... SOME fabulous-sounding product or resource that could be of use to your online business? Here's the place to share something new that's NOT yet in the HQs yet. ...UPCOMING conferences and get-togethers being held near you? Mentorship threads? (ex., WAHM, 20 something, 50+ and more)?
... BUSINESS for sale? This is the place to buy/sell businesses! :-)
SBI! builds businesses with real value (EQUITY) - there have been sales with valuations in 6 figures here! Please read the Buy/Sell Guidelines in the FAQ first (requires use of the official template).
... If you "heard about it" and it fits one of the above, post it right here!
... NOTE: Please post challenges in the most appropriate forum for your challenge topic. Thanks very much.

Moderator: Antoinette from Bedford

#1381385 by Diane Marie from HardKnocks
Sat Sep 16, 2017 5:47 pm
Hi All!

My son and I are moving to Puerto Vallarta from Washington state on October 4. That's when we land.

We'll be in roughly the Aramara area, kind of across where the cruise ships come in I guess?

At any rate, I'm wondering if I can hook up with some SBI'ers down there?

I have an expat group that I'm tied in with but they're all seniors (nothing wrong with that, I'm closer than I am further away from that distinction) :wink: and they don't have "kids" my son's age 23 almost 24.

He has high functioning autism and loves to play Magic (a card game) and he's a gamer but he needs to work on having a new gaming computer built when he gets down there.

He doesn't work so he'll be doing things for me on my website until we get a business going that we're considering for him, based on a need down there. :D .

Is there anyone down there that would be interested in meeting and having new friendships with a 23/24 year old young man and his semi-close-to-senior (54) mom/SBI'er?

Thank you so much!
Diane
Last edited by Debs from SiteSell on Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total. Reason: Moved from Water Cooler to here.
#1381422 by A J from Somewhere Hot
Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:02 am
While I'm nowhere near your area, I just wanted to day all the best with your move. I hope this is going to be the right move for you, and have my fingers crossed that it all goes well for you and your boy :-)

Cheers, AJ
#1381648 by Diane Marie from HardKnocks
Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:07 pm
Oh AJ, thank you so much!

We're so excited!! Watch for lots of pictures - and maybe a new website!!

I sure hope there are some SBI'ers down there...

HAVE a wonderful day! :D
Diane
#1386375 by Diane Marie from HardKnocks
Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:50 pm
Nobody?

It is so difficult down here, the Internet is soooooo bad that it alone will probably send me back to the US.

Probably explains why there aren't any SBI'ers here... :?

Thank you,
Diane
#1386398 by Jill from Westbury
Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:43 pm
Diane,

Sorry to hear about you problems with the internet. My fiance and I have been traveling for a few years and we finally came back to the US for that very reason. We had so many issues with the internet. Our last stop was in San Miguel de Allende, Mexico and we had the same problem. We thought about heading over to Puerto Vallarta, but saw that the internet is quite slow there too. Mexico has super high speed internet in its commerce centers, but not in many of its fun travel destinations.

Keep us posted and sorry you are frustrated!

Jill
#1386416 by A J from Somewhere Hot
Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:14 am
Hi Diane
As you probably know, I spent a lot of time in Fiji, back when I owned my Fiji travel site. One of the many disadvantages of a "3rd world" country is the internet. They don't consider themselves 3rd world, but once you get out of the resorts and tourist areas, it definitely is. I have stayed in many places there where there is no power connected to the houses, cooking is over an open fire outside, and water is carted by hand from the river. Cultivating the farmland is done with oxen and horses or by hand, no tractors.

A slow connection speed here in Australia is about 20mb on the speed testing. I know as a general rule of thumb, if I want to download a 60mb file, it will take about a minute, or maybe a bit less. In Fiji, I would be lucky to get to something like .8 (that's point 8!) using 3g network. You might do a bit better on the landline services, but they were very patchy, sometimes they were OK, other times ridiculously slow (as in, click for a new webpage on the laptop, and go make a cup of tea while it loaded). The fastest I ever saw was 8mb (on somebody elses connection)... watching a video on youtube was frustrating, and as for actually uploading a video, well, forget it.

I was talking with Sandra, who bought my Fiji site, and now has a site about Cuba. She tells me the internet in Fiji was a million times better than what she got in Cuba! I think she might be somewhere in Mexico at the moment, as depending on where you are there, the speed is so much better!

So yeah, in some places, internet can be a real PITA. I checked a few websites that discussed the internet speed in P.V, seems it's pretty bad! Lots of people just can't get a decent speed or reliable connection. Though from what I read, it depends where you are, some places have fibre (so decent speeds) and other places don't (so bad connections).

Maybe what you need to do is find out if you are in a good or bad area, perhaps some expat facebook groups that could help? Another option to look at, is if the cell 3 or 4g is workable? If so, then a pocket wifi might be faster for you than a broadband connection, but probably more expensive per GB. That is what I used in Fiji, I found it was good enough for me to at least do my work, though nothing like the speed I was used to.

I think in places like the US and here in Australia, we take fast internet for granted, and when we go somewhere like P.V then it's just something we have to learn to adapt to. I know for me in Fiji, that meant watching music videos on youtube were replaced with music on my laptop, facebook wasn't left open all day, I didn't run 20 open tabs on my browsers like I do here, and I would only connect when I needed to. Files to be uploaded would be saved up and I would do them at maybe 5am when there wasn't too many users chewing up the internet.

Anyway, hope you manage to find some workable solution :-)
Cheers, AJ