This is the place to start. A welcoming message from Ken Evoy (creator of Solo Build It!), including a few pearls, words of wisdom to solopreneurs, and other Ken Notes. (There are also some MUST READ Guidelines. Please read before making your first post. Following them is important for smooth-running, friendly forums.)
IMPORTANT for Solo Build It! for WP users: There is a special set of forums below, just for you ("SBI! FOR WP (DAY 6)"). Use those for their specific topics. Otherwise, the entire forums are for you, too. There's no special forums for WPers since we're all solopreneurs and the topics apply to everyone, regardless of sitebuilder being used (BB2, HTML editor or WordPress).

Moderator: ken-admin

Read Only
#262807 by ken-admin
Tue May 08, 2007 10:39 pm
Hi Jim,

Yes, that was a good pickup by the moderators. There have actually been people who buy SBI! just to gain access and pitch "Internet marketing products" to SBIers.

There are many reasons why these forums work so well, and the "no pitch" rule is one of them. This is a "help and be helped" place, not a "pitch and be pitched" one.

Sig files have become a way that some folks are working a "pitch" into their posts. Just a few people, really, but this is the sort of thing we must nip in the bud, or it simply becomes weeds that overwhelm a beautiful garden.

The forums have long been a "no affiliate link" zone...

But some have started hiding affiliate links inside NPI subdomains or other types of URLs that redirect to an affiliate link, all within a sig file.

Here is the relevant part of the thread above that Jim is talking about is...

5b) Use a short, "no-pitch" sig. You may add a one-line tag under your name (i.e., directly in the actual post), short and sweet. But, if you want a longer sig (multi-line or longer phrases), you must use your Forum Profile to create it. This makes it easier to monitor all signatures and keep them compliant with the following guidelines...

which also shows:
Links that are NOT allowed elsewhere in the forums (ex. affiliate links, redirect links, promotional links, parked domains, short URLs, etc.) are also not allowed in your sig.

All the best,

P.S. We screen anything related to doing business online -- THAT is all part of keeping SBIers' world "noise-free." For when and how to recommend third party "Net marketing/sales" products, please see...

All the best,
#262840 by Margaret from Hallwood
Wed May 09, 2007 12:23 am

P.S. We will be opening up a marketplace forum where folks can list goods or services from their SBI! sites, everything except Internet marketing stuff (since that starts us down the same slippery slope.)

Thank You Very Much for listening and taking the idea seriously. This is much appreciated.

Have Fun
#262849 by Janet from Mcconnell Afb
Wed May 09, 2007 12:53 am
Ken and Jim,

THANK YOU for letting us know you're listening, and that you are willing to try something new. You've renewed my faith in SBI.

I'm really looking forward to seeing how helpful this can become, and hope it won't become the nightmare some think it will -- although with Debs at the helm, I can't see how it could be!

Now, all you other SBIer's out there, PLEASE behave yourselves in this new forum, and follow the rules to a T, so it doesn't get shut down!

Ken, you've made my day! :lol:

[Domain Private]

#262848 by Mo from Vici
Wed May 09, 2007 12:53 am
Wow, cool. Thanks Ken, etc. -- and thank you Janet -- from [Domain Private] -- for making the suggestion. see -- ... 300#262300.

SBI obviously listens. (of course maybe it was already in the works) Anyway, I'm looking forward to seeing what kind of products SBI'rs have for sale.

This marketplace could become big for many sbi'rs. I could see lots of cross-pollination of e-books, etc. We'll see.

#262852 by Audrey from Kimberly
Wed May 09, 2007 1:02 am
What about people with multiple sites? If I have more than three sites (I can dream :D ) would I not be able to list them?

Actually with the current guidelines, I can't even list both of my current sites. I can list only my company name, tag line, and URL.

My company name is irrelevant, so I would use my personal name. But after that I have to choose which site to list.

Until I took my own sig out to put in a pitch for the usability study, I had

line 1 my name
line 2 URL #1
line 3 URL #2

I know that I enjoy looking at others' sites and I'll miss knowing about the multiple sites of other SBIers.

So I'd like to know if there will be additional guidelines for people with multiple sites.

#262879 by Jim 1 Nelson from Covington
Wed May 09, 2007 2:20 am
OK, Ken. You need to stay on topic. ;-) Everyone, don't forget to notice the point of this thread, about sigs ;-)

There will be more about the marketplace coming very soon.

Janet, Debs should probably be the first to thank for this.

Audrey, yes, there will be provisions for multiple sites. Guidelines and rationale will be clearly stated. [edit - Audrey, sorry, you were talking about sig, thought it was about marketplace.]

I'm sure someone will pick this up elsewhere (if they haven't already) but don't forget to check the guidelines about sigs too ;-)

#262896 by Janet from Mcconnell Afb
Wed May 09, 2007 3:16 am
Hi Jim,

I realize this is not the Wish List, but I just wanted to add my support to Audrey's point about allowing people with multiple SBI sites to list all their url's in their sigs.

#262903 by Jim 1 Nelson from Covington
Wed May 09, 2007 3:43 am
Hi Janet,

While the guideline can still be changed, right now, I don't see that they cannot all be listed. That is the "recommended" format.

It's the "spirit of the law" that's important.

Best wishes,

#262905 by Carla from Hennessey
Wed May 09, 2007 3:46 am
I wanted to make some money at last
So I put a link in my sig line fast
No one noticed as I hid it well
Within the midst of a tiny url

All at once I saw a glint of gold
It was the Queen of SBI reigning bold
I prayed she'd miss my little blunder
And not descend with lightning and thunder

Oh, was I wrong. She's a tough one, true
Please don't let this happen to you
Edit that sig and get it right
Or the Queen will zap you before twilight!

#262906 by Janet from Mcconnell Afb
Wed May 09, 2007 3:46 am
Oh, maybe I misunderstood Audrey's post. Sorry!

#262910 by Jim 1 Nelson from Covington
Wed May 09, 2007 4:02 am

You made me smile BIG time tonight. Thanks for your perspective :-)

#262913 by Natasha from Nordegg
Wed May 09, 2007 4:25 am

:lol: Carla!

But I'm uncertain if my "moderator reviewed resource" still fits the bill. My current sig is below. But this seems to better fit the defined objective marked in bold above...

Natasha Vincent
Recommended Read: "Cover Your Assets" an email excerpt by Paul Myers
[Domain Private]

I'm not attached either way but needed clarification. The other option is to delete but, IMO, it's a good resource for SBIers needing help evaluating their "business inventory" so they can leverage their time investment as webmasters.

(A thousand pardons if this thread is not supposed to be a "Is this okay? Is that okay?" kind of discussion.)

#262982 by William from East Islip
Wed May 09, 2007 10:37 am
Audrey from Kimberly wrote:What about people with multiple sites? If I have more than three sites (I can dream :D ) would I not be able to list them?

I know that I enjoy looking at others' sites and I'll miss knowing about the multiple sites of other SBIers.

Same here. It would be nice if, under our names on the left hand side of the forum, it would list all of our sites instead of just the one with the most pages. There's plenty of room.

#263022 by Debs from SiteSell
Wed May 09, 2007 12:29 pm
Bill, neat idea, post it to the wish list ;)

Natasha, that sig is fine so long as your landing page doesn't pitch (right now it doesn't).

2016 update: *Natasha's signnature no longer has proper content. You may only link to the home page of your site(s), and you may list your social accounts. You may not link to any internal pages of your site(s) without Admin permission. You may never put a call to action in your signature. Please request permission via Support: