Brainstorm It! is the only niche-finding and keyword researching tool that you will ever need. Its two major parts, Brainstormer and Master Keyword List, combine to deliver unparalleled information and insights into your website content and structure. Share your best tips, ideas and strategies here.

Moderator: Mary from Mico

Solo Build It! Holiday Special - Save 33%
#1374283 by Gary from Cape Dorset
Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:09 pm
Hello:

I am a new SBI member and having a hard time with Brainstorm It. I don't want to use the seed word generator because I already have 3 specific niche concepts I want to explore. They are all based on either 3 or 4 word niche concepts. Not this one but something like "Guitar lessons made easy". Can I skip the seed generator step and go right to Vertical Brainstorming on a site concept with the 3 multi-word niches (i.e. seed words) I want to explore? The Action Guide uses all 1 word seed words and derived from seed generator so not sure if I am using the process and tool properly?

Thanks

Gary
#1374294 by Help Elf from SiteSell
Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:00 am
Hi Gary.

I recommend that you start a little broader. Using your example, use the Site Concept Finder to query "guitar lessons." I'm sure you'll see "guitar lessons made easy" in that list. Something as narrow as "guitar lessons made easy" isn't likely to have any other (or at least very few) keywords that contain that plus one or more other words. Unless it's a location, like "guitar lessons made easy NYC" (or LA, Chicago, London, etc.).

If you go broader, you'll like find keywords that have a similar meaning as "guitar lessons made easy." You can combine those keywords to build a site around.
#1374401 by Gary from Cape Dorset
Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:56 pm
Thanks Elf.

I have a follow up question. For the 3 seed words entered for Site Concept Vertical Brainstorming, should these be 3 site words related to same topic in order to figure out best approach to the niche? My 3 keywords are unrelated and was planning on seeing which had more promise as a niche. Thanks Gary
#1374405 by Gerhild from Just like Oma
Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:13 am

Welcome, Gary, from Burlington! I'm just a stone's throw away, enjoying a wonderful thunderstorm right now. (oops ... if you mean Burlington, Ontario, that is!)

I think you answered your own question:

... was planning on seeing which had more promise as a niche.

If you're checking out which niche you'll be choosing for your business, then the seed words would be unrelated, because you're wanting to know which niche would be best.

Once you know which niche you'll be doing, then as you work through the Action Guide, you'll learn how to figure out the best approach to that niche.

I wish you much success in your online business!
Gerhild
#1374406 by Mary from Mico
Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:15 am

Hi Gary,

I think you can use it either way, but especially the way you said here:

My 3 keywords are unrelated and was planning on seeing which had more promise as a niche.

Once you see this you can perhaps use it further to discern further differences.

'Just an idea.

Mary
#1374408 by Gary from Cape Dorset
Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:37 am
Thank you Gerhild and Mary for the quick responses. And Yes Gerhild, I am from Burlington, Ontario. Thunderstorm hasn't started here yet but its coming..lol.

I am still having a hard time understanding the Brainstorm It logic. I thought it was best to start with a targeted niche but based on comment from Elf above, it sounds like I should start with a broader site concept for the Vertical Brainstorming to find appropriate keywords even though the site concept is broader than what I plan to target. I am pretty logical and analytical (Engineer) but the Brainstorming information and process is making my head hurt :) Gary
#1374413 by Gerhild from Just like Oma
Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:22 am

Yes, Gary, go with the broader concept first, just as Help Elf said.

See what the numbers are. Then you can decide about going narrower, if needed. It's important not to become 'number-bound' though, but those numbers can help in determining how broad or narrow to go.

If I may suggest, you said:

Can I skip the seed generator step

... don't skip anything in the Action Guide, unless you really, really know what you're doing. Check first, just like you did, by coming here to the forums, ... if you think that something may be unnecessary for you. Especially in the beginning, when some things (or many things) don't make sense, each step is important.

How do I know? Because I skipped some stuff in the beginning as well ... and it took me quite some time to correct my 'skipped steps' :?

Gerhild
#1374415 by Mary from Mico
Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:34 am
Hi Gary,

Gerhild has great notes. I'd sure not skip a step in the Action Guide either. It's meant to be a step by step guide.

Here's a suggestion that may help the brain-pain: Watch the whole AG and perhaps take notes. Then bring up two windows so as to "Do the AG". That helped me see where I would be going better.

'Just an idea.

Mary
#1374421 by Gary from Cape Dorset
Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:27 am
I don't want to skip any required steps. Maybe I am looking at the seed generator incorrectly? I already have 3 site concepts selected based on personal interest so I thought I did not need to run the seed generator to generate ideas since I already have 3 of my own. I thought I should just just run my 3 site concepts directly into the Vertical Brainstormer to generate the MKLs? Are you suggesting I should somehow run my 3 site concept ideas through the seed generator first? Thanks, Gary