How useful is the Search It! tool? Try it for yourself - you'll lose count of all the ways you use it! Share clever ideas here. The Video Action Guide (for visual learners) - discuss use of the video version of the "AG" here. Also, get help with Find It!, Tips and Techniques (TNT) HQ, Monetization HQ (MHQ), Resources HQ, InfoCenter & DownloadCenter ... give tips or ask for help on these invaluable SBI! resources!

Moderator: Maria from Agness

#1364430 by ken-admin
Mon Feb 06, 2017 7:29 pm

Hi to all,

Last night's Super Bowl was probably the best ever. As of the time of this writing, no news outlet has published the only explanation for this wildly exciting and improbable game.

So, in the name of "Fake News," you read it here first...

Patriots Drugged

There's no other explanation for the first 3 quarters (minus 2 minutes). Someone drugged their water just before game time. But in the tradition of "the best laid plans"...

The "evil Commissioner" seems to have mis-calculated the dosage required to keep them moribund for the full duration.

The effects wore off with only 17 minutes left to play in the game. The rest was so miraculous that the game will be remembered as "The Comeback of all Time."

Feel free to share this on Facebook, home of fake news. ;-)

On another note, the Super Bowl is the most extreme example of C Image T Image P Image M that exists. You, too, can earn $5,000,000 per 30 seconds by creating incredible content that people want.

Heck, you don't actually need the Internet! ;-)

On a third note, one part of the game ticked me off. Contrary to the previous point, it implies that you just don't need C Image T Image P Image M.

So who has me all riled up on this fine Monday afternoon?

Their Super Bowl spot wasn't as blatantly misleading as last year's. In that one, the agent from the "Entourage" TV show encourages Brett Favre to "Do what everybody else does. Start a business. Build yourself a website"...

"You did that yourself?" Hey....

Heck, if NFL hall-of-famers can do it, anyone can, right? ;-) Of course, the only money Fabre made from the site was his fee for making the ad.

Oh, and then there was the closing hashtag...

This year?

More stars come out to play. Well, "play" may not be the right word. This time, the stars don't build a website. Instead, Jason Statham and Gal Gadot destroy a restaurant while the chef is building his website in the kitchen.

I mean, it's just GOTTA be easy. Here's the full 2-minute extended cut. It truly is a fantastic, entertaining video. And the last few seconds of the 2:02 have got to leave you laughing...

They come closer to the truth this year - by not really making much sense...

"To succeed in a disruptive world, Wix makes it easy to create your own stunning website."

A stunning website isn't going to break through "in a disruptive world."

A stunning website is the equivalent of an immaculate stadium WITHOUT the Super Bowl. You still have to fill it with Content (that people need/want)....

AND you will still have to do a whole lot more than that before you actually own a profitable BUSINESS. We just put up a new page to communicate that...

Oh yes, I kind of take issue with new tagline, too...

It IS easy to create a stunning website. Unfortunately, too many people are still going to equate that with building a business.

It takes C Image T Image P Image M to build a BUSINESS, you bunch of $%#^*$@'s....

And you can file that one under "REAL News." :-)

All the best,

P.S. I wonder how much it would cost us to get Jason and Gal to do a TV spot doing what SBIers do? Scratch that - even THEY couldn't make real work look sexy! ;-)
#1364438 by Dan from Saint Albans Bay
Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:48 pm
Ahh, expert marketers. Ya gotta admire how easily they can brainwash the world to act in accordance with their client's best interests.

Too bad only a select few of the world's inhabitants ever stop to question what they are being taught, whose doing the teaching, and whose best interests are truly being served.

Truth is, every commercial highlights and exaggerates the benefits of what's being sold, while downplaying or ignoring the opportunity costs (unless the government steps in and forces them to put the opportunity costs in unreadable fine print).

And what's the underlying belief that all commercials are selling? If you buy the product being advertised, you will be happier than you'll be without it, i.e., more money to spend equates to more happiness. It's no wonder so many people are chasing after money and material possessions instead of chasing after a life that will truly make them happy.

That being said, I don't fault the marketers for doing the job they were hired to do, or the companies who are doing what they have to in order to compete. It's the people who are letting expert marketers do their thinking for them that upsets me.

#1364456 by ken-admin
Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:09 pm
Brilliantly said, Dan.

And hey...

When they can use smoke and mirrors (and explosions) to falsely imply in 30 seconds ("you'll be a success"), what we take pages and pages of to prove (requiring hours of reading and thinking about it), I gotta admit...

Maybe I'm just a little bit jealous. ;-)

All the best,
#1364476 by Rob from France
Tue Feb 07, 2017 7:45 am
Easy and free?? I beg to differ.
A friend is starting out in a business as an animal behaviouralist and decided she wanted a website, with a maximum of about ten pages. Wix was the first one she chose. Of course, she got stuck somewhere and asked me to have a look. What she wanted was a Captcha. Ah, but! THAT is an add-on. Which is payable.

You want this particular bell? Or that whistle? Kerching.

She has now started again using another one I've not heard of; Jimdo. At least its prices are more reasonable and she can have a Google Captcha form.

"Why not SBI?" I hear you ask. It was obviously my first thought. And I did seriously consider it. But she's French. And no-where in the SBI sign-up pages could I see a language setting. I don't have the time to do the site for her, so she needs to build it herself.

I'm glad she didn't go with Wix though. Yuk.
#1364480 by Harvey from Woodbridge
Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:42 am
Just to play devil's advocate for a moment...

Aren't we comparing apples with oranges here?

SBI!'s target market is folks who want to build a successful online business. But that's a tiny, tiny subset of the folks that Wix is trying to reach.

