How useful is the Search It! tool? Try it for yourself - you'll lose count of all the ways you use it! Share clever ideas here. The Video Action Guide (for visual learners) - discuss use of the video version of the "AG" here. Also, get help with Find It!, Tips and Techniques (TNT) HQ, Monetization HQ (MHQ), Resources HQ, InfoCenter & DownloadCenter ... give tips or ask for help on these invaluable SBI! resources!

Moderator: Maria from Agness

#1359774 by Julie from Adona
Sun Dec 04, 2016 7:46 pm
I know, it's really frustrating, Elly. Sometimes it's like talking to a pile of smoldering goo...<heavy sigh>

#1359864 by N. from Castrelo
Mon Dec 05, 2016 8:05 pm
Thanks so much for opening this thread. I would really appreciate help predicting/understanding the scope of the planned Google algorithm change to penalize intrusive insterstitials (described here: ... nt-on.html); i.e., what type of email list opt-in forms will still be okay? How big is too big? Will pop-unders be penalized?

(Like others here, I am also interested in help with Google Analytics).

Many thanks!
#1360585 by ken-admin
Fri Dec 16, 2016 3:54 pm
Hi to all,

The tabulation is in!

The overwhelming winner is that you need an 80-20 article on Google Analytics - "how to get the most out of GA with the least amount of effort?" That's not exactly what you said, actually...

The recurrent feedback was "help me with GA." Here's the thing, though, with GA...

You can get lost in GA forever, if you're not careful. I used to dig really deeply into GA, and it's fascinating. Actually, I think I dug into it because it IS fascinating. I'm not sure that all that work-play gave me a ton of usable info.

Even, years later, when we brought a high-priced consultant
on board, it didn't add much beyond those basics. We added
a few strategies, yes, but I'm not convinced that they are
adding a lot of INFO (big difference from data) that matters.

Don't get me wrong...

For big businesses, selling tons of stuff, with super-complicated dynamic sites and with 3 full-time GAnalysts on the payroll, it's priceless. But for solopreneur sites, I bring it down to what's most useful...

- how am I doing overall? What are the key data that I should go after to know that?

- where's my traffic coming from? Uptrends, downtrends.

- year-on-year comparisons

- how could I sell more of my product/services?

- where are my opportunities going forward?

In other words, what's THE 20 that will give THE 80 that is most valuable to you. That's the direction that we'll take these articles. So don't worry...

This/these article(s) won't get anywhere close to the bottomless rabbit hole that I once went down. You won't have to get number-crazed or work out super-complicated filters.

One thing we've learned after 15 years of SBI! 👉 we know that many people have trouble thinking about how to turn DATA into usable INFOrmation. We've been reminded of that recently...

We're almost finished debugging Brainstorm It! 3.5. We're not going to release it yet, though. The incredible value for most will be in the tasks.

Tasks will sort through data and turn it into really useful conclusions that you'll ACT upon to grow your business. And you don't just use it during the first 5 DAYS. Actually, the bigger your site grows, the more data you accumulate in the SE HQ (which we are integrating into BI!), the more valuable Brainstorm It! 4.0 becomes.

Yes, 4.0. Tasks are so valuable, now that we see the data all in one place, that this is a bigger jump than we realized.

You'll be able to run the tasks manually, of course. But human nature being what it is, the automated feature makes them far more useful. Yes, they'll also run automatically. You'll have your choice of being notified of important opportunities by email, Site Central's Dashboard, browser notification (even if you're not in SBI!), and/or text message (ex., "notify me about winnable topic with high commercial potential for which I have not written a page).

Sorry about that segue, but it's relevant to this discussion... data vs. info and how to turn the former into the latter.

With GA, you have to learn the interface and how to manipulate the data. As usually, we'll assume zero-knowledge and we'll start with those basics and tackle this in stages.

We'll let YOU tell US where the 80-20 is by starting with the "The Top 10 Things You NEED to Pull from GA" and then asking, "what else" at the end of each article.

The first will probably give you the 90-10, actually. Each article beyond that will give you less info for more work. I don't see this going beyond 2, maybe 3 articles (although this is the type of project that defines itself as you write it, so I can't be sure).

By that time, you'll be fluent, no matter how number-phobic you may be, in getting what you REALLY need to know in a simple step-by-step-and-then-analyze process.

When I think of Nori's successful business, I see how few
things she pulls out of GA, and how rarely. It's far more
important to make BIG decision on monetization models that
have nothing to do with GA. Unlike her old man, she's not a
numbers-freak. She's practical.

Let's use an example...

She "thinks forward," imagining the visitor coming to the
site from a variety of sources. She thinks up the best way
to funnel visitors to the order page. It's NOT a complicated
concept. Then she implements.

After a few weeks of data, GA becomes useful to spot holes.
For example, are there landing pages of importance/relevance
where she could improve the funnel by adding a link to the
order page?

Keep it practical and you can get most of what is useful out
of GA with not much work (nor much learning curve to acquire
that ability).

At the end of each article, we'll ask, "What else would you like to get out of GA?" After the 2nd or 3rd, the answers, if there are any, will be rather esoteric/rarefied...

THAT will be our cue that these articles have fulfilled their mandate because anyone asking those types of advanced questions are ready to follow the few advanced-resource links that we'll leave at the end.

And to those folks, I leave but one caveat...

Careful. That rabbit hole goes mighty deep. :-)

All the best,
#1360592 by ken-admin
Fri Dec 16, 2016 4:42 pm

Regarding this question...

N. from Castrelo wrote:Thanks so much for opening this thread. I would really appreciate help predicting/understanding the scope of the planned Google algorithm change to penalize intrusive insterstitials (described here: ... nt-on.html); i.e., what type of email list opt-in forms will still be okay? How big is too big? Will pop-unders be penalized?

I've replied in the thread that covers this topic...

All the best,
#1360607 by Mary from Mico
Fri Dec 16, 2016 6:35 pm
Hi Ken,

Thank you for posting.

I'd like to thank you for what's available in BI 3.5 already. I've used it to help discern which pages I should review/improve first according to season, traffic, and whether a page was already built. This was super helpful to me on four updated pages. Please thank the programmers for me!

I really look forward to seeing BI 4.0 and what you write about GA.

#1360663 by ken-admin
Sat Dec 17, 2016 8:18 pm
Colin, I saw your request.

At first, I thought it was rather limited. But I think it'd serve as a good example to anyone about how to do their own simple product. Make It! covers even the most original, complicated product.

This gives you an idea of a simpler project...

I hope it's what you were looking for. :-)

All the best,
#1360666 by Karen from Mackey
Sat Dec 17, 2016 9:03 pm
Thanks! Looking forward to reading about how to use GA and the new BI.
#1360757 by N. from Castrelo
Mon Dec 19, 2016 7:25 pm
Hi Ken,

Thanks so much for your post on the Google Algorithm change -- that is incredibly helpful. Exactly what I wanted to know.

And the planned articles on Google Analytics sound great!

Many thanks again,