Need help with your site? Showing it off? Want someone's opinion about the design, layout, social side, or a specific page? Need a fresh eye? THIS is the place! And remember... pay it forward. C'mon back and help someone who asks for the same. Help and be helped. We recommend that you ask for a full site review once you have 10 pages (including a couple Tier 3s).

Moderator: Maria from Agness

#1365190 by Kim from New Farm
Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:39 am
Hi everyone,

i've just begun the re-write of my itinerary pages.

Here is the first one:

[Domain Private]/new-zealand-itinerary-1.html

I'd love your honest feedback.

regards

Dave
#1365216 by Svetlana from Markdale
Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:25 pm
Hi Dave,

I like the idea of an itinerary, but I'd like to see the map on top to see right away what I am in for.

Also, I just bought something similar for Costa Rica, and I really liked their description, although they are missing photos. I like how they hide descriptions of each day, a separate list of destinations visited, and their cool map:

https://costaricamonkeytours.com/essential-costa-rica/

I dunno if you want to use their content hiding trick, but for me it was very long to go through all your days, i'd rather click on them. In any case, I'd make the sub-headlines like "Day 2 Christchurch" more prominent.
#1365234 by Jill from Westbury
Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:41 pm
You could also add a summary at the top, so they can see day by day what it includes before reading the descriptions. You could also turn those into links, so they could head to a certain section if they didn't know what it was about already.

Diane and Svetlana have some great ideas too!

Jill
#1365244 by Kim from New Farm
Sat Feb 18, 2017 2:40 am
Hi Svetlana, Diane and Jill

thank you for your feedback. Much appreciated.

Yep, I agree it is long, and I suppose I chose a "bad" one to re-write first up, because at 21 days it's the longest itinerary on my site.

Having said that, I love the idea about the drop down. Of course I don't know how to do that :oops: but I could always include a summary at the top of the page listing all the days then use anchor links to take visitors further down the page.

If the drop down thingy is easy to do I'd prefer to do that as I have another 14 pages to re-write.

Great idea about re-positioning the map. The Google one looks a bit cumbersome but it might have to do unless I can find some way of creating a smaller map with the route drawn in (I'm not sure if there is a program somewhere to do that but I'll have a look).

Thank you all again.

regards

Dave
#1365245 by Kim from New Farm
Sat Feb 18, 2017 4:58 am
Hi everyone

I found that I could take a screen shot of the Google map which I've now added at the top of the page. I've kept the interactive map at the bottom of page with an anchor to it in the "Handy Tips".

I've also added a list showing each day with links to the detailed information for each day.

Does that make it more user friendly?

Jill you suggested including a summary but I'm worried if i add a description for each day to the list that it will make it too long. What do you think?

Appreciate your kind help.

Dave
#1365248 by Mary from Mico
Sat Feb 18, 2017 6:03 am
Hi Dave!

I do not have time to read all of this page and I see that you've made some of the suggested changes already, so I want to share that I LOVE your page! I'm using a desktop, so maybe that matters....

If I were interested in going to NZ (which I would be if we win a lottery somewhere), I'd want just such a beautiful page as you have made.

At-A-Glance reaction? I would bookmark this page if I were travelling to SI NZ.

'Just an idea,

Mary
#1365261 by Svetlana from Markdale
Sat Feb 18, 2017 2:29 pm
Hi Dave,

It's better with the short list of days. If you want to hide content, you can google "html code hide content", there are a few ways. Here is the one I use:

Code: Select all<div align="right">   |<i><a href="javascript:;" onClick="document.getElementById('hideaway1').style.display='block';">HERE GOES INVITATION TO OPEN HIDDEN CONTENT</a></i> |  |<i><a href="javascript:;" onClick="document.getElementById('hideaway1').style.display='none';">HERE GOES INVITATION TO CLOSE OPEN CONTENT</a></i>|<br clear="all"></div>

<div id="hideaway1" style="display:none;">
HERE GOES THE HIDDEN CONTENT
</div>

And change the word "hideaway1" in all 3 instances for each item.

Also, same size photos like Diane said, would make it look way better!
#1365281 by Donna from Rocky Mountains
Sat Feb 18, 2017 10:12 pm
Hi Dave,

Just a quick note to say that I am pretty sure that it is against Google Maps usage policies to take screenshots and use them on your website. I'll see if I can find where I read it years and years ago.

Donna
#1365283 by Donna from Rocky Mountains
Sat Feb 18, 2017 10:18 pm
Your page looks great by the way. I like the layout. Given me food for thought that I should get down to writing some too. They have been on my to do list for much too long!

PS. Did you know that your Cookies bar is covering-up part of your top horizontal navigation?
#1365290 by Kim from New Farm
Sun Feb 19, 2017 12:02 am
Hi again

Donna thanks for letting me know about the cookies bar, but I can't see it when I look on my laptop or my tablet. Would it depend what type of device was used to view the page? I wasn't aware of the Google restriction on screen shots. I'll see what I can find. Thanks :D

Svetlana thank you so much for the code. Unfortunately you have encountered a dummy (me) who doesn't understand how to use it or where to put it. :oops:

I have each of the days in the list in separate text boxes in columns within a grid - three columns in all.

Do I put the code in a raw html box at the start of the grid? Or before each of the individual text boxes within the grid (there are 21 of those)?

And if I do, what coding tells it where to stop, and where do I put that?

Do I replace the word "hideaway1" with "Day1" or with "Arrive Christchurch"?

Sorry to be a nuisance.

regards

Dave
#1365292 by Kim from New Farm
Sun Feb 19, 2017 1:06 am
Hi again Donna

I've been trying to clarify the Google Map screenshot issue and found this document:

https://www.google.com/permissions/geoguidelines/attr-guide.html

It seems that as long as I add an attribution then I should be ok, so I added that to the screenshot image:

Just to make sure, I've sent Google an enquiry through their page:

https://enterprise.google.com/maps/#contact-thankyou

Not holding my breath for a reply.

regards

Dave
#1365293 by Svetlana from Markdale
Sun Feb 19, 2017 3:30 am
I am not sure about where to put it in block builder. Try to put the whole upper part of the code in html box above the text box, and lower part - only the code </div> - put under the text box. The words "HERE GOES THE HIDDEN CONTENT" would be your entire text box.

The text "hideaway1" you can replace with any one word, like day1, but make sure it's the same in the 3 places. then the next one would be "day2" etc.