... SOME fabulous-sounding product or resource that could be of use to your online business? Here's the place to share something new that's NOT yet in the HQs yet. ...UPCOMING conferences and get-togethers being held near you? Mentorship threads? (ex., WAHM, 20 something, 50+ and more)?
... BUSINESS for sale? This is the place to buy/sell businesses! :-)
SBI! builds businesses with real value (EQUITY) - there have been sales with valuations in 6 figures here! Please read the Buy/Sell Guidelines in the FAQ first (requires use of the official template).
... If you "heard about it" and it fits one of the above, post it right here!
... NOTE: Please post challenges in the most appropriate forum for your challenge topic. Thanks very much.

Moderator: Antoinette from Bedford

#1396193 by Pam from thediyeffect.com
Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:58 am
Hello. Thank you for this very helpful thread. I joined this thread last Sunday and made a goal to narrow the breadth of my site this week. After 10 years, I recently renamed and revamped the site from a sewing site (www.retrosewing.net) to a more general DIY site (theDIYeffect.com). Although I know the DIY subject is huge, and several have advised me to narrow it, I just couldn't decide what to narrow it to. I suppose I wanted to include all the things I'm really doing in my life. Anyway, my goals this week involve the process of narrowing the niche.

Last weeks goal accomplishments:
1. I finally made the decision to narrow the DIY'S to just party DIY'S and maybe use a tag line "Fun Party Ideas" under the name wwwtheDIYeffect.com. (fun party ideas 10552 285 37025)

2. I wrote a new site map that represents the new narrowed party site (http://www.thediyeffect.com/site-map.html). (I eliminated some categories from the site map that are still on the home page (gardening. home improvement before and after pictures, etc).
The "Favorite Homemade Recipes" page will change to "party food recipes" 2598 414 6275
The costume pages will change to:
costume party ideas 1154 207 5575
costume sewing 3377 206 16393
Also:
diy party decorations 1116 10 111600
fun party games 6461 721 8961

Goal this coming week:
1. Decide on tag line to go under the name theDIYeffect.com. Maybe "Fun Party Ideas". Open to ideas.
2. Get DIY logo picture back at the top of the page if possible?

3. Get rid of all the pages that don't apply to the new narrowed niche. (I am having a hard time letting go of these pages because of traffic loss and because many of the pages are big subjects in my life, such as the before and after pages of home remodels).

Before removing all these pages, I would greatly appreciate any input. Please tell me if I'm on the right track, and if you have any input on a good tag line. Thank you.

Sincerely,
Pam
#1396202 by Susan from Australia
Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:38 am
Catherine from englishhints.com wrote:Susan, wow! I'd love to know where you find the hours in a day to do all that! :wink:

Catherine, I get windows of opportunity, about a day a week at the moment, and that is all I do all day and into the evening :lol: Today was another of those days and I think with what I did yesterday and today, I hit all my weekly goals. :D
Just stubborn I guess, and used to years of constant work in my JOB (I am now retired). Also, I love papercrafting. :)
#1396212 by Judith from Quarryville
Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:23 pm
Linda said

Contacted Google to find out why the red warning banner is still on my account

I hope you will share with us what their answer is Linda. I think Bill may have the answer here too:

https://forums.sitesell.com/viewtopic.php?f=71&t=224704&start=540#p1396166

There is a whole thread on this here:
https://forums.sitesell.com/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=224131
A little thick to wade through though, hope Bills explanation is the fix, much simpler to follow. I have the warning too, but have sooooo many other things I want to do that I keep ignoring it. Not the best strategy I know. :roll:

Be back must take doggies out!
#1396217 by Suzie from Southview
Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:59 pm
Hi everyone

Last weeks goals - most completed - especially the newsletter which I did with a bit more thought than usual and think it's paid off as the 'opens' are up more than usual! However I didn't finish the page I wanted to write :( but did at least start it on paper :)

