All you ever need to build traffic is in the various HQs of Solo Build It! (other traffic-related topics in DAY 9 of the AG, see those forums below, too). Gotta great idea or a question that's not covered elsewhere? For example, even solopreneurs can start their own affiliate programs to build traffic and income - need help with that? This is the right spot for you.

Moderators: Stephen from Monroeville, Wendy from Toronto

#1348808 by Tom from Saint-henri-de-taillon
Thu Jun 02, 2016 10:30 am
I am doing this for http://www.what-is-hvac and my traffic is increasing in leaps and bounds. Hope it helps.
Select any page on your website and google the main keyword. Then use the titles of most popular google pages as keywords.
Put all keywords in title up to 70 characters to suit google bots. Closer to 70 the better.
Then write your description to include all keywords by starting a statement that uses "keyword" speaks to other keywords.
Closer to 180 characters the better.

In the main body of the page, ensure your first line of text includes again "keyword" and then use speaks to other keywords.
Build each page this way starting with index page.
A very bright young man that I met on a website analysis firm did a quick free analysis for me.
BOTTOM LINE IS IT IS WORKING LIKE CRAZY. Hope it helps fellow SBIers.

Tom

MODERATOR CAUTION: https://forums.sitesell.com/viewtopic.php?f=69&t=220011#p1348835
#1348820 by Vicki from Lilbourn
Thu Jun 02, 2016 1:44 pm
Hi Tom

Could you give an example using real keywords, because I'm not sure I"m following you, particularly as regards to, "speaks to". Is that literally what you say?

Vicki
#1348821 by Tom from Saint-henri-de-taillon
Thu Jun 02, 2016 2:22 pm
My reference of "real keyword" is to a keyword as found using SBI keyword search program.
I use it and then google that phrase.
I then use the title of the top 3 websites shown on the page as other keywords for the page.
You can check the index page for [Domain Private]

Hope that helps.
#1348824 by Dee from Cape Cod
Thu Jun 02, 2016 3:40 pm
Hi Tom -

Sorry, but I'm afraid I'm also not understanding your explanation.

Your T1 (index) page is: what-is-hvac.html.

Looking at the source code for that page, the title appears as: HVAC For Beginners. (That's not even close to 70 characters.)

What is the "real keyword" to which you refer? Is it "HVAC for beginners", or is it "what is hvac"?

Your description is: Building Systems Information and HVAC Basics also known as HVAC for Beginners explains how the many systems in a modern building function.

What words/phrases did you take from the top 3 websites?

Sorry to be so slow on the uptake here. More detailed explanation would help this old brain get it, I'm sure! :oops:

Best Regards,

Dee
#1348828 by Tom from Saint-henri-de-taillon
Thu Jun 02, 2016 4:20 pm
The title on the homepage is indeed 70 characters with HVAC for Beginners being the first info in the title. The first keyword is hvac for beginners. The domain is [Domain Private]
#1348829 by Vicki from Lilbourn
Thu Jun 02, 2016 5:02 pm
I'm sorry Tom, but Dee is right. Your source code clearly says that "HVAC For Beginners" is your title...with nothing else after it. Perhaps you meant your H1 headline? Also, you have the keyword, "how buildings work" in your keyword box twice.

Vicki
#1348833 by Tom from Saint-henri-de-taillon
Thu Jun 02, 2016 5:18 pm
The title I'm referring to folks is the title on the index page, the home page.
Yes probably the H1 deadline.
#1348835 by Wendy from Toronto
Thu Jun 02, 2016 6:00 pm
A word of caution: Sites were keyword stuffing titles and headlines prior to the panda and penguin algorithms hitting and paid a price for it. In fact, many titles and headlines that were stuffed were clunky and did not contribute to a good user experience. That also created an unprofessional look to the content and decreased credibility for the site(s) in many cases. Keeping user experience in mind is critical. It's good to creatively use any advantage available if you keep it real and keep the visitor in mind. I can see this idea going down a slippery slope to manipulation of the search engines again if caution is not exercised.

While I can appreciate doing research to see what is trending and taking advantage of adding subheads that might be popular, I would stop short of trying to squish them all into an H1 headline. Also, unless the headline is generic and used over and over online, copying compelling headlines others worked hard to craft isn't ethical. Be inspired by how the sites weave the keyphrase into their headlines, but think twice about whether you want to start copying 70 plus characters of someone else's work.

So, the idea of being inspired by top headlines and weaving your unique spin of them into subheads on your page(s) is good, but how far you take the direct copying of other site content and stuffing of multiple headlines into one in an effort to manipulate ranking could result in the opposite effect you are aiming for a little down the line.
#1348837 by Timothy from Glen Hope
Thu Jun 02, 2016 6:26 pm
Tom, I like it. What a cool concept. I got it right away. I checked Google to see if what Tom says is a good idea. I queried Google with my keyword phrase for a new page I am building. Well, I did not get the results I was hoping for. The top websites were not using secondary keywords that made sense. These sites must have other on or off page criteria for ranking so high. I did notice that the top 4 sites all had lengthy <title> and <description> tags. But heck I have been using this technique on my sites for a very long time. Also they were all worded very well. Which indicates that user readability is probably an important factor for ranking.

As for length of Title and Description tags Tom is right about the number characters to use. Be careful here this can backfire easily. The problem is keyword stuffing which Google frowns upon. Too many keywords repeated too often is a clear indication of search engine manipulation. So, don't repeat yourself. Don't repeat yourself. Don't repeat yourself because it gets annoying and the search engines hate it. Am I right?

Hope this helps.

Tim
#1348838 by Douglas from Planet Earth
Thu Jun 02, 2016 6:29 pm
Hi Tom,

I completely agree with Wendy on this one. You may have a big increase in
traffic for a short period of time and then take a major beating later. If this
happens and you "fix" things, you will still be punished for some time
by the Google Gods.

Be careful.

Cheers,

Doug C.
#1365490 by Kevin from Pointe Aux Pins
Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:03 pm
Tom...

As long as the keywords that you are using in the meta-description and/or meta-title can be substantiated by the content of that page the technique you describe is OK. Of course, never stuff keywords, the page focus is a maximum of 5 keywords with typically one single keyword being being the page focus.

The technique you describe is advocated during keyword research, before any page content has been built, to better understand the successful context of the keyword(s).

Kevin
#1383026 by Tiffany from Dulce
Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:13 pm
Tom, I just found this thread. It's been over a year I'm curious to know if this method is still working for your site? Any updates?