How useful is the Search It! tool? Try it for yourself - you'll lose count of all the ways you use it! Share clever ideas here. The Video Action Guide (for visual learners) - discuss use of the video version of the "AG" here. Also, get help with Find It!, Tips and Techniques (TNT) HQ, Monetization HQ (MHQ), Resources HQ, InfoCenter & DownloadCenter ... give tips or ask for help on these invaluable SBI! resources!

Moderator: Maria from Agness

#1391097 by Barrie from Curries Post
Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:45 am
I discovered by accident that even my own Site Search it button wasn't finding one of my pages. It triggered a thought: how many other pages wouldn't it find?

Well, I've only scratched the bottom of the barrel and I'm discovering a huge number of my own pages that my own Search won't find. Sobering!

And boring. I'm on a laborious task of doing this for all pages, and fixing them of course as I go along.

Most of it relates to Breadcrumbs - there must be a link back from the next level up and down, or Go from XX to YY and there's no link back from YY.

Or too many outbound links, especially to one of my own other sites, not "No follow" ed.

What's particularly hurtful is a breadcrumb to one of these pages that Googs won't recognise; then the perfectly good page from which your are trying to link is also blacklisted.

And a link in your page to the wrong page is a dead give away. I'm struggling with whether one should put in Coward's Castle, or leave out the apostrophe.

I can't say yet whether there will be an improvement in traffic, but I will be very surprised if there isn't.

Constructing pages exactly to Google's changing exacting requirements is very boring, but very necessary.

There was a time when you couldn't put links or graphics near an Adsense; they seem to have lightened up on that. Repeating a word in a paragraph is often still problematic, though heaven only knows why Googs objects to using the words bee and honeybee in the same paragraph should be offensive to the reader.
Googs keeps moving the goalposts and we have to be abreast of these things.

#1391319 by Jeff from
Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:42 am
Hi Barrie. Google Search Console has a schema markup tester that you can use for the breadcrumb code for each page. That will ensure that you've done everything correctly. However, I recommend that, once you know that a Tier 2 to home and Tier 3 to Tier crumb is correct, save each as a reusable block. Then simply change the file name and page name in the code.
#1391418 by Morgen from White Pine
Sun Jan 28, 2018 7:49 pm
I made reusable blocks for T3 and T2 pages. I built one for each T2 segment. Each T2 links to home, and each T3 links back to the T2 and home. It doesn't look like breadcrumbs, but it helps the visitor find their way around.

Here is the code I used:
You are here:
<div id="BreadCrumb">
<ol itemscope

<li itemprop="itemListElement" itemscope

<a itemprop="item"

<span itemprop="name">HOMEPAGE NAME</span></a>
<meta itemprop="position" content="1">

<a itemprop="item" href="T2-PAGE HTML">
<span itemprop="name">T2-PAGE NAME</span></a>
<meta itemprop="position" content="2">

<a itemprop="item" href="T3-PAGE HTML">
<span itemprop="name">T3-PAGE NAME</span></a>
<meta itemprop="position" content="3">

This is an example of my T3 code. Eliminate the T3 section for T2 pages. It seems to work really well...
#1391431 by Bonnie from Boneville
Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:05 pm
Hi Barry,

I think you are assuming "Google" the search engine cannot find your pages because the site search isn't working...they aren't the same thing. It may be due to the https update or something else - may I suggest going back to your G. account and getting the code again and replacing it - both on the search page, and also on the results page (which currently reads adsense results in the headline). ;-)
#1391458 by Will from Los Ojos
Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:22 pm
Nice post, Bonnie. Barrie, when I found your Site Search page it worked fine for me.

To expand on Bonnie's post, first, Google can see all of these pages without any problem. If you put site:[Domain Private] into the Chrome search bar, it shows that Google has got 2,260 pages indexed and available for answering queries for this site. That's seems like a pretty big number.

I doubt this has got anything to do with breadcrumbs either as many, many sites don't use breadcrumbs and Google has no problem indexing them. Google is not going to take offence at sites without breadcrumbs or it would cut the Search results in half, and be very bad for business.

Provided there is a nav bar on each page with a Home button, that will give Google a way of getting to every page on the site. The breadcrumbs will give extra Google Tier and relationship information, but even without that, Google can crawl the whole site. Another URL for testing breadcrumbs is the Google tool here

All that's left, then, is the Search engine code, which I tried and worked for me. The Site Search page does seem to return results for more than one site though, the other one being

A search for Coward's Castle brings up only answers from

#1392244 by Barrie from Curries Post
Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:44 am
You guys are stars. Yes, reloading the search code again has been a great help and why things are working again, Will.

In the Adsense Search results page, Bonnie, I found this:

<div id="cse-search-results"></div>
<script type="text/javascript">
var googleSearchIframeName = "cse-search-results";
var googleSearchFormName = "cse-search-box";
var googleSearchFrameWidth = 800;
var googleSearchDomain = "";
var googleSearchPath = "/cse";
<script type="text/javascript" src=""></script>

Should I delete that, and replace with the new search code? Looks totally different, but the above loaded more than ten years ago.

#1392248 by Barrie from Curries Post
Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:16 am
Will, one more thought your very full answer brings up: is it necessary for there to be a link to every T2 page on the home T1 page, or is the navigation bar adequate?

#1392249 by Will from Los Ojos
Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:31 pm
Barrie from Curries Post wrote:Will, one more thought your very full answer brings up: is it necessary for there to be a link to every T2 page on the home T1 page, or is the navigation bar adequate?

