All you ever need to build traffic is in the various HQs of Solo Build It! (other traffic-related topics in DAY 9 of the AG, see those forums below, too). Gotta great idea or a question that's not covered elsewhere? For example, even solopreneurs can start their own affiliate programs to build traffic and income - need help with that? This is the right spot for you.

Moderators: Stephen from Monroeville, Wendy from Toronto

33% OFF The World’s Most Effective Web Business-Builder - Solo Build It!
#1386257 by Sarah from Goessel
Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:14 pm
Hi,

I used to have another sbi site on golf and had about 500 visitors per day. This was before the google penguin and panda updates. I got all this traffic from the search engines and was just adding content regularly. When google changed things around, about 6 years ago, my traffic started dipping and I ended up cancelling my other golf websites and now only have the site for my golf lesson business.

It seemed that other ways to build traffic either costed $ or took too much time. Now I've discovered instagram and it seems that with the #'s you can get a lot of views and potentially traffic to a website. This made me think maybe I should create another golf site to sell ebooks on like I used to.

Basically, my main question is can I get 500 to 10,000 visitors per day to a new site? It would be focused on golf and I've sold a lot of golf ebooks that I wrote 5-10 years ago. Would instagram help get traffic to my website? Are there any other ways to get traffic that really work well? I don't want to spend the time to do a new site if it's going to be a ton of work to get a little traffic. Before the google penguin and panda updates I was getting a lot of traffic (500 visitors a day) relatively easily by just adding good content. I was able to monetize this by selling ebooks and using google adsense and was making $500-1000 per month.

Thanks,
Sarah Pesavento
#1386265 by Joseph from Mount Laurel
Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:12 am
Hi,

Well for some reason, Google has made sure we do not get the traffic that we use to get. Don't know why as no one has ever explained it here.

75% less than 2012 and going down every year. Still dropping little by little every year.

Yet millions more are now on the internet with a very sharp increase in mobile users.
So with mobile gone crazy we should be going up in traffic, not down. People are on their cell like all waking hours, their face is glued to it.

Just doesn't make sense, something is not right with the situation.

Everyone should just chart out your traffic over the last 6 or 8 years and take a good look at what I mean.

I pity the webmasters who are not with SBI as their traffic must be null and void.

Not a rant, just fact. That's the way Google wants it.
#1386274 by Wendy C (EelKat) from La Puente
Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:59 am

I would think 500 visits a day on a site less then 3 years old would be difficult for most any site these days, because you need a LOT of pages to gain traction these days and it takes a year or more to write up that many pages and only sites a decade old ever seem to get 10,000 visits a day.

Since 2013, most my SBI site has ever gotten was 77,000 views in one month, but that was a fluke, back in February that had been caused by some tweet Trump said, so everybody who had a page on that particular topic suddenly got lots of traffic. I couldn't understand it at all, because that page normally got a few visits a month (as in maybe 10) then it suddenly got 77k all at once. And then didn't get any more traffic again, went back to normal. It was about 2 months later I found out about the Trump tweet and I was ooooooh, now I get it.

Most months my SBI site gets around 14k views (on slow months it dips down to 7k) which is about 400 visits a day (200 on the low months). But it has 1,627 pages (as of today) and each page gets only 1 or 2 views a day with many pages getting no views for weeks to a time. Right now my goal is to get to to 25k every month (done it a few times but it's very hard to do) and then once I'm getting 25k consistently, my next goal is to reach 50k a month. I'm thinking I should be able to get to 50k a month (about 1,500 a day) by the end of 2018 (for it's 5th anniversary) ... hopefully.

But here's the thing... I get between 50 to 60 views a day from Google and 20 to 30 views a day from Bing. Search engine traffic is sending me fewer then 100 views a day!

Most of my views come from YouTube (link to my site in description of each of my daily vlogs), Twitter (I've been on Twitter since 2008 and have 10k+ followers, most of whom are readers of my books), FaceBook (I run 17 groups and pages, mostly for short story authors and fantasy novelists, plus also fanpages for my novels), Tumblr (a writer's/authors blog), BlogSpot (another blog), and Reddit (I run 8 subreddits/forums that I built there). I also get traffic from my LinkedIn, LiveJournal, Pinterest, Instagram, and Google+ but not that much, maybe only 10 a day from each.

Plus I'm on several forums for authors and gamers and my SBI is in the sig of each of my forum accounts, and every time I post in one of the forums (about a dozen different ones) I'll get about 20 or 40 views that day and a few more each day for the rest of that week. I try to make at least one new post on each forum each week.