You said that the number of solopreneurs out there is much smaller than you thought, Ken. So Wix is hardly going to spend Superbowl-level dollars trying to reach a tiny, tiny number of people.

True, if someone signs up with Wix expecting to put up a site and make money, they'll be disappointed.

For everyone else, I imagine they're people who already have some kind of offline business but lack a website. Wix is offering them a chance to get a stunning web presence.

Personally, I know nobody in my local circle who is either an online solopreneur or would want to become an online solopreneur (when I tell them what I do, they think I'm some kind of waster). But...

I know a ton of people with independent "real world" businesses who either have zero web presence or their site is the polar opposite of "stunning."

So when you look at it in that light, "it's that easy" doesn't sound so unreasonable.

Also, I doubt that these people I know would benefit from the SBI! approach to building traffic.

A lot of their traffic will come from existing local word of mouth and social amplification. Beyond that, there's a greater ROI in paid traffic than content-driven organic traffic.

Just my 2c.

All the best,
#1364485 by Vivi from
Tue Feb 07, 2017 1:00 pm

I believe you are so right in all what you say. And I have had the same thoughts for a while now, but haven't been able to express it so clearly as you.

My daughter has a well paying job that she loves, but she also recently started an offline business selling her own products (handicrafts).

She knows about SBI and how I love it. But I agree with her - it's not for her or her business.

In stead she has opened a webshop on Tictail, from where dealers and private people can order. And she markets her products on social media.

Also, SBI would not be for her, as she doesn't have time to write a whole lot of pages to get free traffic. In stead she will advertise, if necessary.

Time will tell if she succeeds with Tictail.

- Vivi
#1364487 by Harvey from Woodbridge
Tue Feb 07, 2017 1:49 pm
Precisely, Vivi. :D

You won't find a greater evangelist for SBI! than me. And I personally owe everything I've got to SBI! (and to Ken in particular).

That said, it's NOT the right solution for "anyone who needs an online presence" (i.e., the folks that Wix is trying to reach, IMO).

I worry that laying into Wix is...

1) Not helpful to potential SBIers (because we're not comparing apples to apples, which might leave them confused as to what SBI! actually is).

2) Harking back to the old "WordPress vs. SBI!" days that led, in part, to the rise of the IEDs.

I say all this in the spirit of constructive debate, not to be a pain in the you-know-what. :D

All the best,
#1364489 by Dan from Saint Albans Bay
Tue Feb 07, 2017 2:36 pm
Harvey wrote:Personally, I know nobody in my local circle who is either an online solopreneur or would want to become an online solopreneur (when I tell them what I do, they think I'm some kind of waster). But...

I know a ton of people with independent "real world" businesses who either have zero web presence or their site is the polar opposite of "stunning."

I echo Harvey's sentiments wholeheartedly. So, Ken, have you considered the old, "If you can't beat 'em, join 'em" proverb?

Surely your team of elite programmers could come up with point and click "It's that easy" type of website builder designed to give small business owners "a stunning web presence" in short order.

Of course, if they want traffic to that stunning web presence, up-sell them to the online business builder package. Market to all small businesses at no-brainer pricing, then ferret out the 1%'rs you're most interested in targeting for Sole Build It!.

I'm sure you've considered this, so I'm sure you already have good reasons for not going down that road. But from the outside, it sure seems like a potential solution to SBI's stalled growth.

#1364491 by Harvey from Woodbridge
Tue Feb 07, 2017 3:44 pm
Neat idea, Dan. I have no idea how feasible your suggestion is, but personally I could have referred a ton of traffic to "SBI! lite" over the years.

Like all the visitors to my website, for example. Pretty much every one of them needs a simple author website. They don't need it to generate traffic (they do that through Amazon, etc.). But they DO need an impressive web presence to which to refer their fans and take sign-ups.

Am I hand-on-heart going to recommend SBI! to them? Nope. They don't need it.

I myself need to start a brochure site under my own name. Will I use SBI!? Nope. As much as I'd love to stick with what I know, what I need isn't worth $300 a year to me.

All the best,
#1364492 by Claude from
Tue Feb 07, 2017 3:49 pm
I say let's be charitable and do for Wix (eventually) disatisfied users what was done for the WP users.

Let's offer them a fighting chance at solopreneurship.

SBI! For Wix

If only 1% eagerly grasp the SBI! lifeline...

#1364497 by Dan from Saint Albans Bay
Tue Feb 07, 2017 4:28 pm
Claude from wrote:I say let's be charitable and do for Wix (eventually) disatisfied users what was done for the WP users.

Let's offer them a fighting chance at solopreneurship.

SBI! For Wix

#1364501 by Claude from
Tue Feb 07, 2017 5:04 pm
Dan from Saint Albans Bay wrote:Perfect!!

It's that easy!

P.S. Admittedly, a move like that would entail a lot of work for the SBI! team and involve a sizeable $$$ budget - which = risk. But, maybe, just maybe...
#1364548 by Claude from
Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:56 pm
Vivi from wrote:I never really understood the SBI-for-WP-concept.

As I understand it, WordPress is the poor man's version of our BB2 BlockBuilder. :D

SBI! for WP is an add-on to WP which gives the WP user access to everything else that SBI! has to offer such as (known to us SBIers as the Action Guide):
DAY-1 to DAY-5 - critical market research tools and techniques for the aspiring solopreneur.
DAY-7 to DAY-10 - tools and techniques to grow and monetize the solopreneur's online business.

DAY-6 is the site building step that the WP users have (unfortunately) too often sidestepped by the time they subscribe to SBI! for WP :roll:

I hope that my explanation is not too far off the mark...and that it has helped you understand the concept behind SBI! for WP. :wink: