Brainstorm It! is the only niche-finding and keyword researching tool that you will ever need. Its two major parts, Brainstormer and Master Keyword List, combine to deliver unparalleled information and insights into your website content and structure. Share your best tips, ideas and strategies here.

Moderator: Mary from Mico

#1391294 by Carrie from Goreville
Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:17 pm
I have a very broad (read wildly diverse) list of possible topics to write about. I'm trying to narrow things down and find my direction. I get very confused with all the lists that link to other lists, etc in SBI. I'm supposed to use the Brainstorm option of Search It! to "try out" my topics. But it appears that SEMRUSH is the only tool in that category that lists data about how each keyword performs. Seeing the Amazon listings on my topic might help later when I'm writing about the topic, but it doesn't help me know which topic is high in demand and low in supply. Is there a tool other than SEMRUSH that shows data on supply and demand? I didn't know I would have to purchase a $99 program in addition to SBI.
#1391295 by Jacki from Macleod
Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:58 pm
I use Semrush now, but I didn't when I started. I never purchased anything though, just used their free stuff - although now I see that they want you to sign in to even see the simplest things. I would just stick with Brainstorm It! for now. :D
#1391297 by Maria from Agness
Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:08 pm
Hi Carrie,

SBI have their own Brainstorm it! tool too help you narrow your niche.
You will get some free credits, I can't remember how many you get now but there should be plenty to help you determine your niche. I purchased 500 extra credits for $50 years ago and still have loads left but it shouldn't be necessary to buy more right away. The brainstorm it tool use data from wordtracker, their annual subscription costs more than all of SBI so I didn't mind paying for the extra credits.
The Brainstorm It! tool gives you lots of info not just supply and demand numbers. You can find an intro and link to the tool as well as step by step instructions on how to use it in Day 2 of the Action Guide, starting from Step 3.
You only need to use search it! if you are looking for inspiration or ideas for a niche.

I hope that helps

I see Jacki and I cross posted, I've used the free SEMRUSH tools too but prefer Brainstorm it! :D
#1391299 by Mary from Mico
Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:26 pm
Hi Carrie.

Are you using the Action Guide to study how to use SBI tools? An idea is to "watch" the Action Guide once through without clicking to other links and then return to "do" the Action Guide step by step. You can click to other links if you want. At the beginning they're optional.

Search it is in a column of the Master Keyword List (MKL) made by Brainstormit. The MKL shows much of what you want to know about Demand and Supply.

Brainstorm > Master Keyword List > Search It

The way I remember it, the Action Guide shows you to use BrainstormIt the way Maria posted. Your best bet is to start there and later use NicheChooseIt to decide between niches. Like Maria, I was able to set up most of my site's blueprint without spending any extra money and have only bought $50 worth once in nine years.

I've not paid to use tools at Semrush.

If you provide more details of exactly what you seek, we several of us are happy to help you further.

#1391450 by Carrie from Goreville
Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:57 am
Thank you Mary, and others! Here are some of the topics I'm considering and have tried searching in Brainstorm It!:

Country Music from the 80's and 90's
Female comedic actresses (Tina Fey, Mindy Kaling, Melissa McCarthy, etc)
Real Estate investing in multi-family properties
Anti-aging (skincare and health products)

Anti-aging skincare has good profitability but high competition. I can't really find the right niche in those other areas. I don't think I should focus on just one comedian or musician ... seems like content would be limited? There is lots of supply for real estate stuff, though I think I could provide a unique perspective as a single mom who purchased a first-time home with two units to help support myself, and now looking for more multifamilies to buy.

As I said, my ideas are all over the place! Trying to find my direction.
#1391493 by Debs from SiteSell
Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:36 pm
They are all called "actors" now; no gender specific addenda ;)

But do try female comedy lead also. You may also want to consider doing the bottom up strategy for this niche. You can read about it in Tips HQ.

Is that "new" country, or "classic" ... hmmm hard to nail down, but what was it about that era of country music you have the passion for?

I would research real estate, then search for "invest" in the results; any there you can re-brainstorm? Consider multi-family rentals; or just rentals, and do the same.

Go where the passion is, that's the best advice I can give.

#1391547 by Mary from Mico
Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:20 am
Hi Carrie,

You're right. Those are "very broad (read wildly diverse) list of possible topics to write about".

Use Debs' notes to narrow the field and NicheChooseIt to choose between your choices. Niche Choose It will be your friend.

Have you watched the whole Action Guide recently? There are many precisions and new additions that could be very helpful to you.

#1391593 by Carrie from Goreville
Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:06 pm
So, I am excited about a new site concept, but worry now that maybe it is too narrow? I originally wanted a site built around "health" or "healthy solutions" to help promote my business selling preventative nutrition for wellness. But it was so broad I despaired and moved on to other hobbies. I searched for "cancer" and came up with these terms that are very broad with unlimited page content potential, and fairly low supply. Is the niche too small though? How do these numbers look to you experienced SBIers?

cancer causes 7757 2929 2648
causes cancer 5331 2668 1998
#1391596 by Mary from Mico
Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:12 pm

I have to be very quick.

These have way too small a Supply for a Site Concept per se.

Also, they are too huge a concept in real life. Maybe you are a noted cancer expert? Maybe you have years of research behind you?

'Just wondering.

#1391604 by Carrie from Goreville
Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:17 pm
Cancer causes IS a huge concept. No, I'm not a cancer researcher, more of a healthy lifestyle enthusiast. I was planning to create pages on specific toxins, vitamin deficiencies, and products that promote cancer in the body, and also feature solutions for prevention, as well as interviews or profiles of people who took steps to change their lifestyle in the name of cancer prevention.

The seed word Cancer Prevention has higher numbers.
cancer prevention 22767 21624 1053

However I see the folly of trying to compete against medical giants like WebMD, Mayo Clinic, Harvard, and the CDC. :(
#1391618 by Mary from Mico
Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:29 am
Hi Carrie.

It's good to see these things now rather than later.

Yes, "healthy lifestyle enthusiast" is much better served by "cancer prevention"; yet, again, this market has some huge heavy weights.

Keep your ideas in mind as they may flavor a future thought. Enjoy the adventure of finding what really works for you.