If I wasn't daily making 1 to 5 new pages on my SBI site, then daily posting them on each of my social network accounts, and daily writing posts for my blogs and subReddits, all that in between daily working on my next novel, I wouldn't have the traffic I've got.

Search engines only send my about 1/5th of my total daily traffic. The rest is all from me being very, very, very, very active on social media.

Days I'm sick and can't post, I get almost no traffic.

My fans love my work, but they don't just randomly head to my site looking for it. They wait for me to post on a social network and tell them: "Here's today's new page about....Enjoy!" They come if I post the link out there. My notification squad fam is loyal, but they wait for me to tell them there is something new for them to come read.

So, yeah, 500 visits a day, is doable, but it REALLY takes a LOT of work. I'm putting about 6 hours a day into writing new content, making new pin pictures, posting on social media... and not just posting links... but actually talking with my readers and answering their questions and stuff as well.

Then I'm putting in 8 hours a day writing and editing my novels, which I in turn publish on Amazon and link to my SBI site and sell off my site.

So, yeah, I know you can get 500 a day, without search engines, just relying on social media, because I'm doing it but, I'm also doing it as a full time career/business/job with long full time hours to do it. And doing it with a LOT of social media accounts all over the place, not just one. For me instagram only accounts for 1 or 2 visits a day, so if I relied just on instagram I wouldn't get much traffic. But that could be because of my niche.

All you can do is try it and see what results you get because every site, every niche is going to be different.

Joseph from Mount Laurel wrote:I pity the webmasters who are not with SBI as their traffic must be null and void.

Yep. I still have a few non-SBI sites that I haven't shut down yet. Traffic plummeted on them. Most are lucky if they get 100 views a month. Horrible. SBI is definitely better.
#1386297 by Susan from Ash Flat
Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:36 pm
Hi Sarah,
I don't think there's an answer to this question, because there are so many variables and the SE's do seem very unpredictable these days. Social media can drive a lot of traffic, but as Jacki says, they can change their policies at any time and if the majority of your traffic comes from Instagram for example, it could be wiped out in one fell swoop :shock:

Of course, if Google drops a site, or even a bunch of pages on a site, then your traffic is also going to tank!

I also agree with Joseph because I've seen a drop in visitor numbers across all my sites over the last 18 months to 2 years. Some are affected more significantly than others but there is a general pattern of decline.

However, it IS possible to get decent visitor numbers to a website fairly quickly. I started a site back in January of 2015. It didn't have great numbers for the concept keyword but I had a feeling that there was demand and had decent numbers for many T2 and T3 pages. It took off very well and although it's dropped a bit since January of this year it's the most stable of my sites. It had an average of about 2000 unique visitors a day within a year, got up to almost 5000 daily by the end of the second year, and is currently down around 3500. Trouble is I can't say WHY it did so well, if I knew that I'd replicate it on the other sites which are struggling harder :roll: As far as I can tell only Google (and the other SE's to some extent) know what the heck is going on with ranking and such... just wish I could get a handle on it.

So, although there's no way to say whether or not a new site will do well for you, and quickly, it is possible, but the only way to find out is to put in the effort and see what happens....
#1386319 by Debs from SiteSell
Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:51 pm
A couple things we should all focus on besides content (content is still king, but you don't want a one trick pony website/business either!).

1. did you niche it down far enough? If you only have 10 or 20 hours a week to work on your online business, choose a much narrower niche, you will have greater opportunity to rank and over deliver to your visitors than if you go for a broader niche. And stay within your niche until you OWN it. Then, and only then, consider how you might broaden JUST a tad until you own that slightly broader niche, etc.

2. search intent - didn't use to be quite as important as it is now - figure out if your pages REALLY meet the search intent Google thinks they should - check the top 10 results for your primary keyword, even a secondary keyword or two. Why are they ranking higher than you?

3. social - social is more important than ever; but it is best to be really good at one or two channels than mediocre at 5 channels. Post multiple times a day, be willing to share other sites of interest to your visitors. Not competition, complementary sites!

4. try to get one high quality inbound link for each page of content, just one is all you need to start the ball rolling

5. use social icons such as Socialize It!, ShareThis, AddThis or similar ... you only need one of these so your visitors can help share your pages with others, having 2 or more is overkill and doesn't look professional.

