SBI!ers, like life itself, are very much a case of "slow-steady-sure wins the race." Too many solopreneurs think that the prize goes to the "Get Rich Quick" ("GRQ") hare. Do YOU know a single person who actually GOT Rich Quick? No, while the hare flits from one "biz-opp" to another, the steady, persistent tortoise RULES. Have a success to share, a failure you need help with? Share it, and solve it here!

Moderator: Antoinette from Bedford

#1368429 by ken-admin
Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:45 pm
Phew!

There are mornings when I wake up and think, like Danny Glover exclaimed so comically in Lethal Weapon, that...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHhgllqSKro (sorry about the 4-letter word, the context made it key to get the chuckle ;-) )

Then I remember that the upside of waking up is pretty darn good... "Hey at least you woke up!"😂😂😂

OK, so I'm not really THAT old. But it does help to see the forest for the trees, right? I've got my health and I love what I'm doing.

The last few days, though, I discovered something rather ugly. I've been bogged down in it since then. More on that later - suffice it to say that I needed to read what comes next...

Out of the blue, someone sends me this Hollywood-movie type story - the SBIer story of Tony and Boo, from Zimbabwe...

https://www.facebook.com/solobuildit/ph ... =3&theater

This is "I had a farm in Africa" drama - straight Out of Africa. And yes, I have another one of my favorite movie tidbits for you, one of the most famous opening lines ever (I hope you're a film buff!)...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtX9iNlopbk

OK, intro is over. :-) Please see Tony and Boo's story on our Solo Build It! Facebook page...

What a powerful example of all that we believe in and stand for. I'll be flying for the rest of the month - it was just the boost that the doctor ordered!

Thanks very much to SBIers Boo and Tony for sharing this. I can't begin to know the depths of what you've gone through, but I certainly admire the BAM💥 it took to get back to living the lives you wanted!

And this time, no one can take "the farm" from you! 💪

Warm regards,
Ken

P.S. As I alluded to, I was particuarly open to seeing this story in a second light. Steve Jobs spoke about connecting the dots in his legendary Stanford commencement speech...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8kHDJKdJXM

Tony & Boo's inspirational dot connects as a solution to a "bad dot," a topic that I'll be posting about soon. Part of that is about the dark side of affiliate marketing.

I first wrote about that dark side around 15 years ago, as a potential danger. Those were young and (mostly) innocent days. Sadly, it's not just a "potential" issue anymore. One of my duties at SiteSell is to spot evolving seismic changes, call them out for you, and help you address them.

I'll be posting more on the topic, with examples from various niches and including guidelines that will help establish you as "the real deal" - it's an important one for anyone using affiliate marketing to monetize, no matter what your niche may be.

Also, we're going to be needing some help, too, from SBIers to create lots of real-life personal dots to counteract this dark side and make sure that future Tony and Boo's don't miss their big chance. Stand by, folks - its going to be interesting!

P.P.S. Almost forgot. About that post...

If it moved you, too, please like and share as wonderful example of what solopreneurship means - the freedom to live life on your terms. Period. 🎤⤵️
#1368453 by Nancy from Haskins
Wed Apr 05, 2017 7:46 am
Ken, their story lifted my spirits too. I hope that the cloud over affiliate marketing isn't too dark. But after the changes that Amazon has made in the past month I wouldn't be surprised to see category 5 hurricane warnings from you.
#1368526 by Andrew from Napier
Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:43 am
Loved the story and it definitely resonated with me and I wish Boo and Tony all the best.

I love the fact that SBI! gives you a business that you can pack up and take with you. Personally, with the rise of populism and nationalism in many African countries, I'd be reluctant to open any business there that you couldn't pack up and take with you.

I also feel that although a country is not its government that saying about a country often getting the government it deserves is very true. The "wonderful people" of Zimbabwe have voted on ten occasions for the man who has reduced the country, once known as the bread basket of Africa, to utter poverty.

Personally, if my country treated me and my family like Boo and Tony, I would never set foot in the place again.

Andrew
#1368625 by ken-admin
Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:44 pm
Interesting post, Andrew.

And yes, Tony and Boo are perhaps the ultimate example of the benefits of solopreneurship...

I love the fact that SBI! gives you a business that you can pack up and take with you.

Totally agree. Successful solopreneurship is liberating in so many ways.

--

I can't really agree with this, although I don't really want to get into politics...

I also feel that although a country is not its government that saying about a country often getting the government it deserves is very true. The "wonderful people" of Zimbabwe have voted on ten occasions for the man who has reduced the country, once known as the bread basket of Africa, to utter poverty.

Not a good country to use as an example of that, Andrew...

There hasn't been a "free and fair" election there for 30 years or more, so I don't think it's fair to say that "the people got what they deserved." Even his first election in 1980 was marred by violence and intimidation - he likely would have won that one without the intimidation...

But it's fair to say that, even at the first election, there was no overwhelming sentiment by the people that this was "the revolutionary who was going to make everything right."

