What other ways can you find to monetize your traffic? Let everyone know what you think of Joint Ventures (JV), Donations, CafePress or other models you have read about or tried (not already discussed above).

Moderator: Sheri from Uneeda

#1365474 by Anirban from Mahad
Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:58 pm
Hello SBIers,

I had a pleasant surprise today that I wasn't really prepared for. My website on online Math tutoring isn't new but I hardly get time to work on it, thanks to my engagement with an already existing customer base I acquired outside of SBI! To give you an idea, my daily average unique visitors is well below 50 and there's loads of keywords in my MKL I am yet to find time to write on.

Today, I received an email (not a form submission but an email to my personal Yahoo! id) that is supposedly written by a person from a website called AcademicHelp.net, who wants me to post their website link/reference/review on my website by means of a monetary deal. Basically he wants me to "engage in paid promotion" for their website and has asked me to write back with my "requirements and rates".

Although excited to get such an offer out of nowhere, the offer makes me feel a little skeptical. Wouldn't someone check out the popularity of a website before making such an offer? Further, how did this person come to know about my personal email id and tag it as the owner of my SBI website? Finally, if this were not to be a spam but a real opportunity indeed, can anyone guide me as to how much to ask for and what terms to propose?

Cheers!
Anirban
[Domain Private]
Last edited by Debs Seeber from Palm Coast on Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total. Reason: Moved from Affiliate Programs to here.
#1365498 by Debs from SiteSell
Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:02 pm
Hi Anirban,

Placement of links for a fee is a monetization option that has been discussed in these forums, some
call it site sponsorship, site advertising, or paid link placement.

Probably not junk. No idea how they contacted you via your Yahoo ID, perhaps they got your
email from a WhoIs search?

Now, with paid ads, and to protect your site from a Penguin hit, you should "nofollow" any paid
links (any links that earn you money should be "nofollow" ). If they won't accept it; then don't
do it.

How to calculate rates? Based on traffic usually but you can set rates, put up a rate page if you like.
I've seen a few SBIers who've done that. Base it on "per page" and also have a rate for "sitewide."
Start out low; as your traffic builds, review the rates. If you get no takers, lower the rate; if you get too many increase the rates. It will be a work in progress for you for a while. Check this every 6 months to start; if your traffic gets on a snowballing increase, review it quarterly.

Keep control via editorial approval of the text and site you link to. Never link to a poor quality site, even if they want to pay you.

These are just a few tips I used when I owned Debtsteps.

Debs