This is the place to introduce yourself. Solo Build It! owners ("SBIers") cover the globe. Let us know a bit about your special corner of the world, about you and your solopreneur plans.

Moderators: Maria from Agness, Diane Marie from

#1389038 by jeff from North Apollo
Fri Dec 29, 2017 6:15 pm
Hi Everyone, I can't go on to the next part of SBI until I've ticked the forum box!
Stick with me, this will be the longest intro post ever...

I reckon my internet experiences have been everything that Ken uses as 'bad ways to build a business'.
I joined SBI lots of years ago (when you had to print off each handbook!) and at the same time signed up for a content/copy writing course on the web (which I thought would fast track my SBI business).

I plodded along at both for a month or two, and sent in my copy examples for critique. After the fourth example I was asked by the provider to quit the course, get a refund, and come and work for him. I looked at the choices - learn then earn with SBI, or start earning straight off the bat.
You know the rest.
I folded my SBI membership and began providing content, articles, ads and copy for my new 'employer'. Within six months I was working for his 'Power Group of internet marketers.' Very famous people in the internet world. I even ran support desks for them.
It was....horrible.
Yes the money came in each month, yes I learned a massive amount about internet marketing, but I'm someone who loves people, and I had to sit through skype calls whilst these 'entrepreneurs' openly poured scorn on their email lists, and spent hours planning how to best rip of their customer base.

The best thing I ever put together earned one of them $128k in just 6 weeks. I was paid a pittance. The last straw was their move to rehashing (pirating) three year old courses already on the market, providing false reviews of products, and instigating heavily scripted attacks on competitors.
I couldn't bring myself do it, even after they offered to double my rate, so I folded my tents and left to go and sit on my deck.
And do you know the absolute worst thing of all? My stuff is still out there on their websites earning them money, week in and week out.
If I had not been sidetracked and stuck with SBI, I would have my own flourishing business by now, instead I've wasted some very productive years building other peoples businesses for them.

Four days ago Ken's Holiday Offer popped into my inbox, and I decided to come inside and look around. It was even better than I remembered it all those years ago. Like walking into my favourite bar on a snowy evening. So much warmth and friendship.
So here I am, with no niche, no domain, and starting right at the bottom, but this time the right way.
I've amassed a lot of experience over the years (copywriting/content provision/ads/presell literature and product creation - I'm even published on Amazon), and if I can help anyone here, I'll try my hardest for you. I'm also a thirty year Mac user, and can hopefully help there if anyone has an issue they can't fix.
That's me in a very large nutshell.
Sorry to have banged on everyone...
It's good to be back.
#1389043 by Debs from SiteSell
Fri Dec 29, 2017 7:10 pm
Hi Jeff,

Wow what a story! It's great to have you back with us here in the forums, and with SBI! I love it when returning SBIers come home!

The Action Guide has changed a LOT since you left, so really read it, follow it! It won't steer you wrong.

And you already know of the many, many users here, friendly, helpful, knowledgeable! I know we all want your participation too, you have a lot to offer that can help many. I called it 'paying it forward' back when the forums started, and that still holds today. Thank you in advance for paying it forward for any help you may need.

Once you get your site going, I want to see it! As everyone on the forums knows, you can reach me at debs (at the domain of)

Enjoy the journey!

All my best,

#1389046 by jeff from North Apollo
Fri Dec 29, 2017 7:17 pm
Jacki and Debs, thanks so much for getting back so quickly, it means a lot. I agree totally Debs, such a lot has changed here, so much more focused. I used wander from place to place and forget where I'd come from, now the Action guide caters to all four types of learner and the links fit in with the learning journey perfectly. Very classy.
A Happy New Year to you both.
#1389060 by Erin from Texas
Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:53 pm
Welcome back, Jeff!

I love that you've chosen not to continue beating yourself up over previous choices but instead have made a decision to move forward and make 2018 the year of new beginnings! You are now among trustworthy friends and focused solopreneurs - what better environment to be in as you start your new business. Ask questions, brainstorm ideas, get and give help. That's what it's all about!

Wishing you all the best for the new year and many more to come. :-)
#1389061 by Richard from Spain
Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:11 pm
Hi Jeff,
welcome back. I'm looking forward to reading your contributions in the forums, and learning from your vast experience and knowledge.

In the meantime, (being cheeky), something tells me that the sales pages for my 2 e-books are not well written. Please feel free to criticise!

(Fellow Mac-user)
#1389640 by Taylor from Big Stone City
Sun Jan 07, 2018 2:18 am
Hi Jeff,

Like you, I've always been most interested in providing something of value to others more so than filling my own coffers with gobs of cash. Don't get me wrong, I do want to see a return on my investment, but again, like you, not at the expense of others. I commend you for your honesty and look forward to seeing you shine here.

I'm confident you'll have a lot of insight for the benefit of us all.

#1392019 by Victor from Belleoram
Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:22 pm
Hi Jeff

Good luck - you have a lot of the tools of experience to be successful.

I might take you up on the Mac offer.

I tried a Mac laptop for a couple years and like it so much, I am all Mac now.

But I'm not a techie either and all computers are a little like people - they do strange things sometimes and we can't figure out why.

Good luck.