SBI!ers, like life itself, are very much a case of "slow-steady-sure wins the race." Too many solopreneurs think that the prize goes to the "Get Rich Quick" ("GRQ") hare. Do YOU know a single person who actually GOT Rich Quick? No, while the hare flits from one "biz-opp" to another, the steady, persistent tortoise RULES. Have a success to share, a failure you need help with? Share it, and solve it here!

Moderator: Antoinette from Bedford

#1366234 by Christie from Gloucestershire
Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:08 pm
I have been lurking around the forum for a while trying to take things in. I haven't yet started a site as I can not decide on a topic/ am finding it hard to get my head around things (I don't think my dyslexia is helping as I don't hold onto information when I read it)

I need to make an income of £1000 a month. Is that at all realistic? Do the majority of people on SBI do that?

I'm at a point where I don't know if I should walk away and do something else or if putting effort into this is realistically going to provide me the income I need.

If anyone can help with some advice I would be very grateful.
#1366247 by Jacki from Macleod
Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:48 pm
Christie from [NO DOMAIN YET]-[Gloucester] wrote:I need to make an income of £1000 a month. Is that at all realistic? Do the majority of people on SBI do that?
There is no firm rule about it. It totally depends on your niche, and how much effort you'll be putting into it.
Christie from [NO DOMAIN YET]-[Gloucester] wrote:I'm at a point where I don't know if I should walk away and do something else or if putting effort into this is realistically going to provide me the income I need.
If you need that much money per month to live on, quite honestly, no website will provide that instantly. You need to put in the time, as in building content, getting your brand out there, building trust etc. I can't advise you to just quit. I wouldn't build my business any other way, and the great thing is, if you decide to change course and aim a little bit to the left, or alter your focus, you can do that. Working for someone else who makes all those decisions? That's not for me :D
#1366250 by Scott from Clarence
Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:20 pm
Christie,

You can make $1,000 a month. But, you need to be aware of this...

Take Jackie's advice. Also, if you need to make it right away (within a couple months or even w/in the next year and no longer... no matter what... you better not gamble on that.

I haven't made a dime yet. I haven't monetized yet but am just about ready... I've been here 8 months.

But, like Jackie said, every situation is different. I know there's SBI'ers who register their Domain Name and are making a few hundred within a few months. But, maybe they already built a couple of other sites, maybe they are real computer whizzes or maybe they hit a good Niche. Maybe a mixture of these.

If you want to work for someone else (no.. thank-you) or start your own other business you'll need a lot of up front $ for expenses. Plus headaches, etc.

Business expenses are minimal w/SBI....

I hope this helps... good luck. Scott & Nimble.
#1366252 by Douglas from Planet Earth
Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:36 pm
Hi Christie,

You said;

I'm at a point where I don't know if I should walk away and do something else or if putting effort into this is realistically going to provide me the income I need.

I'm not a gambler unless I know that I have about a 99% chance of winning. You say you need to make £1000 a month. You want this to happen quickly. Could it happen? Yes. Will it happen? Almost certainly not. Building a website, monetizing it, maintaining it, etc. takes effort and time.

The best way to go about this in my humble opinion is to either keep a job you have now or find a job that gives you the income to live on and then start building in your spare time. I'm going on 70, still have full time employment and started my site in 2009. If I got laid off or quit tomorrow, I would thank Dr. Ken and SBI! that I was given this opportunity.

Do most SBI!'ers make £1000 or more a month? I have no proof, but I would say with 99% certainty, no. That doesn't mean you can't. I look at it this way. If you have a chance to achieve your goal, this is the place to be. It increases your odds of winning. :D

Cheers,

Doug C.
#1366301 by Cath, SiteSell Content Team
Tue Mar 07, 2017 1:02 pm
Hi, Christie, and a belated welcome to SBI!,

There's some great advice here, and I'm not going to repeat it. I'm just going to say these things:

1. I do make that kind of money. But I have two sites, I have worked really hard on them both, and I have been with SBI! for several years. This is not a "get rich quick" scheme. It takes time and it takes effort.

2. I made sure that I followed the Action Guide to the letter in the first 1-5 DAYs, so I have niches which I knew, with as much certainty as possible, would work and offer different monetising possibilities. The Action Guide is long and detailed and it takes time and patience to go through it.

3. I have developed different ways of monetising and again, it's the AG which helped me do that. If you're prepared to use not just passive ways of monetising but to be active with your own products, it can be done. The AG and other articles in Site Central will all help with that.

4. There were times when I got so dispirited that I nearly gave up (and people in the forums saved me from myself!). You just have to keep plugging through those times. If you're prepared to do that and invest time in it, then you have as much chance as anyone else of creating a successful business. Will it make you $1,000 a month? As Jacki says, impossible to guarantee, and if you look at companies which promise that kind of thing as a matter of certainty I can tell you now, they're not being honest.

