... SOME fabulous-sounding product or resource that could be of use to your online business? Here's the place to share something new that's NOT yet in the HQs yet. ...UPCOMING conferences and get-togethers being held near you? Mentorship threads? (ex., WAHM, 20 something, 50+ and more)?
... BUSINESS for sale? This is the place to buy/sell businesses! :-)
SBI! builds businesses with real value (EQUITY) - there have been sales with valuations in 6 figures here! Please read the Buy/Sell Guidelines in the FAQ first (requires use of the official template).
... If you "heard about it" and it fits one of the above, post it right here!
... NOTE: Please post challenges in the most appropriate forum for your challenge topic. Thanks very much.

Moderator: Antoinette from Bedford

#1374326 by Marylyn from family-getaways-melbourne.com
Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:02 pm
Hi Juri
The pin looks great! Funny you mentioned this as I did the same thing for my Zazzle Posters today😆
Great minds.
Cheers
Marylyn
#1374340 by Jim from Helm
Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:05 pm
Regarding the focus of my site, I am going to stick with stock screening for now. The change will be to broaden the core focus to stock screening tools and techniques, not just stock screening. The quantitative investing approach is still intriguing (I own the domain name quant101.com) but it may be more appropriate as an additional site.

This week I need to create a new T2 page, stock-screening-techniques, as a menu item to re-locate the pages with examples of implemented strategy stock screens as T3 pages. Since we are packing/travelling for a week at the beach with our kids and grandkids, this may not happen in a timely manner.

Also will continue to analyze the navigation in order to reduce the number of choices and, therefore, prep for the change to a responsive design.
#1374346 by Juri from plainlight.com
Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:49 pm
Thank you, Marylyn!

This is quite inspiring, since it takes me a lot of time to combine different parts -- I am not that proficient with Photoshop for creating something new as opposed to editing :oops:

Perhaps a new page can emerge from this, about using Photoshop layers.
Kind regards,
J.
#1374353 by Cat from glutenfreehomemade.com
Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:38 pm
Hi Everyone,
It sure has been quiet here at this forum since all the action is happening over at the Pinterest Challenge Forum, but that is great, because many, many of us from this forum are working over there, which means we're going forward as group together--double forum support for all of us. How wonderful is that?!

Now, that my computer is working right again, I was able to accomplish quite a bit last week:
Note: If any of you have a few moments, please review these two sales pages and offer your input. I've done the best I can with what I know to date, but these webpages need to be the best they can be.

In addition, at this point it seems my husband, a high end Information Technology Professional, has been forced into early retirement due to workplace age discrimination. While he will continue to look for work, in the meantime, he will be joining me in building my online business. Behind the scenes, he is taking advantage of the opportunity to learn Pinterest via the Pinterest Challenge and this week he will begin executing some of the 20% task work that keeps piling up, so I can continue to focus on moving the business forward in the 80% realm.

Because of this major paradigm shift, we decided it was time to invest in ourselves and contact SiteSell Professionals to request consulting services to help us make a critical decision about my websites, and to help us make new short-term and long-term plans in order to take my online business to the next level and beyond.

So, I contacted Sitesell Professionals Saturday evening and I am excited to hear back from them in the next day or two. What I didn't expect, was the amazing sense of relief after doing so. I had no idea I was stressing so hard about how to make my online business profitable. I feel like I've been working hard to do all the right things, but not really making any progress.

As I'm writing this, I just realized I've begun to put together my team of professionals, something essential to the success of any business . . . I guess it's that time!

Hi Marylyn,
Waving at you from across sparkling ocean waves!

Hi Juri from plainlight.com,
I took a look at your Pinterest Board; I love it! However, in your description you wrote:
Sliced Landscapes is just that:

It should be, "Sliced Landscapes are just that:"

Wishing you a wonderfully enjoyable holiday in Northern Ireland!

Hi Jim,
You wrote:
The change will be to broaden the core focus to stock screening tools and techniques, not just stock screening.

