How useful is the Search It! tool? Try it for yourself - you'll lose count of all the ways you use it! Share clever ideas here. The Video Action Guide (for visual learners) - discuss use of the video version of the "AG" here. Also, get help with Find It!, Tips and Techniques (TNT) HQ, Monetization HQ (MHQ), Resources HQ, InfoCenter & DownloadCenter ... give tips or ask for help on these invaluable SBI! resources!

Moderator: Maria from Agness

#1271910 by Elly from
Mon Dec 30, 2013 5:46 pm
Brill! LIKE!!! :D

#1271918 by Mike from Denver
Mon Dec 30, 2013 7:02 pm
thanks Rachel!

bookmarked the list!!!

#1272007 by Javier from Caserío Los Yesos
Tue Dec 31, 2013 12:24 pm
"You have done well, Lord Vader." (said in creepy evil emperor voice)

But, I have to admit I quite enjoyed the acronym guessing game... at times!

Happy New Year!

#1272179 by Ed from Blakely
Wed Jan 01, 2014 5:57 am
What are Cnames?

You start a readin thes input yousing these useless wingdings and you mights as well be readin somebody's slang or sum ferin language or sumptin.

My gosh who are we a speakin and a thinkin about ifin it don't really matter anyhow with these acronothings? It destroys your whole stupid post!

TGI it's 2014!

Hapi New Years

Ed Brophy
#1272489 by Amelia from Santa Maria
Fri Jan 03, 2014 5:42 am
You're amazing Rachel. Thanks for linking to this in your signature. You're always giving back to the SBI community. :D ~ Amelia
#1272508 by Annie from Mount Martha
Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:49 am
OMG Rachel, that is awesome. What a huge amount of work in this! have bookmarked this one.
#1273018 by Judith from Quarryville
Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:47 pm
Thanks so much Rachel, what a great gift to give!

Kind regards
#1273652 by Rachel from Sneads
Sat Jan 11, 2014 7:17 pm
Thanks everyone, for your kind words! It was actually fun to put together, but that would mean little if it didn't actually help people, so I'm happy to hear that it's helpful to so many other SBIers!

Mods: would you please add the following acronyms to the list? Thanks a million!

CPL - Characters Per Line
CSS - Cascading Style Sheets (coding language for formatting web pages)
PC - Politically Correct
PV - Page Views (traffic stats)
TC - Technically Challenged
UV - Unique Visitors (traffic stats)
WPM - Word Per Minute
XML - Extensible Markup Language (for encoding documents on the Internet)

(This now puts us at over 150 acronyms in the list!)
#1273666 by Mary from Mico
Sat Jan 11, 2014 9:12 pm
Great job Rachel!

PC can also mean Personal Computer.

#1273672 by Antoinette from Bedford
Sat Jan 11, 2014 9:50 pm
Rachel from Sneads wrote:Mods: would you please add the following acronyms to the list? Thanks a million

DWPD :wink: AAM - Done With Pleasure Darlin' Wink Antoinette As Moderator
#1273829 by PaTrisha-Anne from Louisa
Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:34 pm
Hi Rachel,

What a useful list, thanks so much for spending the time and sharing.

#1276121 by Pat from Leader
Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:16 pm
The acronyms drive me CRAZY!!!!!!!!!

Ken....Gi-nitaa-wemitigoozhiim na?

I find it very difficult to understand what the aich e double toothpicks you're talking about most times because I have to translate part of what you are writing about into English....and many,many times I can't do it and I lose the gist of your topic.

You work with the acronyms/abbreviations you invented day in and day ... so does your staff...but but most of us don't. Please consider that for many of us the acronyms occur and are processed in our minds as a foreign language. Daga aanakanootamaagen!

An earlier post suggested that someone could assemble an acronym/English reference that the rest of us could refer to when we didn't understand what you're talking about....perhaps keep it handy on our desk top as we do Search It!

Seems like a lot of extra work for a lot of people when an alternative is that you could choose to use common English phrases in place of code.

I appreciate the passion and energy you put into SBI. I'm glad your life is challenging and fun. But I do hope you can find a way to talk to us in a way we can all hear.

Post Scriptum ..... I read latin, too :)

In the Anishinaabemowin (Ojibwa language) Gi-nitaa-wemitigoozhiim na? means "Do you speak English?" and Daga aanakanootamaagen! means "Please translate for me!"
#1276145 by Rachel from Sneads
Wed Jan 29, 2014 4:23 pm
Antoinette from Bedford wrote:DWPD :wink: AAM - Done With Pleasure Darlin'

:oops: Just realized I didn't thank you, Antoinette, for being such a fabulous forum moderator for doing this for me!! So, THANK YOU!

Um... here are two more, please!

WWWWW - Wild and Wooly World Wide Web
OEM - Original Equipment Manufacturer

And a super big THANK YOU! in advance since I'll probably forget again. :D

#1276154 by Markus from Seßlach
Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:07 pm

Hello Rachel,

Great work!

As David already pointed out, some acronyms have a different meaning in other contexts/areas...

Whoever finds the strangest acronym and/or meaning wins bragging rights! :D

In this case, I'll throw in my favorite (mis-)interpretation of "PCMCIA" (which is originally a technical standard for notebook hardware add-ons):
People Can't Memorize Computer Industry Acronyms :)

#1276156 by Rachel from Sneads
Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:15 pm
Markus from Seßlach wrote:In this case, I'll throw in my favorite (mis-)interpretation of "PCMCIA" (which is originally a technical standard for notebook hardware add-ons):
People Can't Memorize Computer Industry Acronyms :)

LOL! Yeah, very few people could because there are just way too many of them! ;)