This weeks goal - busy this week with other things but I will put one goal down this week:
Continue with the page about the tank museum. Goal is to get further than last week on it :D
By putting only one goal this week, it does mean I can actually cross off a lot of other things on my list too.
#1396219 by Linda from Alabama
Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:29 pm

Hello Judith

I hope you will share with us what their answer is Linda. I think Bill may have the answer here too:
https://forums.sitesell.com/viewtopic.php?f=71&t=224704&start=540#p1396166

Yes Bill helped me with that and I did as he said and the sites started back to earning but I can't seem to get rid of the red warning banner :cry:

That is why I got hold of Google. Yes I will post what they say when they get back to me.
#1396220 by Judith from Quarryville
Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:32 pm
Back again...

1. This past week: Mostly photo contest, entries finished on the 7th, visitor voting ended on the 14th (Thanks so much to those of you who voted! Much, much appreciated!), have 3 Judges results back (fourth is probably out of power because of the ice storm we had all weekend. :cry: ). So it has been six weeks, well worth it and a lot of work and as you said at the onset Mary, a lot of baby sitting! :wink:

When I have the winners finalized I will send all the people who entered a thank you! With a link to signup to my newsletter if they haven't already. Then the same to those who voted. (Not to my friends here as that is always an option. :wink: )

2. I have almost completed a giveaway for my newsletter signups. I will also send it to my list as a gift.

3. I am seriously considering cleaning up my email list by sending a request to those in mailchimp who only have 2 stars because of no opens for a very long time. In July of 2016 I moved my list that i had been collecting in MOM since 2006 to MC. A trickle continue to unsubscribe but I think I should just "bite the bullet"!

Keep up the good work everyone!
#1396223 by Bill from Talos IV
Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:43 pm
Linda, maybe this thread has an answer to your problem.
https://forums.sitesell.com/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=225199&p=1393392&hilit=verified+sites#p1393392

In the past it was recommended (somewhere, whether right or wrong :) ) that we verify certain websites in our Google accounts, which would possibly bring in a little more $. I think that now the recommendation is to only have OUR site verified in the Google account. Not sure how to check it or change it, but that other thread might explain.

I remember reading that people who removed the extra sites from their verified list were successful in getting that red warning banner removed. Worth a shot...
#1396226 by Mary from Fort Totten
Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:23 pm
Bill from Talos IV wrote:
Mary from Mico wrote:So far as I know, I do not have an ads.txt. How would I know if I need one?

I missed seeing your question. I checked, and no, you don't have the required ads.txt file on your print/practice site. (to check, just ad this part:
Code: Select all/ads.txt

to the end of your index page domain.)
If you're using Adsense, Google requires it. This Adsense help page tells how to make one for your site.
https://support.google.com/adsense/answer/7532444?hl=en
Once you make the simple text file (make sure there's no styling, like curly quotes, etc.), upload it using Text It! at site central. Then to check, go to .....practice.com/ads.txt and you should see it there. Maybe having the ads.txt file on your site will up your earnings.

I'm surprised you haven't see a warning in your Adsense account.
Have a good one,

Hi Bill,

Thank you so much. I'll have to check into this.

No. I haven't received a note from Google.

Mary
#1396228 by Mary from Fort Totten
Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:31 pm

Hi Bill,

The Google link says this:

You don't have to use ads.txt, but we recommend that you do.

If I did use an ads.txt, would I upload the same one to both my sites?

I do not have other such advertisers. I'm off to look at TNTHQ to see if I can find something from SBI....

Mary
#1396234 by Catherine from englishhints.com
Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:21 pm
I was confused/bothered by this ads text issue (I've had no warning, but wondered if I could get into trouble.) I checked out links in several forums, and finally noted one for an Ezoic article, which I think is relevant to non-Ezoic sites as well.

It's at https://blog.ezoic.com/ads-txt-information-for-websites/ It basically says that ads.txt code is optional, but has the purpose of protecting sites from being spoofed-- largely a problem for major commercial sites. It suggests that we don't need it, but IF we do implement it, do so carefully, as errors in implementation can be costly.

I'll skip it for now!