How useful is the Search It! tool? Try it for yourself - you'll lose count of all the ways you use it! Share clever ideas here. The Video Action Guide (for visual learners) - discuss use of the video version of the "AG" here. Also, get help with Find It!, Tips and Techniques (TNT) HQ, Monetization HQ (MHQ), Resources HQ, InfoCenter & DownloadCenter ... give tips or ask for help on these invaluable SBI! resources!

Moderator: Maria from Agness

#1318622 by Virgilio from Danao
Mon Mar 23, 2015 7:09 pm

I'm kind of not have enough time browsing through this BIG forum, hence no idea if this question has been posted and responded to:

Does SBI have a tool for eBook formatting? I learned that eBooks are published in different formats for different e-Book readers such as kindle, kobo, ipad, etc. I checked the SBI Tools and found none about e-book publishing –proprietary tool for that matter. Or did I overlook it?

#1318658 by Darby from
Tue Mar 24, 2015 2:39 am

I have used Smashwords to create and publish an ebook. You create the book in Word format and submit it, then Smashwords publisheds it in all of the different formats and loads it into the appropriate onlinebookstores for you. The even handle the sales as well. You have to do the marketing. The service is free, but they take a small percentage of the sale price. Smashwords has excelent resources for help in the form of written instructions, downloadable guidebooks plus videos. The quality of the help and advice is what we SBIers like to get from this SBI and forums.

Good luck.
#1318680 by Carol from East Anglia
Tue Mar 24, 2015 1:38 pm
You may like to look into Scrivener, as it is available for both Windows and Mac users. Once you have created your book it will automatically convert it to epub, or Kindle format for you.

Here is the link to their site...

Personally, I wouldn't be without it for all my web work.

I also wrote an article about using it, which you can find here...

#1318682 by Virgilio from Danao
Tue Mar 24, 2015 1:48 pm
Hi, thank you Darby!

Smashwords sound familiar to me. I guess it's in SBI's list of third party tools/service provider. I'll bear that in mind.

I stumbled upon this eBook creator/publisher site that charges from $99 to $299 for four eBook file types, depending on how simple (all text) or sophisticated (includes sidebars, drop caps, colored text or backgrounds, etc.) is your eBook manuscript. Though you get the full royalty from their distributors, this is not my easy to buy type! :o

I think I'd go learn more about Smashwords.

Thanks again.

#1318693 by Virgilio from Danao
Tue Mar 24, 2015 5:05 pm
Thank you Carol.

Looks like a double shot espresso would go well with skimming through Scrivener. It interests me as I'm contemplating on switching to mac --without necessarily dumping my pc. 8)

Thank you again.

#1318696 by ken-admin
Tue Mar 24, 2015 6:21 pm
From Content Elf...

Just want to throw my weight behind Scrivener. Nobody who writes e-books for a living should be without it.

It converts your text to whatever format you need (epub, mobi). And it has a great outliner for shuffling chapters and sections around.

Don't worry about the learning curve. The Interactive Tutorial gets you up and running in no time.

All the best,
#1318698 by Mike from Isleta
Tue Mar 24, 2015 7:21 pm
Scrivener is brilliant. I know many novelists use it, but you can use it to write articles, non-fiction books, screenplays... just about anything. It's also inexpensive!
#1318704 by Andrew from Shawbridge
Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:13 pm
Seems like Scrivener is a pretty popular choice.

I personally use Adobe InDesign. It's the industry standard software for making eBooks or print advertising, but the learning curve is steep. It's more for people who are doing advanced layouts and whatnot like what I have in my cookbook: ... out-3d.png

If you're not looking to spend at least 10 hours learning how to use a program, I wouldn't use InDesign. Still, for someone who wants to do the most professional work possible, then this is it.
#1318711 by Darby from
Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:00 pm
Chiming in again. Yes Scrivener is a good tool for creating more complex documents, but you don't need to use it to publish on Kindle or any other platform. Kindle Direct accepts word, rtf, PDF, html, txt files etc. unless your book is very long and requires elaborate outlining or formating I would advise just using Word. Scrivener is a great for professional manuscript preparation. Smashwords offers a complete package of tools from niche selection, manuscript prep, to publishing on multiple platforms PLUS an online sales service - all for free.
#1319083 by Virgilio from Danao
Sat Mar 28, 2015 6:45 pm
Hello again,

Thanks for the valuable imparts!

My target eBook is kind of DIY / How-To. It is quite image-studded. I create pages in CorelDraw and 'publish' it to PDF. That means I am to submit manuscript in PDF that had vector and bitmap graphics in it (during creation).
I hope there are no drawbacks.

Need yet to check and study eBook tools.

Thank you friends! :wink:
#1319114 by Gerri E. from Smithburg
Sun Mar 29, 2015 3:22 am
My coauthor and I recently released our ebook for free on Smashwords. I started with it in Word. The original plan was to publish it for Kindle and I formatted it for Kindle (from Word) very easily with their instructions, but discovered that Kindle doesn't allow for permanently free ebooks. So we decided to go with Smashwords. I didn't have the time or patience then to format it again so I outsourced it and wasn't happy with the results but did manage to get it on there. However, I continue to get error messages that prevent it from going to their premium catalog and am trying to fix those. Smashwords does have a list of people who will do the formatting for as low as $40 = I wish I had gone that route but I saw it after the fact.

At any rate, this is about programs to write in (not publish in) and I have only used Word. I am going to check out Scrivener thanks to the suggestions here. Question about that program - can you work collaboratively with another author on the same manuscript or is it more like sending a Word doc back and forth?
#1319115 by Mike from Isleta
Sun Mar 29, 2015 3:35 am
Scrivener files are exclusive to Scrivener so the other person would also have to have it installed. But it does only cost $40.
#1319157 by Julie from Lebanon Junction
Sun Mar 29, 2015 9:49 pm
i found the learning curve with shrivner was waaaaayyyyy overwhelming.

I found this website - to convert my word doc to kindle...

So much easier and no headaches.