Need HTML? Want to use CSS (cascading style sheets)? Need a touch of help with Javascript, Java, or other coding language? Whether through SBI!'s BlockBuilder 2 or your own HTML Editor, post here. Push the envelope. Learn basics (ex., how to format your text, add tables) or go as "out there" as you like. Problems? Questions? Help and be helped.

Moderators: Laura from Chautauqua, Will from Los Ojos

#1380924 by Bill from Talos IV
Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:49 am
I'm using the Custom Responsive 2 Col (c,n) template. I widened the RH column using this code and it works OK:
Code: Select all#ContentColumn {
    width: 64.5%;
}

#NavColumn {
    width: 35%
}

However, I'd like the NavColumn to shrink to a minimum width of 310 px (for ad placement reasons), while still allowing the content column to narrow further. Is this possible?

Thanks

Bill
#1380926 by Jacki from Macleod
Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:06 am
I would steer clear of using any kind of absolute positioning (ie: pixels vs percentage). It would be difficult to figure this out to make sure it looks good on every device and width.
#1380935 by Will from Los Ojos
Sun Sep 10, 2017 1:05 pm
Hi Bill,

However, I'd like the NavColumn to shrink to a minimum width of 310 px (for ad placement reasons), while still allowing the content column to narrow further. Is this possible?

Yes.

Code: Select all#ContentColumn {
    width: calc(100% - 310px);
    max-width: 690px;
}

#NavColumn {
    width: 310px;
}

It doesn't matter what device views this either (as long as it's an up to date browser).

Will
#1380939 by Bill from Talos IV
Sun Sep 10, 2017 2:16 pm
Hey Will,

That works perfectly, exactly the way I wanted! I switched from using Adsense to using Mediavine ads ( thanks to Jacki's earlier posts about them - thanks Jacki! ). Mediavine requires a minimum 300px wide extra column for its ads.

The way the original template worked after my first modification of widening the nav column, that column would narrow to less than 300px as the total page width narrowed. Since Mediavine is doing so well for me, I want to do all I can to allow them to optimize the ads used on my site. And now, ads up to 300px can be placed in the nav column, no matter the width, until the page breaks into a single column at 767px.

Thank you very much!

Bill
#1380942 by Debs from SiteSell
Sun Sep 10, 2017 2:51 pm
Jacki from Macleod wrote:I would steer clear of using any kind of absolute positioning (ie: pixels vs percentage). It would be difficult to figure this out to make sure it looks good on every device and width.

I agree absolute positioning should be avoided when possible. For clarity, setting something to a fixed width (pixels) vs. percentage, is not absolute positioning.

Debs
#1380950 by Jacki from Macleod
Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:58 pm
Bill from Talos IV wrote:I switched from using Adsense to using Mediavine ads ( thanks to Jacki's earlier posts about them - thanks Jacki! ). Mediavine requires a minimum 300px wide extra column for its ads.
They gave me some code to use, didn't they give the same to you??

Debs from SiteSell wrote:For clarity, setting something to a fixed width (pixels) vs. percentage, is not absolute positioning.
Ah, my bad. I didn't know the correct term, obviously. :oops:
#1380961 by Bill from Talos IV
Sun Sep 10, 2017 5:55 pm
Jacki from Macleod wrote:
Bill from Talos IV wrote:I switched from using Adsense to using Mediavine ads ( thanks to Jacki's earlier posts about them - thanks Jacki! ). Mediavine requires a minimum 300px wide extra column for its ads.
They gave me some code to use, didn't they give the same to you??

I looked at your CSS files and see that the code Mediavine gave you is pretty much identical to what I found in an old thread here in the forums, and my site was responding to the browser width same as your does.

I saw another responsive site that had the extra column remain a specific width, while only the content column shrunk. I just thought doing it that way would allow Mediavine to insert 300px ads no matter what the browser width, and maybe help increase earnings a bit.

And thanks again for mentioning Mediavine.

And off topic... (sorry)

Did you sign the eTAL letter? I did.

Have a good one,
#1380970 by Jacki from Macleod
Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:28 pm
Bill from Talos IV wrote:Did you sign the eTAL letter? I did.
That's the one allowing them to add the site to their 'stable' for incoming advertisers? Yes.