Need help with your site? Showing it off? Want someone's opinion about the design, layout, social side, or a specific page? Need a fresh eye? THIS is the place! And remember... pay it forward. C'mon back and help someone who asks for the same. Help and be helped. We recommend that you ask for a full site review once you have 10 pages (including a couple Tier 3s).

Moderator: Maria from Agness

#1370779 by Tobias & Stephanie from Hardyville
Wed May 10, 2017 10:45 am
Hi everyone,

We just revamped the sales page of one of our more popular products and I'd be really grateful for your feedback!

Here's the OLD version:
[Domain Private]

And here's the NEW version:
[Domain Private]

The old layout was more like a content page, while the new layout is more like a typical e-commerce product sales page. I'd love to hear your thoughts on which one you found more usable, and which one (if any) would have made you more likely to purchase.

Tobias
#1370788 by Jacki from Macleod
Wed May 10, 2017 2:15 pm
I like both of them! If I had to choose between the pages, I would be hard pressed to decide. They're both great. :D Sorry, it's too hard to pick one that is 'best'.
#1370791 by Mary from old-fashion-recipe.com
Wed May 10, 2017 3:11 pm
Hi Tobias,

I like the NEW page much better. I viewed the first page 1st and thought, they can't improve this. Then I went to the second page. Same content. But, my first impression was "There is is". I didn't have to scroll to "see" what you were talking about. I saw the image upon landing and while I was reading. I like that flow.

Cheers,

MaryO
#1370859 by Tobias & Stephanie from Hardyville
Thu May 11, 2017 2:05 pm
Thanks everyone for the feedback!

Jacki: if you like both of them equally, that's useful feedback for us too! Sometime we spend a lot of time "improving" something when actually the previous version was perfectly good enough for our visitors, and that's useful for us to know.

MaryO: good point about the main content being above the fold. I'm glad you found that to be a good user experience!

Will: In round numbers, tablet and mobile together account for 60% of pageviews of the sales page, but only 30% of the sales. I'm not sure whether that means the page was providing a sub-par experience for mobile users, or whether people are just less likely to purchase from their phone/tablet anyway. I'd love to hear any thoughts you might have on this.

Diane: Thanks! I'm glad you like the new layout.

MaryF: Thanks! I'm glad you like it :-)

Tobias
#1370920 by Donna from Rocky Mountains
Fri May 12, 2017 6:48 am
I actually like the first one best.
The large image of a framed print has a much better impact. And in the second my eyes don't know where to look first under "Make my Poster Now". I know the box layout is just the same in this section as in the first, but in the first the smaller size means that you can take it all in in one go without having to flick left and right.
Just my ten cents worth. Great product :)
#1370951 by Tobias & Stephanie from Hardyville
Fri May 12, 2017 5:58 pm
Donna: Thanks for your feedback - I know what you mean. I find a narrower page easier to scan, and the larger poster image with the old layout was a plus.
#1371337 by Will from Los Ojos
Wed May 17, 2017 5:38 pm
Hi Tobias,

I took a look at the mobile page, and here are some of the things that struck me. You said that the majority of your traffic is not on desktop, with 2 out of 3 visitors using mobile or tablets. That fits with a lot of the sites that I'm seeing these days.

Research seems to show that mobile users consistently move from one device to another during any single day. They'll research on smartphones, but then tend to move to another device when purchasing. Typically, conversion rates are 2 or 3 times higher on desktops than on smartphones, which fits with what you're seeing. I myself generally move across 3 devices during the day, but buy 90% of the time on the desktop.

Here are a couple of links for background on this.
http://www.smartinsights.com/mobile-marketing/mobile-marketing-analytics/mobile-marketing-statistics/

https://ssl.gstatic.com/think/docs/mobile-path-to-purchase-5-key-findings_research-studies.pdf

So I'm kind of thinking that it's important to get them a smooth mobile experience, and to make it easy for them to pick up the thread again on the desktop.

I don't know how easy it would be to add a mailto link/button to the mobile page, which would open the default email program with the link for the page already in the body of the mail. The visitor could then send themselves an email link to read later. Might be worth investigating.

