Brainstorm It! is the only niche-finding and keyword researching tool that you will ever need. Its two major parts, Brainstormer and Master Keyword List, combine to deliver unparalleled information and insights into your website content and structure. Share your best tips, ideas and strategies here.

Moderator: Mary from Mico

#1385798 by Sue from Frankston
Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:10 pm
Evening all,

I've been wondering this for a while and keep forgetting to ask: is it possible to filter the search results by location?

I'm based in the UK, and would like results that are relevant locally. Usually, the searches return lots of keywords that are local to US states and cities. Is there a way to search just for terms searched for in the UK?

Many thanks.
#1385862 by Sue from Frankston
Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:38 pm
Thanks for picking this up, Debs!

If I run a vertical search for employment solicitors, for example, I get employment solicitors california, - texas, -nyc etc. I do get employment solicitors UK, but as I've always understood it, this is a completely different keyword from "employment solicitors".

What I'd really like is to be able to say: search for "employment solicitors" and only show me search results, ie. demand and supply, from the UK. Otherwise, I could be looking at a keyword, think it's great, but all the search volume comes from abroad, where I don't do business.

I'm thinking anyone with a local business must have that issue?
My England site is international, so I've never actually dug into this...

Many thanks
#1385871 by Sue from Frankston
Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:16 pm
Hi Debs,

that's certainly true for that keyword, but personally, I would not type "garage services UK" if I wanted to find a local car repair shop. I'd just type the keyword and let Google offer me local results.

It gets dicey, I think, when I'm basing my decisions on which pages to build for a local business on a data set that's global. So I'm back to wondering how I could tell how much of the demand / supply is originating in the UK.

BTW, I'm loving this...picking over things I thought I knew... :-)

#1385969 by Mary from Mico
Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:18 pm

Hi Sue,

What you said is what I do:

I'd just type the keyword and let Google offer me local results.

Maybe you could look at the global keywords as indicators of which keywords to use on your local site and let the address in the content of your pages do the local work for the search engines?

Also, you'll have times where the vocabulary is a bit different. Where the UK says lorry, most in the USA would say truck. (I think.) I would think that those sorts of words' presence on your site will be cues to the SEs and to visitors. I know I've read somewhere here to be sure to use the vocabulary of your intended audience.

'Just an idea.