The people caught onto him and his cronies pretty quickly. But Mugabe has always stayed 2 steps ahead, getting himself name as "Executive President," with all kinds of powers making it harder for an opposition party (always persecuted, and sometimes assassinated) to win the next one.

As is often the case, the new "freedom" party turned out to become a worse dictator than the overthrown one (South Africa being a remarkable exception, where it turns out that Mandela truly believed in the need for welcoming whites into politics and every other aspect of South African life - and he acted in a manner consistent with that belief).

Mugabe had uttered similar sentiments when first brought into power - turned out to be lies and the exodus was on. By 1990, land redistribution and government-sanctioned violence were well underway.

And as for this...

Personally, if my country treated me and my family like Boo and Tony, I would never set foot in the place again.

We had a wonderful thread on this a while back...

Ever Considered Living Abroad?
https://forums.sitesell.com/viewtopic.php?p=1363928#p1363928

I thought Carl came up the wisest final word...
https://forums.sitesell.com/viewtopic.php?p=1366603#p1366603

It boiled down to...

"Home is where you are happiest."

A ton of factors, emotional and otherwise, factor into that choice. I can feel the passion that Tony and Boo have for where they returned to live.

Each of us can only judge our own personal choice when it comes to choosing where we live. For example, some of our friends could not understand why we'd leave Canada. Many had questions that indicated just how deeply foreign that move was to them ("how did you adjust" was one question that seemed so incredibly obvious that our only answer was "adjust to what?").

To return to your original statement, though, it's always good to know that you can change your mind in a second, put your laptop in your briefcase and move the entire business with you in a single jet flight.

That's freedom. :-)

All the best,
Ken
#1368629 by Paul from Mollymook Beach, NSW
Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:16 pm
Ken wrote:
it's always good to know that you can change your mind in a second, put your laptop in your briefcase and move the entire business with you in a single jet flight.

Our friends are constantly amazed at our ability to relocate and base ourselves elsewhere. We call it slow touring... Still working the whole time although, in this SBI! universe, it doesn't feel like work :) !
Paul
#1368632 by Marianne from Mclaren Flat
Sat Apr 08, 2017 12:59 am
Congratulations to Tony and Boo who took their lives in a different direction, used their BAM and everything SBI supplies and looked ahead to what their new life could be.
#1368641 by Andrew from Napier
Sat Apr 08, 2017 9:19 am
I enjoyed reading your post Ken; a well considered and thought out reply as always :-)

I guess Zimbabwe is a really close to home topic for me at this point in my life as I am currently helping a school teacher who fled there with only a few dollars in his pocket after Mugabe's "redistribution" program got going. He is now at retirement age with no pension, no health care and little savings. SBI! will perhaps be one option for him - not sure yet.

Anyway, the weird thing about Southern Africa (not so much East or West Africa) is that there are still a lot of people who would NEVER vote against the liberation movements that freed them from colonialism- no matter what. It is the same in Namibia, Angola, South Africa, Botswana and Mozambique. I've spoken to many Shona speaking Zimbabweans who've fled the poverty of Zimbabwe and yet tell me they'd still vote for the "father" of the nation.

The same in South Africa where the current leader is much like Mugabe (though restricted by the constitution) and yet there are many from the Zulu ethnic group who would vote for him no matter what, simply because he is the leader of the party of liberation and because he is a Zulu (Mandela was a Xhosa and struggled to win support in the Zulu heartland).

Something similar happens in other parts of the world where people still support Maduro and Castro simply because they are seen as liberators.

Personally, after having lived for so much of my adult life in Italy, I tend to appreciate the Italian view which basically boils down to not liking or trusting any politician.

As you say Ken there is no good reason to go into politics on the forums but the politics of many countries in the world today does provide a very good reason to go into SBI!.

Andrew
#1368644 by Antoinette from Bedford
Sat Apr 08, 2017 10:40 am
Andrew, sadly I must agree with your post.

The same in South Africa where the current leader is much like Mugabe (though restricted by the constitution) and yet there are many from the Zulu ethnic group who would vote for him no matter what, simply because he is the leader of the party of liberation and because he is a Zulu (Mandela was a Xhosa and struggled to win support in the Zulu heartland).

In his speeches Zuma keeps telling the voters that to vote against the ANC (his party) is to betray the ancestors - whilst blantantly pillaging the state coffers. Oh for a Mandela!!

I too have my Business in a Bag. But this is our beloved country and we have no desire to live elsewhere.

Boo and Tony - I wish you tons of success back "home"!

All the best,
Antoinette
#1369017 by ken-admin
Fri Apr 14, 2017 3:15 pm
I'll skip the political stuff, because if I start, it'll be a ramble. Anyway, it's not Sunday. ;-)

But I did want to say one thing about this line from Andrew...

There is no good reason to go into politics on the forums, but the politics of many countries in the world today does provide a very good reason to go into SBI!.

That's a bingo!🌟

All the best,
Ken