There are a couple of things I'd consider if this was my page.

I like the image at the top - very good. The gallery is very effective on the mobile, although I found it less intuitive on the desktop. On desktop, I couldn't see the arrows very clearly, and there's a disconnect between the thumbnails and the image itself. It might be because they're not centered under the image, but it took me a couple of scans before I realized it was a sliding gallery. It's easier to "get" the layout on the old version but overall, I like the new version better.

After the introduction, I'd be tempted to put a bullet point list of jump links down the page. This would give an idea of the length of the page, as well as the opportunity to jump down the page. It would depend on how long the list became. If it was too long, that wouldn't be good.

Personally I'd move the testimonials to the end, so the page flow would read

Make My poster now
Example poster wording
Printing your poster
Framing your poster
FAQ
Testimonials

I can see why you have the testimonials at the top, establishing trust etc, but on the mobile it's stopping me seeing more information about the product. They're quite long, and it's only on the fourth swipe that I get to more information. The blockquotes also don't look quite right on mobile. They're a bit thin, which make them awkward to read, and they're longer than they need to be, but that's just a CSS thing and easy to alter.

If having the reviews at the end is good enough for Amazon, it's good enough for me, lol.

Like AJ, I find it odd that there is so much focus on the desktop view. Generally, more visitors arrive onto your site on mobile, and it's the first touch point. Google says the SERPS will become mobile first eventually. Putting it another way, this afternoon's mobile visitor is this evening's desktop purchaser :)

Will
#1371422 by Charlotte from Rose Creek
Thu May 18, 2017 11:24 am
I kind of like the first one. What I like is that I might not know I want to buy a poster. I'm probably just browsing around thinking, "Oh, I need a really great gift but I don't know what to get." I like that rather than showing me your poster like everyone else does - there's lots of 'Year Born' posters around the internet - you're telling me through the headline, "Here's a gift that they'll love AND you can get it even if you're not feeling creative and even if you're short of time - but you're still making it personal and putting thought, love and care into the choosing and giving of that gift."
I like that in the first one you're helping me with my dilemma not selling me your product (even though you are really).

I really like your site, by the way - I did happen upon it in the course of normal browsing a few months ago and spent some time perusing it - and I'm bookmarking it again now for thoughtful gifts :)
#1371469 by Tobias & Stephanie from Hardyville
Thu May 18, 2017 8:01 pm
Will, Charolotte, thank you for your thoughtful replies!

I'm not working today and tomorrow, so I will write a proper reply early next week.

Tobias
#1372045 by Tobias & Stephanie from Hardyville
Wed May 24, 2017 9:06 pm
Will,

Good point about the way that people use mobile phones, and then transition to desktop for purchase!

I had a similar thought to you about the "mail to myself" button. In fact I'm testing it on another sales page just using a hotjar poll that says "would you like me to email you a link to this page so you can come back to it later?". So far the response rate is low, but maybe it's because a poll isn't the idea user interface.

Thanks for your feedback on the slider gallery. That's strange about the thumbnails not matching the image. I'll have to double check on a few computers.

Good point about the blockquotes not looking right on mobile. I'll fix that.

About the testimonials, I'm not so sure. On amazon, the reviews are the bottom, but the star rating (which is the social proof signal that I'm after) is right at the top next to the product. I don't have a star rating, so I'm relying on #Pinterest pins + testimonials for social proof. If I put the testimonials at the bottom I don't think people will see them. One option would be for me to sign up with trustpilot or similar, and get actual star reviews.

Charlotte,

Thanks for your feedback about the wording on the two pages! I'm glad you brought it up. With the new layout, there's less room for descriptive text, so I cut out the talk about benefits and went straight to features. I'm really glad that you liked the wording on the old page. I wasn't sure if it would come across as cheesy, and it's hard for me to see the page with new eyes and not as the business owner who already knows the product inside out.

So far, the new layout seems to be generating fewer sales than the old one. I'll give it a full month and then compare, and hopefully I'll have statistically significant data.