Broadening your core focus in this way seems like a natural progression for your growing online business. I see all kinds of possibilities in the future for the direction you are taking--self-published books, email courses, perhaps webinars, etc. Great move!

Wishing you a wonderful time with your family at the beach!

This Week's Goals:
    1. Stay up-to-date with the Pinterest Challenge
    2. Update Yosemite Book's Bonus Material webpage
    3. Add reviews from Goodreads to my guide books' sales pages and book front material for later re-publishing
    4. Promote Yosemite book via social media
    5. Schedule social media for the next 30 days at Hootesuite
    6. Write and publish next issue of Road Trip Explore! Ezine
    7. Begin composing first draft of SBI! Review(s)
    8. Contact Amazon.com about fixing problems with Author Central
    9. Catch up with my Road Trip Explore! reading pile

Of course, this may all change based on recommendations from SiteSell Professionals.

Wishing you all a wonderful week! 8)
#1374361 by Jacki from Macleod
Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:29 pm
Cat from glutenfreehomemade.com wrote:and this week he will begin executing some of the 20% task work that keeps piling up,
Cat from glutenfreehomemade.com wrote:What I didn't expect, was the amazing sense of relief after doing so. I had no idea I was stressing so hard about how to make my online business profitable. I feel like I've been working hard to do all the right things, but not really making any progress.
Wow, two huge upgrades!

I've been urging (nagging) my husband to finish installing the wall paneling in our new mudroom so I can use it as a back drop for some videos. These will be one for each section of my e-course, just a short blurb on what the module is all about, and maybe some more/different stuff. Should be fun. Am I nervous abut being more visible? You bet! :shock:
#1374371 by Cat from glutenfreehomemade.com
Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:36 pm
Oh, Jacki,
I know just what you mean! Imagine me propping you up from behind when the lights are shining on you and camera is rolling as you stand up in front of that big beautiful wall!
#1374376 by Mary from Mico
Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:57 pm
Oh, goodness Cat. I am so sorry to read of the age discrimination at your husband's place of work. I remember that with my Dad in 1985. Thank God he was able to take Reagan's RIF (Reduction In Force) and retire at 55. It actually opened a whole new opportunity for him, so I am hoping the same for your husband. I am so glad to see your note about using the Sitesell pros!

You've sure got an excellent list of things to do for this week!

Mary
#1374381 by Jim from Helm
Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:03 pm
Cat from glutenfreehomemade.com wrote:In addition, at this point it seems my husband, a high end Information Technology Professional, has been forced into early retirement due to workplace age discrimination.

Cat,
Been there. Don't overlook teaching and contract work. Both worked for me and the contract work continues. In the meantime, looks like you get some high-end tech help.
#1374386 by Jacki from Macleod
Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:48 pm
Cat from glutenfreehomemade.com wrote:Oh, Jacki,
I know just what you mean! Imagine me propping you up from behind when the lights are shining on you and camera is rolling as you stand up in front of that big beautiful wall!
:lol: No limelight!
#1374387 by Juri from plainlight.com
Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:10 pm
Cat from glutenfreehomemade.com wrote:I took a look at your Pinterest Board; I love it!

Thank you, Cat, this is very kind!

Re: Sliced Landscapes is about... I know that "landscapes" [the word] is plural, but think "Sliced Landscapes" [the board] is just one thing. It's like "Beautiful girls [a group of people] are about to have fun", but "Beautiful Girls [the film -- a rather good one] is about old friends coming to a high-school reunion".

I might be wrong, though; it wouldn't be the first time...

Kind regards,
J.
#1374397 by Marylyn from family-getaways-melbourne.com
Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:00 pm
Hi Cat

That's a huge shock to you both :!: Never ceases to amaze me, this age discrimination thing. These people who make decisions about people's lives and employment must live in a bubble. Don't they think they will get old one day? The mentality just never ceases to change.