5. I would never have learned what I have, and made the friends I have, without SBI! Some of my best friends are people I've met here on the forums and at local and national meet-ups. That's not hard cash, but for me it's an important "life" factor. It's part of what I think SBI! does best - it offers much more than just a website builder. It provides brilliant tools and it provides a network of people always ready to wade in and help. It helps create a business whilst surrounded by support, and that's priceless.

So tell me: what's holding you back? I accept the issue of dyslexia - my nephew is chronically dyslexic so I do have a level of understanding about it. Is there something else?

Should you walk away and try something different? that's entirely for you to decide, of course. But what I would say is that until you start working your way through the AG you won't know for sure whether or not it's something you can work with. Lurking in the forums is always a good thing (I do it whenever I can! :lol: ) but it's starting work with the AG that matters.

Everyone here will do their utmost to help. But at the end of the day, you have got to want to do it, and you've got to be prepared to work at it.

I hope you'll decide to go for it! :D

Cath.
PS Are you in Gloucester, UK? Because there's a London group which meets and the next meeting is this month. If you are let me know and I'll link you into their forum posts.
#1366314 by Douglas from Planet Earth
Tue Mar 07, 2017 4:55 pm
Hi,

I'm just being picky here but everyone keeps saying $1000.00 when in fact Christie said £1000. As of this morning that would be $1220 US Dollars or $1640 Can Dollars. It's also about 70,800 Russian Rubles.

I know, picky, picky. :roll:

Cheers,

Doug C.
#1366356 by Jacki from Macleod
Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:21 pm
Douglas from Planet Earth wrote:everyone keeps saying $1000.00 when in fact Christie said £1000.
Maybe that's because we don't have the British pound sign on our computer keyboards, but good point, Doug. Glad you're paying attention... :wink:
#1366365 by David from California
Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:47 pm
All good advice!

I would add this from my experience - to make that kind of money you will need to have something to sell to your visitors.

So before you commit yourself have firmly in mind that you will be selling something; an ebook, a physical product, a service, etc. A decent income from Adsense is not realistic anymore except in very rare cases.
#1366371 by Douglas from Planet Earth
Wed Mar 08, 2017 1:10 am
Hi Again,

David said;

to make that kind of money you will need to have something to sell to your visitors.

Although that is the most modern view, I am here to tell you this is not absolutely true. I have made an average of over £1000 a month and never sold any thing except my soul. Actually I did it with Google AdSense and affiliates.

Jackie: No pound sign on keyboard? I discovered a neat way to copy and paste though. :lol:

Cheers,

Doug C.
#1366413 by David from California
Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:43 pm
Douglas from Planet Earth wrote:Hi Again,

David said;

to make that kind of money you will need to have something to sell to your visitors.

Although that is the most modern view, I am here to tell you this is not absolutely true. I have made an average of over £1000 a month and never sold any thing except my soul. Actually I did it with Google AdSense and affiliates.

Doug C.

You're absolutely right, Doug. Before I edited my post, I had written "for most sites to make that kind of money..." but when I edited my post I must have deleted that part.

There definitely are SBIers making quite respectable money just using Adsense. However, it is much harder now than it used to be :)
#1366419 by Cath, SiteSell Content Team
Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:42 pm
David from California wrote:I would add this from my experience - to make that kind of money you will need to have something to sell to your visitors.

...A decent income from Adsense is not realistic anymore except in very rare cases.

The first part of this, as Doug says, is not necessarily true although it definitely does help. The second part (re Adsense) is more true, although I do know of a couple of SBIers who have massive traffic and therefore do very well with Adsense even now.

Most of my income at present is from affiliate tours (my Italian site) and Amazon affiliate products / CPM (chickens site). I think the lesson though is about not putting all your eggs in one basket. If Amazon suddenly pulled the plug on me, as they did on some US states, I'd be sunk. Hence I intend to start selling a course I currently give away for free. It currently has over 1,000 signups. Just think, even if I'd charged $1 a time...

As for the $1,000 or £1,000 - well spotted, Doug! I can claim either or both. It's true I tend to think in $s for my earnings, as that's how Amazon US pays me. I do get some cash from Amazon UK but it seems UK people are far more stingy in their buying habits than Americans.

By the way, I use a US-bought MacBook Pro and if you hold down 'shift' and press the '3' button on that, there's the £ sign. :D

Cath.
#1366488 by Mary from Mico
Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:31 am
What a wonderful thread full of encouragement and good advice!

I'm here to encourage you to use the Action Guide well. If you need #1000 (My Shift 3 :D) soon/now, do keep your current position or gain one while working through the Action Guide. The better you prepare according to the AG, the less work and more success you'll have in the long run.

You've got a great opportunity here. I'm looking forward to seeing what you do.

Mary