Need help with your site? Showing it off? Want someone's opinion about the design, layout, social side, or a specific page? Need a fresh eye? THIS is the place! And remember... pay it forward. C'mon back and help someone who asks for the same. Help and be helped. We recommend that you ask for a full site review once you have 10 pages (including a couple Tier 3s).

Moderator: Maria from Agness

#1373327 by Kim from New Farm
Fri Jun 09, 2017 11:19 am
Hi everyone

I've just refreshed my homepage and would appreciate your feedback.

[Domain Private]

Appreciate your thoughts.

Dave
#1373328 by Stephen from Monroeville
Fri Jun 09, 2017 11:50 am
hi dave ... i'll give you my personal thoughts if you like

what i liked
i love the pictures on the homepage content, the way they presented .... the way the content is laid out is great, so clean , feels nice ... i like the bottom when you show the partners, feels authoritative .... i also liked the title , i knew what your website was about the moment i landed on it

what i didn't really like
I'm not a designer but i didn't like the background you have .. feeling dizzy ... also i saw your header image take time to load , it was the last thing to load , my internet is nothing to be ashamed at yet not super fast ... it's unusual for me for something to load so long ... i think i would consider just compressing it ... there's free tools on line for that like https://tinyjpg.com/ .... last thing i thought the header image was rather large, and the content a little way down the page ... i prefer them not so big and the first content higher
#1373336 by Vicki from Lilbourn
Fri Jun 09, 2017 2:33 pm
Hi Dave

Looked at it on my phone (Samsung galaxy). This is what I saw going down vertically:
First- no header, white space with an orange menu button on the right.
Next- a large grey rectangle with Follow" with a pinterest button under that and a Facebook button under that. These are somewhat obscured by all your (6) social media buttons stickied on the left
Next- a Google search bar (small, centered)
Next- white space
Next- Haere mai
Next- (welcome) and a small picture
Next- to
Next- New

Then I have to scroll for more. I'm not sure what is making each word appear on a separate line, but there basically is nothing useful showing at first view.

Vicki
#1373413 by Kim from New Farm
Fri Jun 09, 2017 11:42 pm
Hi Stephen and Vicki

Many thanks for your feedback.

Stephen I've noticed the same problem with the header but only occasionally. I'll have a look at compressing the image as suggested.

Vicki your feedback is valuable also because if you are having trouble with the display then so will others. It's a responsive design so I assumed that it would display ok on all devices.

Looks like I need to do some research and find out how to fix it.

Much appreciated.

Dave
#1373421 by Kim from New Farm
Sat Jun 10, 2017 1:03 am
Hi again

I had a look on my phone (an LG) and noticed the same issues that you had Vicki, but only in portrait. When I turned it to landscape it displays properly.

So I went into Site Designer and checked the portrait and landscape views for a few different mobile devices and noticed the same issues when viewed in portrait.

So should I fiddle with all of the different portrait settings? I thought most people would view in landscape rather than portrait.

Confused.

regards

Dave
#1373431 by Kim from New Farm
Sat Jun 10, 2017 5:28 am
Hi Stephen and Vicki

I've reduced the size of my header and have taken some of the depth out of it so that more of my content now shows above the fold:
[Domain Private]/

Still trying to work out how to make a header show in portrait mode on phones and also trying to make some changes to headings and font sizes.

regards

Dave
#1373639 by Moorea S. from USA
Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:56 pm
Hi Dave,

I loved the photos and the maps.

The main thing is that it's not clear to me whether this is a website by a likable family who wants to share their love and knowledge of NZ or a faceless commercial enterprise.

I noticed there's a sales link at the beginning of your homepage. I'm far from a travel agent, so take this with a grain of salt, but don't you want to first gain your readers' trust and then later insert the sales pitches?

The end of your first chunk of text ends with, "Come and join us, New Zealand Travel Showcase." It sounds a little impersonal to me. Since this was my first visit to your site, it made me wonder who's "New Zealand Travel Showcase"?

Hope this helps, and best of luck! You made me remember my short visit to NZ fondly.

Moorea
#1373674 by Kim from New Farm
Tue Jun 13, 2017 3:24 am
Hi Moorea

thanks for your kind reply.

I understand what you are saying. I do tell people about us under the "Us" tab on the Nav Bar, but maybe as you say, I need to personalize my home page a little more.

I'll give it some thought.

regards

Dave
#1374243 by Kim from New Farm
Sun Jun 18, 2017 5:03 am
Hi

I've re-written my home page and I think it's more "welcoming" now.

[Domain Private]/

What do you think?

regards

Dave