30 years ago when I was in my late 30's, I became almost unemployable. Now that's a long time ago! I had to fight through the 'young' front-liners. Most times I lost out to youth. Was a tough few years, certainly hurt my confidence :!:

I hope that Site Sell Professionals will be able to set you both up in such a way as to have you both streaming ahead.

If anyone can do this, it is you and no doubt about it, your hubby :D

Review of pages

http://www.roadtripexplore.com/guide-book.html

- 2nd paragraph description - can you either bolden or highlight this :?:
- highlight the 3 different formats or 'point form' them with a bit of editorial ( explain why the different formats :?: )
- Can you add a brief description under each 'Guide Book' :?:

Perhaps I am nit picking :roll:

http://www.roadtripexplore.com/yosemite-national-park.html

- Centre the Heading
- - Can you add editorial about the 3 different versions here as well. I can see that you have a box with a 'call to action' statement, however explaining to me why there are different versions can help me make my decision as to what version may be better for me :D
- Your call to action, Click on a link below, needs to be more prominant. Enlargen the text and colour it.
- Oops, nearly missed it :!: I'd put your 'book trailer' video up higher, perhaps after...

All the information and resources and resources you'll need...
just before your pic.
- Reading on, love how you highlighted the different formats for the guide book ( perhaps do this on the other page)
- Under the Heading Guide Book Includes, could you put an image graphic before those 4 sentences, like some sort of button to highlight the points :?:
a tree
a map
a camera
a car

- You have a box 'Buy the Ebook to get Link to Free...' and then you repeat the same content under this. Is that necessary :?:
- Highlight, Become a part...
- At the bottom, I'd love to see a picture of you sitting at your work station, working on the next book or 'Reading this one :!: '

Ok, that's enough :D

Cheers,
#1374428 by Susan from Warrimoo
Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:30 am
Hi everyone. I am on the road at last and living in my caravan! I have limited Internet access so am finding it challenging to just log in regularly. I have unlimited data this week though so must do some things for my site.

Good to see familiar faces and sites from our Page a Week Challenge days :)

Just quickly, my goals for this week are:

1. Defrag my hard drive (currently in progress)
2. Check out the Pintrest challenge
3. Write at least two bloglets and schedule them for publishing
4. Check out SBI review process

All the best to everyone on your challenges!
#1374521 by Cat from glutenfreehomemade.com
Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:28 am
Hi Jim,
You wrote:
Don't overlook teaching and contract work.

Thank you for your kind suggestions regarding the job hunt. No stone is being left unturned. Even relocating is under consideration, if necessary.:roll:

Hi Jacki,
You wrote:
:lol: No limelight!

I love it! :lol::lol::lol:

Hi Juri,
You wrote:
Re: Sliced Landscapes is about... I know that "landscapes" [the word] is plural, but think "Sliced Landscapes" [the board] is just one thing. It's like "Beautiful girls [a group of people] are about to have fun", but "Beautiful Girls [the film -- a rather good one] is about old friends coming to a high-school reunion".

I might be wrong, though; it wouldn't be the first time...

I wondered about that! Then, it's fine as it is! :wink:

Hi Marylyn,
Thank you so much for your review. I know how valuable your precious time is, so I don't take lightly what you have done for me. I printed off your suggestions and will take a serious look at them in the next day or two, and then I will get back to you if I have any questions or concerns. :D
#1374711 by Judith from Quarryville
Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:51 pm
Hi Everyone!

Late to this party and haven't looked in on the other either except to say I'm in so playing catch-up. Probably for a while yet. :wink:

Thank you everyone for your re-welcoming (hmmm... is that a word? ) comments! And Cat, I didn't fall off the face of the earth :lol: , but it sure felt like it sometimes! Moving does not get easier as ones body moves into an older postion. :shock:

I have missed everyone and would love to know what has been going on with each of you, but I just can't take the time to read it all. So will just fill in the blanks from here on.

