... SOME fabulous-sounding product or resource that could be of use to your online business? Here's the place to share something new that's NOT yet in the HQs yet. ...UPCOMING conferences and get-togethers being held near you? Mentorship threads? (ex., WAHM, 20 something, 50+ and more)?
... BUSINESS for sale? This is the place to buy/sell businesses! :-)
SBI! builds businesses with real value (EQUITY) - there have been sales with valuations in 6 figures here! Please read the Buy/Sell Guidelines in the FAQ first (requires use of the official template).
... If you "heard about it" and it fits one of the above, post it right here!
... NOTE: Please post challenges in the most appropriate forum for your challenge topic. Thanks very much.

Moderator: Antoinette from Bedford

#1394253 by Catherine from englishhints.com
Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:37 pm

I'm with Leslie:

Wow you people really raise the bar.

I got the newsletter out as planned, but decided the 2nd goal is not a priority compared to lots I need to do... We did have a lovely 4-day visit with some close friends who live way too far away! :D

This week I want to work on video editing, as well as keeping up with Pinterest & hopefully doing some site optimization, as traffic is beginning to drop and that usually picks it up.

Have a good week!
#1394266 by Bill from Talos IV
Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:28 pm

Hey everyone!

It's time I started to work on my site again. Last fall sitesell Pro Wendy worked up a thorough review of my site that included 40 or so pages of things I could work on to improve my site's traffic. I worked on a few things during October and November and got quite a bit done, but in early December I pulled my travel trailer down to Quartzsite AZ (from Seattle), and lost my ambitions. Let's call it a haitus, i.e. enjoying the AZ sunshine and too much beer. :)

A few weeks ago I started reading through the Pinterest Action Guide, since social is something my site lacks in terribly. (Never used it at all.) I made it to day 5, where I was supposed to create 10 boards. Didn't do that yet, since I figured I should set up a good looking "Pin" template that I can use. I've been working on my template for the last week, and finally came up with a couple I think will work out OK.

I'd appreciate any opinions on them. The first one (short one) has type that's too small, in my opinion. Also, the logo and URL and the upper and lower corners might get cut off when the corners are rounded by Pinterest.

The second, taller one has larger type for visibility, and I moved the logo and URL to the center.

600x900 Pin at 235 px wide
first-pin-3-235.jpg (134.16 KiB) Viewed 297 times

600x1200 Pin, 235 px wide
pinterest-sample-600x1200-mediumlogo-235wide.jpg (169.37 KiB) Viewed 297 times

Edited to add: Questions!
Pinterest says the "optimum" size of a pin is 600x900. If a pin is taller, like my 1200 px tall template, does Pinterest like it any less? I figure that if Pinterest says 600x900 is optimal, that size would probably get some kind of preferential treatment.

Text still needs to be somewhat larger, doesn't it?

And Wendy, sorry about your greenhouse. That's gotta suck big time!

Have a good one,
#1394273 by Jacki from Macleod
Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:57 pm
Bill from Talos IV wrote:I'd appreciate any opinions on them.
I've found that sometimes Pinterest cuts off the bottom half of a long pin, so put the text in the center so it shows regardless of what they do.

Bill from Talos IV wrote:And Wendy, sorry about your greenhouse. That's gotta suck big time!
I'm assuming you mean me, not Wendy - and yes, it does suck. I'm looking on the bright side of it however. Maybe it had run its course and now we can build something else.
#1394286 by Susan from Australia
Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:14 am
Quick check in from me.

My last goals were to:

* make Easter project - done
* update Easter page - done [Domain Private]
* start March newsletter - finished & sent [Domain Private]
* read Pintrest ag pages 7 - 8 re ALT texts - still working on this
* add ALT and title texts - did a couple of pages
* save for coaching - in progress

Next week I am planning to:

*Write new page - scrapbook idea for Easter

*Publish comment/picture of new project on Facebook, Twitter & Instagram

*Add ALT and TITLE attributes to some pages and keep reading the Pintrest AG

I am really pushed to get time to craft/be on the computer in an area where there is Internet signal. I am not sure if I will make it back here next week, but if I can I will! We are about to travel into more remote areas again. It's a great life, but it is a challenge with an online business!!

Wishing you all much success this week. :)
#1394312 by Bill from Talos IV
Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:54 pm
Thanks Jacki. So your pins are a little taller at a 3:5 ratio compared to the 2:3 ratio. I'll keep that in mind.

My ongoing goal right now is to continue working on my Pinterest account until it has at least 10 boards and plenty of pins in each of them. And then I'll make it "live". Hopefully it'll help with my constantly dwindling traffic level.

Today I'm going to refine a couple of pin templates, then re-read the PAG up to where I left off. I might get around to creating pins for some of my top pages, too.

