Do you have questions about monetization that don't fit anywhere else in this section? It't a great big field, so we created this forum to give you a place to go when nothing else fits. DO check the other forums for a better fit since you'll get better answers if there is a SPECIFIC forum. If not, we'll see you back here. :-)

Moderator: Sheri from Uneeda

#1366473 by Kim from New Farm
Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:40 pm
Hi everyone

I've been approached by an agent for a travel insurance website, asking if I would be prepared to place a link and some text on one of my pages. They have offered a fee of us$85 for a year.

It's a natural fit with my website and I'm comfortable about the quality of the other website.

I know there has been a lot of talk about paid links and my understanding is that its ok to do so provided the link is no follow.

Is my understanding correct or are there any other considerations?

Regards

Dave
#1366476 by Mary from Mico
Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:40 pm
Hi Dave,

I think that if you like the site and all else looks bona fide - the main thing is to nofollow the link and open a new window (click the tiles in the link toolbar).

Since we do not know the website or company, perhaps you could post it or better ask others in NZ what they think.

I'm not sure how to research this sort of thing. I'm hoping someone can help you better, perhaps another travel site. Otherwise, perhaps you could contact Dee of CapeDays and other local travel SBIers to see what they do.

Mary
#1366507 by Dee from Cape Cod
Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:59 pm
Hi Dave -

Mary from Mico wrote:I think that if you like the site and all else looks bona fide - the main thing is to nofollow the link and open a new window (click the tiles in the link toolbar).

Mary is right about this. As you already know, if it's a paid-for link, it's important to make the link "nofollow".

You've said that you're comfortable with the quality of the travel insurance company's website. Are you also satisfied that it's a reputable company? There are lots of fly-by-night insurance "agencies" out there, and many of them have really spiffy looking websites. But when all is said and done, their products, and/or their customer service practices, and/or their claims-paying history, stink.

If the product is right for your visitors, and you've "vetted" the company as much as possible to be sure it's legit, I see no reason why you'd decline the company's request to advertise on your site.

That said, once the company learns that their link will be nofollow, don't be surprised if they no longer want to pay for it. If that's the case, then you'll know they were not really on the up-and-up. They were simply looking to tap into your "link juice". :roll::(

One last thing ... have you looked into travel insurance affiliate programs? I've recently been exploring that avenue of monetization, and it looks like a good option for my Cape Cod travel site. I'm not sure what travel insurance affiliate options you have in NZ, but it might be worth looking into. While $85/year for a paid link would be nice, you might be able to make more in a good affiliate program.

BTW: I love your site! NZ is one of the want-to-visit places on my bucket list. :wink:

Best Regards,

Dee
#1366545 by Kim from New Farm
Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:16 pm
Hi Mary and Dee

thank you both for your kind help.

Mary the article is very relevant, thanks.

Here is the page that they want me to link to:

https://www.1cover.co.nz/secret-traveller/

I've written back to them and said that I'm only willing to proceed if the link is "no follow" so we will see what happens.

Dee thanks for the suggestion about affiliate programs. I've just re-signed with World Nomads. I'd been with them years ago but never really promoted them so they dumped me back in 2012. Hopefully I will have more success with them this time around :)

regards

Dave
#1366547 by Mary from Mico
Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:33 pm
Hi Dave,

You're welcome.

Great catch on Dee's part that the nofollow might be a great litmus test!

Mary