This is the place to start. A welcoming message from Ken Evoy (creator of Solo Build It!), including a few pearls, words of wisdom to solopreneurs, and other Ken Notes. (There are also some MUST READ Guidelines. Please read before making your first post. Following them is important for smooth-running, friendly forums.)
IMPORTANT for Solo Build It! for WP users: There is a special set of forums below, just for you ("SBI! FOR WP (DAY 6)"). Use those for their specific topics. Otherwise, the entire forums are for you, too. There's no special forums for WPers since we're all solopreneurs and the topics apply to everyone, regardless of sitebuilder being used (BB2, HTML editor or WordPress).

Moderator: ken-admin

Solo Build It! Holiday Special - Save 33%
Read Only
#263034 by ken-admin
Wed May 09, 2007 1:14 pm
To answer questions re sig file, Jim said it best.

It's the spirit of it that counts, the suggested format merely being a recommendation.

And... I'm glad to see the enthusiasm for the marketplace. The intent was not to start a discussion on that here, though. Jim and Debs and other moderators are hard at work on this -- they may be asking for the help of those who really wanted this, so watch for a note by them (but it won't be in this thread ;-) ).

Other attempts at this type of activity on other forums have spun out of control, damaging the integrity of those forums. I'm sure this one will be managed much better, having had a chance to study why others have gone wrong.

The potential UPSIDE of the idea (SBIers providing non-business/marketing goods and services to other SBIers) was too good to say "no." Now we have to structure this to maximize interaction while eliminating the DOWNside potential. But enough about that...

Before Debs splits me off of my own thread... ;-)

Please keep THIS thread to the sig file policy and watch for a post by Debs and Jims about the SBIers' Marketplace. As I mentioned, they may be asking for a new moderator or two to help out with this. :-)

All the best,
Ken

[Edited by Help Elf to avoid spirting sig files. :wink: ]

#263067 by Darren from Old Lyme
Wed May 09, 2007 2:26 pm
Hi

Ken, speak for yourself, I don't spirt in my sig file. :shock:

Darren
#263166 by Margaret from Hallwood
Wed May 09, 2007 7:38 pm
What exactly is the purpose of the sig file? Stop and think about it seriously, what is the reason people use it?

I want to show off my sites, got a great idea to share, running a contest, it is all really the same thing as promoting your sites. Just worded differently. And that alone can become a huge debated topic.
Remember the I-design contest when people were allowed to ask for votes? I didn't like seeing vote for me in the sig files because I couldn't tell if the person was answering the question because they knew an answer or were jumping in the get more exposure.
No one had their posts removed for self promo but it was and well the easiest way to eliminate any instances of it is to totally eliminate the opportunity to do that.

The rules don't have to be complicated! Limit it to just a signature which is the persons name. Nothing else is allowed there, a name and thats it.

The sitenames can all go on the left as William pointed out. (that takes care of the promotional aspect getting abused and allows the showing off of the sites and once over there can't be manipulated by anyone)

If you allow links, site addresses etc... in the sig file area there will be misuse of it.
The creativity of the people here means you will always be seeing new ways in which the rules are worked around. You will have to be reassessing and rewriting the rules every few months. You will have to make sure they are understood by everyone so wording would have to be carefully chosen.

Everyone would understand sig files can only contain your name, not your title, not your website name. Links, quotes and other sentences are not allowed.

Plain and simple rules . There would be no way to debate something that simple.
Your websites will be listed on the left. Your name in a sig file.
There would be nothing that could be argued.

Have Fun
Margaret

Just think how much time that would free up for the moderators to help people. They would'nt be spending valuable time deleting, editing or removing stuff in the sig files. They could spot a breach of rule immediately and they wouldn't waste valuable time debating and explaining the rules.

#265124 by Andres from Albocácer
Tue May 15, 2007 9:30 am
I agree 150% about no pitching, but I'd like to see the sigs retain their individuality - showing as the person's name and a non-promotional phrase, together with their personal URL.

For me, a sig is a way of enriching the people I 'know' via the forums. It adds personal identity to the writer. - for e.g.I read Colin's Bob Dylan quote, and find a common point. It makes the community real.

But of course, the problem is who decides what's a personal phrase and what's promotional. And those who are determined to abuse a liberty such as this will find every twisty avenue to do so.

Is there a way we can work together to protect this community liberty without overloading the moderators?

Josephine

#265190 by Debs from SiteSell
Tue May 15, 2007 1:33 pm
Josephine, there is nothing wrong with quotes in sigs; Ken's guidelines for what a sig should consist of is a recommendation only; however the self-promo part will be strictly enforced.

Debs

#392404 by MJ from South Sutton
Tue Feb 26, 2008 12:57 am
William from East Islip wrote:
Audrey from Kimberly wrote:What about people with multiple sites? If I have more than three sites (I can dream :D ) would I not be able to list them?

I know that I enjoy looking at others' sites and I'll miss knowing about the multiple sites of other SBIers.

Same here. It would be nice if, under our names on the left hand side of the forum, it would list all of our sites instead of just the one with the most pages. There's plenty of room.

Bill

Ok one year later, but although I think this is a good idea, I'd hope it could be an option to which sites you'd not mind listed.

Sometimes when I buy an SBI site from another member and my edits and fixes aren't ready, I'm not ready to share the site yet! :)

Same applies to a site in general that you are not ready to show everyone yet. :)
#505921 by Oystein from Risnes
Wed Sep 24, 2008 1:39 pm
Hi,

Noticed that this thread started a year ago, but here goes... Is my sig-file too pitchy? And I'm not just asking about regulations/rules, but actually if the sig comes off a bit promotional. Don't want to bring any of that stuff into the friendly forums.

Re:

#1216196 by MJ from South Sutton
Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:53 pm
Carla wrote:I wanted to make some money at last
So I put a link in my sig line fast
No one noticed as I hid it well
Within the midst of a tiny url

All at once I saw a glint of gold
It was the Queen of SBI reigning bold
I prayed she'd miss my little blunder
And not descend with lightning and thunder

Oh, was I wrong. She's a tough one, true
Please don't let this happen to you
Edit that sig and get it right
Or the Queen will zap you before twilight!

~Carla

Carla!

I missed this post. :-)