Have a good one,
#1394349 by Mary from Mico
Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:40 pm
Hi Bill,

I only have a minute as I should be going out the door, but I thought I'd double check to see if your forum link uses the https. Your site is https, yet you can fix that link's address.

I think. :-)

I've seen this several times so maybe all of us should check it.

It's not just the signature....

Must go.
#1394353 by Bill from Talos IV
Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:12 pm
Hi Mary Must Go,

Forum link? The only one I have is the forum-generated "Contact" link under the "Joined" date. It was http, but I found that by going to my Profile and changing my website address to https, it changed the Contact url.

I see that your Contact URL is still HTTP. :)

Have a good one,
#1394354 by Mary from Mico
Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:46 pm

Thank you Bill. Yes, that's exactly what I meant. I know I've fixed that. Maybe I did not hit submit - although I really think I did because I did know to check for that. :shock:

Thank you for the reciprocal check! I'd have not noticed.

Okay. It's live now. Thank you for your vigilance. I'll be keeping a watchful eye. 8)

#1394510 by Linda from Alabama
Sat Mar 17, 2018 2:18 pm
Morning All,

How is everyone? Hope all is well and productive. At this house everyone is well. PTL! :D

Jacki: I know I'm late, but am so sorry about your greenhouse. A tornado went between our house and our daughters in 2011 and took out
my husbands shop. What a mess!

Have been checking my traffic the other day and realized my traffic is coming from three sources. Google, Bing and Pinterest, a lot of
it is from Pinterest, so I will definitely keep that up.

My video camera came in so hopefully I will get a chance to try it out. Want to make some "How to" videos.

Pinterest, got through day 5, yeah
Daughter created new header banner for K-n-C site and new logo pins for each site. With matching colors perinstructions in Pinterest Guide
Got another Quilt block created with directions, step by step for a new page

Working on 600X900 pins. Which is very hard for me as I don't have a creative bone in my body. I hate to ask daughter as she is very busy with homeschooling and a new position in "Charlotte Mason"

Edited 16 pages: Making sure links lead to T-1, T-2 and other T-3s. Improved images, added, Alt and Title tags and pinned to Pinterest Boards. I can't believe all of these are empty because I had just quit working the sites. Oh well, now we are seeing action. :D

Goal for up coming week:

Continue with Pinterest and Editing pages
#1394512 by Jacki from Macleod
Sat Mar 17, 2018 3:38 pm
Linda from Alabama wrote:Working on 600X900 pins. Which is very hard for me as I don't have a creative bone in my body.
No need to be creative! Lots of people use Canva, where you just use one of the templates and put images right on it, put some text on, and voila! The simplest pins seem to be most successful - which surprised me!

Here's one that I did, and within a week, I was shocked that it's got 1.3k repins;

cake-tin-mosaic500x833.jpg (81.2 KiB) Viewed 93 times
#1394513 by Cauleen from Mcclintock
Sat Mar 17, 2018 4:06 pm
This is embarrassing because I have had my site since 2008. I have added, and updated but get confused with all the new changes - so I keep doing what I have been doing. I have no idea what works, but get lots of likes from FB (also new to me)... feeling very dinosaur-ish and really have no idea what to do next. I even read over (and over) the action guide and each time learn something new... but that is so time-consuming I have given up on it for now but still don't know what to do next. I thought I could offer some of my pages as pdf's, (for sale eventually), so I offered one for free - hmm... no takers. And dang, it is a good one.
I like the idea of this challenge but it seems a bit too daunting for me - I have always been good at setting and following through with goals, but when it comes to my site, I feel left in the dust. and get bogged down in 'where the heck' do I start. Not really asking for ideas because when I read this over, I cannot believe how feeble it sounds... need to pull up my socks, but cannot find one, let alone figure out how to pull them up..
Thanks for a safe place to vent.
Cauleen at [Domain Private]
#1394514 by Jacki from Macleod
Sat Mar 17, 2018 4:53 pm

Cauleen, maybe this would be a good challenge for you; https://forums.sitesell.com/viewtopic.php?f=136&t=225385

Cauleen from Mcclintock wrote: so I offered one for free - hmm... no takers. And dang, it is a good one.

One of my most popular downloads is the Winterizing Succulents E-Course, which is just a Form Build It! autoresponder. It wasn't the first one though, so keep trying. The mindset that finally worked was, how can I help people with something that they struggle with? Put it in an obvious place - right at the bottom of the main content, in a site wide dot. I get over five signups per day, some of them sign up for the e-zine as well. Think of it as trust building.

PS: I would definitely convert to https (if you haven't already) because any time your visitor fills out forms it will show a warning if you're not https.

PPS: I see you are converted - good work!

I would make it a lot less complex to get your free pdf - make it automatic, instead of having to email you to get it. If you want more on how to do that, I can help. Sign up for mine, just to see how it works.