This is the place to introduce yourself. Solo Build It! owners ("SBIers") cover the globe. Let us know a bit about your special corner of the world, about you and your solopreneur plans.

Moderators: Maria from Agness, Diane Marie from HardKnocks

#1383447 by Mary from Lone Pine
Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:47 pm
I am Mary Deal, award-winning author of 11 books so far, artist and photographer. I had a mega-website, Write Any Genre, for quite a while. Then as I was preparing a major move from Hawaii to Arizona, my doc hit me with the fact that I needed open heart surgery! So, I put my website on hold, delayed the move, had the surgery, and then moved. Now I'm starting over with a whole new format, narrowed down and focused only on my books and writing, and not those of all my friends, nor my art. I have other sites for art and photography. I still don't have a great grasp of all the capabilities here because I am no geek. I have to learn as I go. I can only hope I am doing the right things and helping myself. Hope to meet a lot of you.
#1383456 by Jacki from Macleod
Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:56 pm
Hi Mary, welcome back! Hope your health issues are dealt with, and you're ready to put your foot on the gas.

Just go slow, ask if you need help, click on all the :?: to open the help files. We're here for you :D
#1383461 by Mary from Lone Pine
Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:15 pm
Thank you so much. I'm enjoying rebuilding and going unusually slow, but it's necessary right now.
#1383478 by Jacki from Macleod
Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:27 am
You'll speed up as you get more familiar with all the new bells and whistles :D
#1383480 by Cath, SiteSell Content Team
Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:55 am
Good morning Mary, and welcome to SBI! and to the forums!

Open heart surgery sounds scary but it also sounds as though you're the kind of person who accepts what life throws and gets on with it, positively. That's exactly the quality you need for SBI!

And taking it slowly is exactly the right thing to do. The Action Guide is a proven process, and it's important to take each small step at a time and not miss anything out.

As Jacki says, the forums are the ideal place to come if you need support, advice, encouragement - and to share your success!

I look forward to seeing you in the forums and to celebrating yet more success for you!

Cath.
#1383509 by Mary from Lone Pine
Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:25 pm
Thank you so much. I once read theough every instruction published. My latest problem is how to chech to see how my site fits on eReaders. Am slow this week because my son is here for my birthday, but I will be digging in again soon.
#1383514 by Mary from Lone Pine
Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:03 pm
As I said I am not a geek. I use the blocks in BB2, but not sure what a responsive template is yet, nor Responsive gridlock, nor AG. Just haven't had the time to research deeply but will do that. My site is built and I am tweaking, but not sure the site follows all the new changes from when I first signed up in 2006.
#1383516 by Debs from SiteSell
Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:26 pm
AG = Action Guide Yes you will want to go through and read it again. There have been a lot of changes, some affect rankings.

Responsive Gridblocks (in place of tables so they appear properly in mobile) RG

You aren't using an RT (responsive template), but you may be using a Mobilize It! ready one (are all your pages in BB2 or some in BB1?)

Mobilize It! will do the same for your site as a Responsive Template. You can find it in Site Central. You will want to turn it on as your site is not mobile ready right now and it has to be (per Google) for future rankings. This is super important. If you have both BB1 and BB2 pages (see Page Manager, it says what type of pages you have), you can turn on MI! for each separately

Then look over your pages via a smartphone, tablet/eReader to see if everything still looks ok. If you need help on any of this, post to the forum that more closely fits the issue you need help with.

All my best,

Debs
#1383533 by Mary from Lone Pine
Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:34 pm
Thanks, Debs. I have been rebuilding the old site, though none of it is left. I believe I'm all in BB2.I did start to check on my iPhone but my son is here for my birthday week, so am taking it easy. I did notice some errors that I've fixed but some didn't make sense, like getting thrown back into SBI! when the link should go to one of my pages. I will know more once I get started again and will post in the appropriate Forms. Thank you for your help. Much appreciated.