Do you have questions about monetization that don't fit anywhere else in this section? It't a great big field, so we created this forum to give you a place to go when nothing else fits. DO check the other forums for a better fit since you'll get better answers if there is a SPECIFIC forum. If not, we'll see you back here. :-)

Moderator: Sheri from Uneeda

33% OFF The World’s Most Effective Web Business-Builder - Solo Build It!
#1168498 by Kathryn from East Corinth
Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:57 pm
I have been contacting companies in my niche, to see if they have affiliate programs. To my surprise, many have stopped the programs due to the FDA new regs. Here is one reply-

Kate,
I am sorry, we do not. Per FDA regulations we are no longer participating in any type of affiliate programming.
________________________________________________________________________________________________________

One does/will have one, this is the reply I received

Hello Kate,

Looking forward to seeing your finished review. We do have an affiliate program, however, we are in the process of streamlining and updating the program and it may not be available to participate in right away. In the interim, we do have a pay per performance campaign that may work for you. I will contact our marketing director to see if that would be a good fit for you. Once the blog post has run its course, please send me any visitor traffic data that you have and we can discuss the pay per performance option in more detail.

My question, do I sned the info they request? I am at 50 uniques a day. What is pay per perfomance? If I am understanding pay per performance, it is similiar to adsense ads? I seem to recall reading about pay per performance and it wasnt lucritive, but I my be wrong.

Can anyone direct me? One of my monetization plans is more challenging(I am up ot the challenge) due to the affiliate disclosure, I assume this is why many companies are opting out.

Thank you in advance
Kate
#1379749 by David from California
Fri Aug 25, 2017 2:00 am
HI Katie,

50 uniques a day is really not enough to make any money off affliates or other programs. (On one site I have had over 25,000 pages views in 7 days and have made about $35.00 on affiliates - adsense and Amazon)

It would be best to concentrate on building up traffic now and implementing a better monetization model as you grow.
#1379765 by Cath, SiteSell Content Team
Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:39 am

Good morning Katie,

In terms of "Pay per performance" you'd need to take a look at their policy but basically yes, it's more to do with advertising than affiliates, as I understand it.

About this...

due to the FDA new regs
and
Per FDA regulations

- do any of the companies you contacted say what "new regs" they're talking about? The FDA's disclosure issue has been around for a long time now and actually, isn't a problem for us as affiliates, as long as it's addressed directly.

I have found that with small companies, it's sometimes that it's just not worth their while to spend time and money setting up the tracking systems etc necessary for an affiliate programme, and many don't want to join large platforms like Conversant (Commission Junction as was).

At 50 uniques a day, to be honest, I would not expect to be accepted by an affiliate programme - but it's hard to say not knowing your niche or the kind of programme you're talking about. I do make good money from affiliate income, but I have around 3,000 to 4,000 uniques, and between 8,000 and 10,000 page views, per day depending on season.

That's not to say it's a bad idea to start planning early - I started waaaaaay before I had those kind of numbers.

The Action Guide says this about roughly how many uniques to have before you start monetising:
around 100 per day is a reasonable minimum

...and about content pages...
At least 25 pages of high quality content, excluding your privacy policy and "about" pages

So personally, I would thank them for their reply, say you'd be interested in seeing their affiliate programme when it's fully developed, and then concentrate on planning your monetization, of course, but leave the actual doing until a little further down the road and spend time getting those site visitor numbers built up.

Hope that's helpful.

Cath.