Brainstorm It! is the only niche-finding and keyword researching tool that you will ever need. Its two major parts, Brainstormer and Master Keyword List, combine to deliver unparalleled information and insights into your website content and structure. Share your best tips, ideas and strategies here.

Moderator: Mary from Mico

#1381035 by Steven from Hornsby
Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:44 pm
At the end of day 2, we are supposed to narrow our site concept down to just one seed word. However, I have run into a problem with that now that I am on to day 3, and it is talking about building subpages and everything.

The main focus of my site will be on training in a martial art called Wing Chun Kung Fu. However, there are 3 other components that are just as important: physical fitness, good nutrition, and mental health. Being on top of these things will only help you to be better at Wing Chun. (Example: if you suffer from depression, you will never have the energy to practice.)

Therefore, I don't think it would be a good idea for me to keep JUST Wing Chun as a seed word, even though that yielded some good supply/demand results for me. Anyway, I am a bit stumped at this point, and I don't want to continue on with building my site until I am sure I am proceeding in the right manner.

Anyone got any tips?
#1381040 by margarita from USA
Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:50 am
Hi I personally think "wing chun" will be great to use as a seed word ! Especially because your numbers are great according to your research. I use the seed word "hair loss" even though my niche is "female hair loss" I simply search for female hair loss related keywords I can use for my site and stay away from the male hair loss key words. Just pick and choose what works best for your site after using the seed word wing chun. Hope this helps you best of luck!
#1381056 by Steven from Hornsby
Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:24 am
Thank you for that reply, and I do agree Wing Chun is perfect as my main seed word. However, what I am asking is if I should retain more than one seed word, since my site will also deal with exercise, nutrition, and mental health. The Day 3 Action Guide inspired me to ask this because I just got to the part where it talks about your 3-tier site blueprint.
#1381062 by Adrian from
Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:55 pm
Hi Steven;

Absolutely you should have more than one seed word

The tricky part is tying them all together. Thats one area that you need to use you own experience to decide which terms are most relevant to a site about Wing Chun Kung Fu

Wing Chun has a great connection to Bruce Lee and Yip Man, so a history page or even history tier 2 might be a possibility if the demand/supply supports it.

Fitness itself might be too general, but there may be exercises in Wing Chun that might yield interesting pages. Qijong exercises might be worth checking out for example. The nutrition aspect might be tackled by interviewing Wing Chun masters about what they eat and why. Similarly, the health aspects of chinese medicine could be brought in. But it all should be framed with respect to your own experience with it.

Individual techniques in Wing Chung might also be worthy of searches such as "one inch punch" as a keyword. Wing Chung dummy might also lead to keywords related to martial arts exercise equipment.

The advantage of pulling out many seed words is that it can help you to build up a more rounded, informative and authoratative website. The problem is you can get overwhelmed and quickly fill up your BrainstormIt with 5000 keywords.

I like to download the keywords into a spreadsheet and add a column for category so I can group the keywords together in logical pages. If you look at the keywords in any vertical BI search, its obvious that many keywords belong together.

When you have a search containing many seed words, you can also find different keywords that all belong on one page.

Try to work with a total list of no more than 200 of the best keywords to begin with. More than that is just to o time consuming and overwhelming for a website just getting started.
#1381082 by Steven from Hornsby
Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:04 pm

Thanks for the reply.

When I first did my search, I used fitness and came up with a great alternative: "fitness tips." I also got some other good seed word alternatives for "nutrition."

I was just confused because at the end of day 2, when you go through the niche concept generator and you find your "best" site concept, it says, "Now eliminate the other seed words." However, I consider Wing Chun training, exercise, nutrition, and mental health to be inseparable. My site (and my life) will be geared toward those who want to get better at Wing Chun, but who also want to be in better shape and eat better. Or maybe the people who visit won't care about Wing Chun, but they DO want to be fit, and they can find me in relation to that.

However you cut it, that is what my site was designed for. In fact, I started making a site blueprint of my own before I signed up for SBI. :-)
#1381101 by Mary from Mico
Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:08 am

Hi Steven,

Yes, these should go with your site:

training, exercise, nutrition, and mental health

Yet in a Wing Chun way or from a WC perspective. Are there WC words/vocabulary to match these sub terms?

Otherwise, these other terms are too broad if you are focusing your site on WC.

'Just an idea.

#1381111 by Steven from Hornsby
Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:50 am

Yes, I will be working on narrower terms. I actually did a search and found some winnable keywords for all of them, but I didn't happen to have the list on me when I posted in this thread. I seem to remember the term "fitness tips" being winnable, and I think possibly "health and nutrition."

Thanks for the advice!

#1381142 by Adrian from
Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:20 pm
Hi Steven;

When the action guide talks about deleting the keywords for the niches you have decided not to pursue its purely to prevent you and your master keyword from being overloaded with keywords.

There is nothing wrong at all with keeping some of the the keywords based on your own life experience.

It simply means you realize what the search intent of those keywords, and that you know they are related.

All martial arts are promoted as being paths to fitness, it makes sense to use keywords related to fitness.

What the action guide is getting you to do is whittle down a list of 100-200 actionable keywords that you can build a website around. So you can get the first twenty pages done. If you keep three niches with 1000 keywords each, its just overwhelming.

So pick the best keywords from each that relate to Wing Chun. If they talk about pickles or pushups it doesnt matter. So long as you understand the connection and can build an engaging story relating them together. Odds are your readers will get the connection too.