Cath reading about your visitors questions reminded me that I had not checked my FB moderator comments in a few months. I had gotten into a good habit before we moved of checking almost everyday. A habit this group has helped me develop. :). I had not had a comment in months. But when I checked today (a week ago now) there were 4 going back to May 17. So I quickly answered them and hope the participation continues. That probably doesn't seem like a lot to you but I am in a different situation than you. :wink:

Juri

This is very late but the last newsletter I received from you was such a huge help. While I was away moving I dropped in here once or twice very quickly to see what everyone was up to. Mary had mentioned, way back when, about having a site search on ones website and then there was an SBIX or something, shortly after about how very important it is to have search on ones site and why. I used to have Googles but after I moved my site I did not put it up again. I was not happy with Googles result page. But I absolutely love the one you have given the code for from DuckDuckGo! It is so clean and provides targeted results just from my site! Keeps visitors on my site and displays in an easy to read and to select format. Thank You So Much For Sharing That!!!

This is Juri's page if anyone else would like to take a look. He made it very easy. I did it, so it has to be pretty easy. :wink:http://www.plainlight.com/duckduckgo-search.html

I have placed it at the top of my right hand column of every page on my site, you can see it here. [Domain Private]

Which brings me to what I have been doing even though it is Thursday and not Monday. :roll::(
TWEAKING, the look of my site. If anyone remembers what it looked like last week. Not a big change. But everytime I looked at my site the colours were fighting but I am no graphic designer and just couldn't decide what to do to fix it without spending money. So I fooled around and I do think it looks better, not so much fighting going on and easier for my readers to go where I want them to. I think. (Oh dear, what does Ken say about tweaking... I am much better though than I used to be at staying away from it. :wink: )

Then I went through my reusable blocks and cleaned them all up. So much nicer. (hmmm... is that tweaking too?) :P

Now I am late for my next newsletter (which was my only goal for the week) but I will get it done. :wink:

And OOOOHHHHH Cat - computers - what can be said about them! Yes indeed without them we would not be having this adventure together. But, with them how more challenging life is! About defraging... I have always set my computers to make sure they were doing this at a time when I would be sleeping. But I was also under the impression that PC's came set to do this on a regular basis and as long as you did not turn it off you were good to go, but had the option to change the time it would perform its task. Definitely something every computer should be doing regularly, just like clearing your browser from time to time. I do all mine often.

Cat wishing you and your husband all the very best in your new life change. <3

Cath
And on that note - just to let those of you who wanted to join in know that the Pinterest Challenge starts today. This is a link to it and remember, you can always make Pinterest your weekly goal, killing two Challenge birds with one stone! :lol::lol:

That's exactly what I planned on doing! And maybe a little of this and the other too.

Marylyn WOW on your acheivements!

Juri
Would you mind commenting on it? Here's the link to the board: https://www.pinterest.com/plainlight/sl ... otography/

Great idea! This will help people imagine how your art will look in their home. Awesome!

Hi Juri
The pin looks great! Funny you mentioned this as I did the same thing for my Zazzle Posters today😆
Great minds.
Cheers Marylyn

Absolutely Marylyn!

Well, off to finish my newsletter and catch-up on the Pinterest challenge! :shock:

Prosperous working everyone!!!
#1374715 by Mary from Mico
Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:49 pm
Hi Judy – I miss the light green, but agree that the new look is good. At first, I wondered if I was on the same site. The artwork and link colors assured me as well as your photo at the bottom. So happy to read about your new search bar. I've put Juri's page on my task bar again to try doing it myself.

Jacki! I just had to share here. Marylyn, I think, posted a link to this PicMonkey article and I so enjoyed their faux (fake) site example! I thought of you right off:

https://www.picmonkey.com/blog/make-a-logo

We’ll use our faux succulents company, Prickles & Pots as an example.

Prickles and Pots made me laugh. Why can't I think of fun names like that?

Mary