Need help with your site? Showing it off? Want someone's opinion about the design, layout, social side, or a specific page? Need a fresh eye? THIS is the place! And remember... pay it forward. C'mon back and help someone who asks for the same. Help and be helped. We recommend that you ask for a full site review once you have 10 pages (including a couple Tier 3s).

Moderator: Maria from Agness

#1395874 by Della from Tangier
Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:05 am
Hello! I started my rugby site about 6 months ago. I have 22 content pages so far. I would love your input and advice to make sure I am headed in the right direction. All constructive feedback is greatly appreciated. Even if you rarely comment in these forums, a couple words regarding your first impression would also be helpful. Thank you everyone!
#1395881 by Cath, SiteSell Content Team
Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:59 am
Good morning, Della,

What a great subject for parents (and grandparents) who know nothing about rugby - love it!

I also love your easy-to-read, conversational style of writing and the use of large and impressive images. Nice work!

Here comes what I hope will be the constructively helpful part...

I looked particularly at your home page, since that's the door to our sites, and my reaction is there is too much "I" there. Site visitors are really not very interested in us initially. With time, as they get to know us, they know more about us, but at first it's all "me, me, me" as far as our audience is concerned!

So I would re-focus that page more on the site visitor. You have a great phrase on your About page: "A beginner’s guide to rugby created for everybody who wants to watch, learn and support rugby". I would start there.

For example, your first headline (instead of "Rugby - Crushing Excitement") might be "A Beginner's Guide to Rugby" which tells visitors instantly what the site is about. When I saw "Crushing Excitement" I wasn't at all sure what it meant - would this site be about rugby injuries? Or how people should avoid it because they might get injured?

What to you is stunningly clear will not be clear to the person who visits your site for the first time. You have to think like a site visitor. Who is your target visitor? What do they want to know? What problems do they have that you're going to help them resolve? Address those issues first.

For example, if your target visitor is the parent / grandparent whose child is about to play rugby and they're terrified about the possibilities of injury, address that immediately. Something like:

"Is your child or grandchild about to start playing rugby?

Are you terrified about what may happen to them playing such a rough game?

I know how you feel!".

So you're introducing yourself, but only in relation to how you can help them. I'd also add in some more personal images, if you can - perhaps you and / or your family enjoying a rugby game, for example. So the whole page becomes a combination of visitor-focused and personalised. They have the problem. You have the solution.

I recently led a Challenge in the forums about how to write a product review page. Several people who took part said they would use the step-by-step we went through to structure all the pages on their website. So it may help you to read that through - it's been turned into a series of three articles which are in our MHQ - this is a link.

When reading through it, think "page" instead of "product". In other words, where I talk in the articles about the product being the solution, your product here is your page - it's the page you're trying to get your audience to "buy" into. If that makes sense...

Obviously, some of the steps won't fit at the moment (they will when you start monetising, though!) but the initial articles are all about the customer and how to both identify and address their needs in a way which will more or less compel them to stay on your site / take your advice.

Once you have your site visitor firmly at the front of your mind, the focus will come.

I hope that's helpful. As I said at the start, you have a great website with a compelling theme and a potentially very well targeted audience.

I love it!

Cath.
#1395902 by Linda from lifeinpei.com
Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:25 pm
Hello Della,

How exciting to be creating a website business about something you are
passionate about! SBI is fabulous for teaching us how to do that.

For what it's worth this is my first review of someone's site so take what
I say with a grain of salt.

I don't pretend to be a good judge of sites as my site is very new and I know it
needs lots of improvement. I haven't even asked for a review yet so you are very
courageous and obviously serious about getting things right from the get go which is
very commendable.

The only reason I am doing this is because you stated,
Even if you rarely comment in these forums, a couple words regarding your first impression would also be helpful.

My first impression was of the action packed picture you have at the top of your page.
Although it is a fantastic picture that captures the excitement of what most rugby players would love, my
reaction was one of fear for any young person (especially a child, or grandchild) playing this game. It's a good picture but maybe put it somewhere else on your site instead of smack in your face when a new person visits your site. However, I guess it depends on who your target viewer is.

The good thing I read at the top right was that it was an "official" fan page which gave credibility to you and the website and made me want to read more but then I read that you were new to this and just learning so
I felt that you weren't really an authority on Rugby. So, there was a bit of contradiction there.

Hope my comments help... Just giving my first impression (from someone not familiar with the game
and perhaps your target audience) for what it's worth. :roll:

Linda
#1396000 by Della from Tangier
Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:55 am
Thank you Cath and Linda - these responses are insightful and very helpful. I really appreciate your time and plan to revamp my site taking into consideration your comments.
#1396186 by Della from Tangier
Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:18 am
I took the advice from Cath and Linda and did an overhaul of my home page. Would you mind taking another look? Thanks!
#1396263 by Linda from lifeinpei.com
Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:50 am
Hi Della,

I visited your page again and found that the new picture you put up was a little less frightening! ...lol
Also...Your tag line, "Rugby 101 - A Beginner's Guide" was a good change. It made me feel like I might
learn about Rugby at my own level/pace.

Sounds like you're going to be your son's biggest fan and support. Good for you. He must be happy
about that.

All the best with you site.

Linda