Pour yourself an e-cappuccino and c'mon in. This is the spot for idle chat, gossip, rumors, and personal news. If it is personal, it belongs here, as long as it's done well and stays friendly. :-)

Moderator: Carol from East Anglia

#1395968 by Morgen from White Pine
Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:08 pm
OK, I admit it. I'm bored with my site. I don't like it. I don't like all the work I need to do to make the recipes work. It's just too much for me.

I didn't expect to have to learn a whole new way to code to bring it to life. I have to - literally - post the recipe on one site to get the nutrition information. Then, I have to code the thing for my site, then AGAIN to make it printable.

It's just too much for me. I am blocked and fed up.

I think it's a good idea. I wouldn't have got this far if I didn't.

I'm stuck, bored and tired of it. I have another idea I want to pursue, but I've put so much money into this - having a menu set up by a dietician, paying for the dietician, and paying for my site, that I feel like I'm in too far to give up.

OK, my rant is over.
#1395969 by Jacki from Macleod
Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:12 pm
Ugh. That's awful. So sorry!

Don't think of it as a failure, think of it as training for your next idea. Now you know what DOESN'T work, get ready for success.

Oh, and keep your receipts - even though this site may not work, you can still write it all off on your taxes. 8)
#1396006 by Nancy from 90% Persistence-10% Inspiration
Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:20 am
Morgen, have you tried one of the HTML to PDF converters? That would cut out at least one step that you have to do.

Or outsource the conversion. It's probably repetitious and somewhat boring for you. So have someone else do it. And put your energy towards higher value goals.
#1396043 by Wendy C (EelKat) from La Puente
Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:01 am
Not sure what site/program you are using for the nutrition conversion, but perhaps SparkPeople is easier to use? (https://www.sparkpeople.com/) I used to use it several years ago when I was doing a recipe blog on Blogger. I found it pretty easy to use. It's been 4 or 5 years since I last used it though, not sure if they've changed their system since I last used it or not. I've never tried any others so, I'm not sure if there are others that might be easier to work with.

Also there is a way to make ALL the pages on your site printable, without doing it manually one page at a time. It's an html code, you add to a sitewide dot. Puts a little button there, and when someone wants to print the page, they click the button and it auto converts the page to print format for them (strips out sidebars, ads, and whatnot) It's the AddThis Share Button: http://www.addthis.com/get/share It adds buttons to share on FaceBook, Twitter, etc, as well. You set it up to add whatever buttons you want, including the option to email the page or print the page. You add it once to your site and it appears on all pages.

Hope that helps.
#1396064 by Morgen from White Pine
Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:09 pm
Thank you everyone,
I haven't decided what to do yet. I'll look at the resources mentioned in the thread and figure it out.

To take on the next idea, I need to move. Really! It won't work from here. I'll be selling a product found in the desert, and I don't live in the desert. So, I'll have to move.

NP - I actually want to move there!