What other ways can you find to monetize your traffic? Let everyone know what you think of Joint Ventures (JV), Donations, CafePress or other models you have read about or tried (not already discussed above).

Moderator: Sheri from Uneeda

#1379377 by Mandy from Austinmer
Sat Aug 19, 2017 2:01 am
Hi Guys

I am getting quite a bit of interest in Guest posts (and would only accept if in my niche and I tell them straight away) but wonder: What rules should I set? How much is the going rate? Where should I put them on my site?

Thanks all, I's wondering if I'm leaving money on the table?

Mandy :)
#1379379 by Lesley from griefandsympathy.com
Sat Aug 19, 2017 2:51 am
Hi Mandy

Greetings from Picton NSW. I see you are just down the road from me in Austinmer. I often come down to walk on the beach at Coledale.

What a great site you have. Can't believe I haven't seen it before - although I don't have kids! I am thinking of travelling round Australia in our campervan, so I shall have a look anyway.

Anyway, in answer to your question. I'm not sure about fees. When I've accepted guest posts it's usually in return for them promoting my site on their site, Facebook page etc. and I'm usually just glad to have some content I didn't have to write.

But the thing I always make sure of, and stipulate is that it has to be original content that hasn't appeared on any other website, and I always put them through copyscape to make sure.

I think it would depend on how commercial the content is, what they are promoting and your traffic levels. Maybe have a look at what others are charging for advertising and sponsored content.

I'm sure some others with travel site experience will be able to help better than me.

All the best

Lesley
#1379384 by Mandy from Austinmer
Sat Aug 19, 2017 4:13 am
Hey Lesley, Thanks for getting back to me and an Aussie too! I'm actually in WA, Scaborough, so not Austinmer (where did you see that?) and thank you for your kind words re my site.

I have been googling all this and there are lots of post around it and it was taking quite a time to dig through it all, so I thought I'd turn to our great forums. I'll certainly stipulate original content for sure.

Thanks for that and you should definitely think about travelling this gorgeous country of ours!

Cheers Mandy
#1379385 by George from Prestea
Sat Aug 19, 2017 4:26 am
Hello Mandy,

I don't have any answer to your specific questions, just a thought on terminology:

While usage may vary, at least from the Internet Marketing and blogging worlds where I live, there's a clear distinction between a "guest post" and a "sponsored post".

Guest posts are typically free, and you'd accept such posts for the value the content (or the expert) will bring to your website and audience. In some cases, you (the site owner) may even pursue a recognized industry expert to make a guest post for you.

Sponsored posts (aka paid post, pay per post, paid endorsements, etc), on the other hand, are typically paid for. The ethics police prefers you clearly and always disclose sponsored posts as such. In some countries, this may actually be required. And Google suggests (requires?) you mark any links in paid or sponsored posts with a "nofollow" link attribute (see https://support.google.com/webmasters/a ... 6356?hl=en).
#1379387 by Mandy from Austinmer
Sat Aug 19, 2017 5:06 am
Thank you George. I appreciate that and would certainly disclose the paid post. I am then speaking of sponsored posts. I will certainly add a no follow as per the guidelines.

Thanks again for taking time to clarify.- Just need to work our how much is reasonable now.

Mandy