Do you have questions about monetization that don't fit anywhere else in this section? It't a great big field, so we created this forum to give you a place to go when nothing else fits. DO check the other forums for a better fit since you'll get better answers if there is a SPECIFIC forum. If not, we'll see you back here. :-)

Moderator: Sheri from Uneeda

33% OFF The World’s Most Effective Web Business-Builder - Solo Build It!
#1385764 by Anirban from Mahad
Mon Nov 06, 2017 4:14 pm
Hello,

Even though my site does not have a lot of pages and I do not enjoy a lot of traffic, I get the occasional advertising enquiry and I noticed something weird about these queries:

a) They all come from same domain, i.e. email ((at the domain)) bzadverts.com
b) They never contact me from the 'contact me' page on my website but send an email to my personal email id.

I would like to know if it is possible for anyone to get access to personal email ids of site owners. Or is it likely that these are spams? When I reply asking for more details (like where they might have got hold of my personal email id from, they never revert). For one of these, I had sent an email to the company the sender claimed he represented but I never got a response. When I told the sender of the email that his company did not acknowledge that they were really interested in advertising on my website he said that was because he is from a different department (marketing) from the one where I contacted them (from their website).

It feels good when someone writes "your site looks professional and trustworthy" and asks for a 3/6/9/12 month quote (which I have no idea about!) but at the same time I feel skeptical.

Any advice is much appreciated.

Thanks,
Anirban
Last edited by Debs from SiteSell on Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:16 pm, edited 2 times in total. Reason: Changed live email to non-clickable per guidelines
#1385776 by Debs from SiteSell
Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:20 pm
Hi Anirban,

Your WhoIs info (you set up when you registered your domain) is public information. That's probably where they are getting your email. You can switch to privacy mode in the domain management module. You access this module using the info in your "SBI! Email is Ready for You" email you received when you registered your domain.

I consider them spam as I didn't ask for them, but legally they may not be actual spam ... unless they contact you continuously and don't give you a way to opt out.

Quite a few are scammers however, so watch out. They imply they are from SiteSell, some are getting $$ but not giving you anything for it, etc.

Debs
#1386014 by Anirban from Mahad
Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:52 pm
Many thanks Debs, I have noted your advice. It's likely that the latest email I received was a spam as the sender did not respond to my question about the company or website they were representing.

Anirban