From Brainstorming to Monetizing, the Mac is a different machine. Mac users have unique issues that can get lost in the "Sea of PC." Do use the various forums for issues that are NOT Mac-specific. But if you've got "something Mac" to talk about, this is the "all-Mac, all-day" channel.

Moderator: Jeff from dogquotations.com

#1342241 by Paul from Somewhere, out there...
Tue Feb 02, 2016 12:33 pm
Hi

I am researching 4k monitors (27" or larger) and would like to be able to connect it with Retina MacBook Pro.

If you have ever done this you may know that it can be tricky and so I am wondering if anyone has had a successful experience and with what model screen?

Thanks!
Paul
#1342284 by Paul from Somewhere, out there...
Tue Feb 02, 2016 8:08 pm
Jeff from dogquotations.com wrote:This is the one you should use with any MacBook Pro.

http://www.apple.com/shop/product/MC914 ... h?fnode=8a

Ha! Thanks - I have had one but as it's not 4K is there any particular reason you suggest it? It's probably the easiest path to go I admit until their new monitors are released.
Paul
#1342309 by Jeff from dogquotations.com
Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:30 pm
Sorry, I forgot about the 4K part of your request.

I'd stick with the Apple ones if you can wait, because they come with ports, for charging a laptop and other useful tasks.
#1342315 by Paul from Somewhere, out there...
Tue Feb 02, 2016 11:08 pm
Hi Jeff
Yes - I actually agree. I hate using something non-Apple for so many reasons. So much so that I am actually contemplating just getting the 5k iMac when I only really need a monitor!

Thanks
Paul
#1391669 by Paul from Somewhere, out there...
Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:55 am
Well - its almost exactly 2 years since my last post about this so I have an update and a question if anyone has any input.

I ended up buying the DELL 4k, P2715Qt. I was able to get a really good deal - way cheaper than an Apple (although an Apple would have been a heap better, Jeff!) .

So , when I got it, the MBPro (round about a 2014 or 2015) worked flawlessly with it. Great result and everything I had read said it worked, with the Thunderbolt connection.

To cut a long story short, Apple replaced the unit with a 2017 unit which came with USB3. I got adaptors for the HDMI - not Apple ones - and although it works, it takes about 3 goes to connect fully. The MBPro sees the Dell but the picture doesn't display first time.

I have read all sorts of stuff about connection and display issues (mine is still displaying at 2160p so that's good) and wanted to ask whether anyone had the same setup without the setup hassle.

I should add that I have also read that the MultiPort Adaptor (https://www.apple.com/shop/product/MJ1K ... rt-adapter) is the only way to go but ay AUD100..., I'm pausing....

Thanks!
Paul