How useful is the Search It! tool? Try it for yourself - you'll lose count of all the ways you use it! Share clever ideas here. The Video Action Guide (for visual learners) - discuss use of the video version of the "AG" here. Also, get help with Find It!, Tips and Techniques (TNT) HQ, Monetization HQ (MHQ), Resources HQ, InfoCenter & DownloadCenter ... give tips or ask for help on these invaluable SBI! resources!

Moderator: Maria from Agness

#1337927 by ken-admin
Thu Dec 03, 2015 8:59 pm
Hi to all,

Help Elf today announced the launch of a bunch of new releases...

Super! One teensy-weensy thing...

I suspect that something as big, but as subtle, as our rework of the HQs, could get lost in that list of sharp new releases. But we're curious about what you think of this way to deliver articles on the really wide variety of topics that the TNT HQ and MHQ cover.

Please answer the following short-straight question with short-straight answers. The best feedback is always "the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth" (as you see it). Don't worry if your truth might hurt someone's feelings and don't blow smoke up our, well, you know. ;-)

Here we go...

I think this new format is <<BETTER or WORSE>> than before because <<FILL IN REASON>>.

UM, that's it. Just copy that sentence into your reply and complete the two << >> sections.

I rarely live up to my promise of keeping it short. Please reward the monkey with lots of bananas. :-)

All the best,
#1337929 by Kate from US
Thu Dec 03, 2015 9:17 pm
I think this new format is worse than before because it will now take longer to search with Control+F since titles (think search-words) to articles are hidden.

#1337956 by Felicity from Kearney
Fri Dec 04, 2015 6:01 am
I think this new format is worse than before because it takes longer to search using Control+F.
#1337959 by Sue from UK
Fri Dec 04, 2015 8:17 am
I think this new format is BETTER than before because I never seemed to find what I wanted using search and this new layout just invites me to read something and refresh my knowledge.
#1337966 by Mark from Northern Taiwan
Fri Dec 04, 2015 11:27 am
I think it's worse; it's slower to search.

And I'd like to know which articles are new (maybe you still do this, but I can't see the notice of new articles anymore).
#1337968 by Elly from
Fri Dec 04, 2015 11:38 am
I think this new format is BETTER than before because it provides a better overview of categories and is easier to search.

#1337971 by Petter from Goodville
Fri Dec 04, 2015 1:15 pm
I think this new format is WORSE than before because I can no longer scan the subjects of the articles under each category.
#1337975 by Vicki from Lilbourn
Fri Dec 04, 2015 2:50 pm
I think this new format is WORSE than before because I have to click to see the titles now.

#1337988 by Latarsha from Navajo
Fri Dec 04, 2015 5:07 pm
I think this new format is BETTER than before because it makes it easier to see everything at a glance and then drill into those sections that are relevant to me at the moment.
#1338008 by ken-admin
Fri Dec 04, 2015 11:24 pm
REALLY interesting, super-useful.

If you have not fed back yet, please see the top post and then enter your answer.

It only takes 15 seconds, but it's really important.

Thanks to all for helping out,
#1338012 by Paul from Somewhere, out there...
Sat Dec 05, 2015 12:18 am
I actually like it. It makes the subject areas more obvious on what would otherwise be a very long page. But I can understand why some may not like it because the process requires clicking on the subject area in the top index and then clicking again to drill down.

This means two or more clicks to find an article instead of a quick scan. Plus the search capability is lost until a window is opened as Kate mentioned. 1st world problem I know but it isn't really fluid if you are used to the "old way"!

Perhaps this new format with a simple on-page search facility/CMS that could see the 'hidden' content would be an ideal solution. The other shorter term option may be to actually spread the TNT over a few pages of subject areas. For example - the "Creating Content" section could be it's own page with everything displayed as it was before. Still may require two clicks initially but if you were constantly referring back to that section it would be easy enough to Bookmark.

Another thought that may actually assist in the ease of use is to place the Table of Contents at the top of the page. If it could be widened so it wasn't as long that would also help.

Random thoughts.
#1338084 by Judith from Quarryville
Sat Dec 05, 2015 6:39 pm
I think this new format is <<BETTER>> than before because <<it is easier to read, quicker to find things because it is easier to read (with topic headings highlighted they stand out nicely) and lays out the topics when clicked in a nice neat fashion>>.

I use the TNT a fair bit, at times, and love having that info available with a click or two.

Sorry that I haven't used the <<>> properly because mine still show, so likely won't be added to your tally.
#1338093 by Jacki from Macleod
Sat Dec 05, 2015 8:43 pm
I think this new format is <<BETTER>> than before because <<it's more intuitive>>

However, I think the links should open in a new window, because it's not obvious how to return to the TNT (without going back to Site Central).
#1338103 by Mary from Mico
Sat Dec 05, 2015 9:45 pm
I'm really missing how this is better for finding individual articles or topics (I mean in the lower accordion files). It reminds me of my frustration with the Results.sitesell page (of old anyway).

Let's say I wanted to find the Facebook article "A Facebook Like Experiment That Worked" because I had read it, remembered it, and also wanted to link to it for another forum member to answer a question about FB. Currently, I am not able to use Ctrl F to search with a distinguishing word like experiment. Or a root like experi.

Also, if I did not know that an experiment had existed or was proven to work I would not have seen this possibility "at a glance" once I reached the FB section as the block is closed.

Experimenting, when I just now used Ctrl F for the topic Facebook I arrived at the jump link, click the link, and find a closed box - meaning no info or list of articles. Perhaps it would be more useful if the closed box would open when the jump link is clicked. Having to use this page this way reminds me of using the old Yahoo type directory. I'd have to know Yahoo's categories for things.

I, too, frequently refer to or link to the TNT, so I'm surely missing something. Perhaps I've missed another function on this page, although I have looked.

Like Andrew said, perhaps if the default were set so that the articles were all open and able to be closed this would be more convenient. Otherwise my inclination is to open all of the blocks, hoping that they will stay open for my next visit. Forget it. I just tried it; and by clicking on only one of the articles and clicking "back", my previously opened blocks had already disappeared "at a click".

I love the top two blocks and am happy to report that the purple links show that I've read almost half of them lately. I recognize most of the others so either they've been updated or I've changed cookies? Very helpful.