6. Content freshness - are you updating older pages regularly? Even adding a good quality paragraph will help your page as Google places importance upon content freshness. (update - added note about freshness)

7. Have you switched to https yet? (updated)

Can you get to 500 unique visitors a day in a year? Absolutely ... 6 months? Sure, if you niche it down properly. Can you get to thousands and thousands of visitors a day? Dan from [Domain Private] is proof of that with 1 million (Yes, MILLION) page views for October, and he started his site in 2010! https://forums.sitesell.com/viewtopic.php?f=80&t=224156

I hope this helps even a tad ;)

All my best,

Debs
Last edited by Debs from SiteSell on Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:22 pm, edited 2 times in total. Reason: Update, added #6, added #7
#1386590 by Cath from Italy
Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:06 pm

Hi Sarah (and all)

We need to be a bit careful about comparing our own individual website figures - it's too anecdotal. People whose numbers have gone down will be counter-balanced by those whose numbers have gone up. Both my sites have actually increased in visitor numbers over the years (one since 2007 and one since 2012) and both continue to do so. I know several (many!) SBIers who would say the same, and some who'd say their numbers have dropped.

But there are general points to be made, I think. As Debs says, the world of the internet has changed a lot and we need to change with it. These days it's critically important not to rely on any one method to get site visits.

Will Instagram work for you? It depends entirely on whether your potential customers hang out there. For me, it doesn't work for my chickens site - my chickens people are all on FB and Pinterest, both of which bring me a lot of traffic - but it does work (as does Pinterest but not so much FB) for my Italian site because it's very visual. It's a question of testing it out and doing some research. For example, look at your competitors - where do they hang out? Are they successful there? Getting a lot of engagement? If so, chances are you could make it work for you, too.

The people I know (including me) whose numbers are increasing use a combination of all these things:

• SEO
  • Social media platforms (finding one or two where people hang out and really developing a skill in using them)
  • Building an email list and using it (maybe the most important - it brings people back to your site time after time if it's done properly)
  • Being aware of things like Amazon authorship pages, if you sell books - I get traffic from my bio there
  • Being aware of what our site visitors want, and doing more of it. For example, I'm currently working on developing more video content because when I look at the pages which have the most visitors for the longest time (an average of 6 minutes in my case) they are all pages with my own videos.

So yes, it can certainly be done. It takes a lot of hard work and it takes a willingness to analyse your site and what's working / what's not - and doing more of the one and less of the other!

Hope that helps.

Cath.
#1386627 by Harvey from Woodbridge
Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:03 pm
Hi Sarah,

Jacki had it bang on the money when she said "I don't think there is a magic bullet."

Here's the bottom line, the way I see it...

1) You want to start a golf site to earn some extra income, on top of whatever you earn through providing golf lessons to locals.

2) You don't want to put in months and years of hard work building your golf site if it doesn't ultimately yield much monetizable traffic. (And you're concerned that it's much tougher now than it was back in pre-Panda and pre-Penguin days.)

3) You figure that maybe Instagram is an easier way to build traffic than ranking on Google.

--

I know nothing about Instagram, so I can't say for sure that you're wrong, but I do know this much is true...

If Instagram were an "easy" way to build traffic, everyone would be doing it. As soon as "everyone" starts doing it, it inevitably becomes a more difficult way to build traffic.

So if you've already missed the Instagram gravy train (which I'm guessing you have), then it won't be disproportionately easier to build traffic via IG vs. building it via Google or Facebook or YouTube -- or paying for it via Facebook ads or AMS ads.

It's entirely possible that there's a nascent traffic-building strategy out there that other businesses haven't heard about yet, and that's therefore "easy."

But notwithstanding that, you've basically got to...

1) Pick your preferred way of building traffic (or buying traffic if you're not averse to risking real dollars).

2) Spend sufficient time-dollars or real-dollars to STAND OUT on your medium of choice (Instagram, search engines, the Kindle Store, whatever).

3) Enjoy the fruits of your labours somewhere down the road. :D

--

The beauty of SBI! is that it gives you a roadmap for killing it in the SERPs (supplemented with social, etc.).

If you decide that building a golf website is not for you, I'd look for a similar roadmap for killing it on Instagram or YouTube or Kindle or whatever it is you decide to focus on.

Just understand that SBI's teachings are reproducible (by anyone with BAM). I'm not sure how easy it is to replicate the folks with massive social followings or marketplace sales.

Hope that helps.

All the best,
Harvey
#1386633 by Catherine from Ashmore
Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:38 am
As Cath mentioned, I'm sure every niche and approach gets somewhat different results. But since several have mentioned that their traffic just keeps falling, I'd like to mention that mine keeps rising-- though not really fast-- and that's even though I haven't done much new-page building for the last couple of years, and have had very little success with social media.

What does make a difference in my traffic is when I keep updating and improving pages. I've started getting active on Pinterest, so have been adding new, better images (and trying to improve the pages as I go.) Google seems to respond to that. (Jacki has written that they like to see "the lights re on"-- some evidence that the site is being maintained.)

Anyway, there are no guarantees, but I don't think it's true that traffic is generally down for almost everyone...