Hi Barrie,

It's a good question, but needs to be viewed from a slightly different angle.

Imagine Googlebot is a bloodhound that lands on your Home page. Nose to the ground, it goes sniffing for links, and when it finds one it follows it. Now, the definition of a T2 page is a page that can be reached directly from the T1 page (the Home page).

So, in our scenario, the bloodhound follows all the links it finds, inc those to the nav bar pages, the privacy Policy page you have at the foot of the page, Pages that others like (in the right column), the Recent Articles column in the left column, any inline text or image links etc. All of those are by definition T2 pages, because the bloodhound can get to them directly from the Home page.

So you're question needs to be viewed in reverse. You said " is it necessary for there to be a link to every T2 page on the home T1 page" & the strict answer is "If the page is linked to from the Home page, it is automatically a T2 page. That is what the definition of a T2 page is".

Underlying your question though, is probably - is a Nav bar link different in any way to an inline text link.

They look different, but in html terms, both are written <a herf= "url">...</a>. Web designers use CSS to style them differently for the humans. The CSS makes the nav bar links look one way for humans, and the inline text links look another way. Convention says that if we put Nav Bar links in the same place on every page, and make the look consistent on every page, visitors might just get the message that these are Important Pages. However, to the bloodhound, they're the same.

A T3 page then, is a page that you can only get to from a T2 page, and has not got its own link from the Home page.

Also bear in mind, that in the real world, the bloodhound doesn't necessarily come into your site from just the Home page, but may have followed a link from another site which brings him in on a T3 page. Google will crawl your site from every angle. That's why T3 pages have links back to the Home page. When Google sees every page has a link back to one particular page (the Home page) that tells it that the Home page is a Very Important Page.

This process makes a big web of links that Google knits together to get a picture of how your pages are interrelated. And it has 2,260 of them available for searchers for your site. The breadcrumb code adds a little extra piece of additional information to the individual link that tells Google something about the " tier relationship" between the links in the breadcrumb. Google can use this additional information to display the breadcrumb in your Search result.

#1392258 by Debs from SiteSell
Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:30 pm
Since Google follows all links it finds (eventually) from your home page, having a text based navbar is good enough. However, your visitors don't work quite the same way ;) The idea is to lead your visitor to your most wanted response for a page, including your home page.

The job of the home page is to get visitors deeper into your site's pages and it best accomplishes this if you lead them via the content of the page.

So while great to have the text-based navbar; do offer a couple links in the actual content of your home page to just a few Tier 2 pages, where they fit naturally, and encourage your visitors to go to these select Tier 2's.

Remember, visitors don't want to see "everything" ... they may not be able to make up their mind on where to go next! So in context, just a couple choices should be offered for best conversions within the actual content.

Hope this helps,

#1392311 by Barrie from Curries Post
Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:03 pm
Will, that Structured Data testing tool looks very useful, but it's driving me crazy!

Of my breadcrumb at the page: [Domain Private]
I get this response:
Breadcrumb 2 ERRORS 0 WARNINGS
@type Breadcrumb
url [Domain Private]
x “title"

Chiropractic Help (The property Breadcrumb/“title" is not recognised by Google for an object of type Breadcrumb.)
x title A value for the title field is required.

This is the breadcrumb I'm using:
<span itemscope itemtype="">
<a href="[Domain Private]/" itemprop="url">
<span itemprop=“title">Chiropractic Help</span></a>
<span itemprop="child" itemscope itemtype="">
<a href="[Domain Private]/Slump-Test-for-Sciatica.html" itemprop="url">
<span itemprop="title">Slump test for sciatica</span></a>
› Massaging bed rest

Can you see anything amiss with it?

#1392313 by Barrie from Curries Post
Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:29 pm
Hello again Debs and Will,
Just where do you guys get the time to answer all our questions in such detail! You are truly amazing!

As you know probably my [Domain Private] site performs VERY poorly; yesterday it got 14c of Adsense income despite nearly 500 pages. So I decided to try putting links to all T2 pages on the home page. Didn't make any difference. It looks cluttered and from what I can gather from what you both say, many of the links on the home page can be removed.

Many thanks to you both.

#1392315 by Mary from Mico
Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:50 pm
Hello Bernie.

In the meantime, here's the SBI article on using the latest breadcrumbs:

It uses different code and also makes a link of the last "child" page link as we used to do with the original navigation links.

Thank you for this note because I have many pages that still have the old code. :shock:

Now. Where's that wish list for automagic breadcrumbs? :D

I see this page:

#1392331 by Will from Los Ojos
Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:34 pm
Barrie from Curries Post wrote:
Can you see anything amiss with it?

Hi Barrie,

The first double apostrophe before the word title is the wrong kind of double apostrophe. You need to delete it and add the one that lives above the numeral 2 on your keyboard.

I hope that makes sense because it looks quite odd when I read it back, but it should work OK ..

#1392343 by Barrie from Curries Post
Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:42 am
Oh, thanks Will and Mary. How on earth did the apostrophe get into there? Will now try Lori's new breadcrumbs.

To fix 1000 pages!
#1392380 by Mary from Mico
Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:51 am

If there was an error in the original code, you'd only have to fix that code in all its locations.

I do not think that it is necessary to update to the new code. I know that there are many successful SBI sites that still use plain links in their return navigation.

If you have to fix that code on many pages you might conditionally want to update the code. If you do, be sure to make reusable blocks that you can clone for each new repair.