Do you have questions about monetization that don't fit anywhere else in this section? It't a great big field, so we created this forum to give you a place to go when nothing else fits. DO check the other forums for a better fit since you'll get better answers if there is a SPECIFIC forum. If not, we'll see you back here. :-)

Moderator: Sheri from Uneeda

#1383933 by Smart Kid from Mýkonos
Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:24 pm
Hi,

I have a few advertisers who are offering to advertising on my website for $100 a year. I was told once that Google does not like when a website gets paid by other advertisers other than with Google Adsense.
Should I accept the offers that are coming to me?

Thank you.
Victor
#1383950 by Debs from SiteSell
Mon Oct 16, 2017 4:05 pm

Hi Victor, I don't know who told you that, but what you posted:

Google does not like when a website gets paid by other advertisers other than with Google Adsense.

is not true. These are true:

Google does not like it when paid links are not set to nofollow.

Google does not like it if you troll Adsense advertisers (or them you) to place ads with one another and cutting G Adsense out of the advert.

You can certainly sell advertising, just be sure and mark it as an advertisement (per FTC requirement) and set the link to "nofollow" using the link tool in BB2 (or put rel="nofollow" within your <a href...> tag if you upload your own HTML.

All my best,

Debs
#1386764 by Smart Kid from Mýkonos
Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:57 pm
Hi,

I have an advertiser who wants to advertise on my history website and she offers a decent amount of money. However here are her conditions:
- text link must be visible only on first page of website
- text link must be do follow
- text link must be without footer and without any scripts

I know you told me that Google does not like advertisement set as do follow. However the money is very tempting. I am not sure what to do and if I am taking a great risk by having do follow advertisement on my website without any disclaimer. I am having pretty decent traffic (over 500 uniques per day) and I dont want to ruin all this hard work.

Thank you for your advice.
Victor
#1386768 by Maria from Agness
Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:50 pm
Hi Victor,

Google expects us all to follow their guidelines if you don't want to be penalized by them. They are very strict about accepting payment for links and what you should do.
Here's a post from their content guidelines - https://support.google.com/webmasters/a ... ic=4617741

And here's SBI's best practices article which has a bit about links -http://sbitips.sitesell.com/best-practices.html

It's your site and it's up to you but if they really just wanted advertising then they would follow google's guidelines and be happy for you to do the same.

Not sure if that's much help but the articles I listed may help you decide.
Maria
#1386868 by Maria from Agness
Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:46 pm
I agree with Debs, all paid links must be no follow, you also need to identify yourself as an Amazon associate if you sell Amazon products on your site. BUT you must not make any claims stating that Amazon supports or endoeses your site.
You can find the wording here https://affiliate-program.amazon.com/help/operating/agreement?ac-ms-src=ac-nav
Scroll down to
5. Identifying Yourself as an Associate
You must clearly state the following on your Site or any other location where Amazon may authorize your display or other use of Content: “We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.” Except for this disclosure, you will not make any public communication with respect to this Agreement or your participation in the Associates Program. You will not misrepresent or embellish our relationship with you (including by expressing or implying that we support, sponsor, or endorse you), or express or imply any affiliation between us and you or any other person or entity except as expressly permitted by this Agreement.

I have this on every page of my site that sells products and on my home page.
I hope that helps,
Maria
#1386925 by Smart Kid from Mýkonos
Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:12 am
Thank you. I have declined the advertisement offer and I have added the Amazon disclaimer to my history site and make all the links no follow. Will do the same with my toy site.

Thank you!!

Victor
#1387281 by Maria from Agness
Tue Nov 28, 2017 4:39 pm
Hi Rich,

Google doesn't know but they look for patterns in the links going to different siites. They know what patterns to look for if a link is a paid link. Also the site that pays you may have been reported to them for asking for do follow links.

Of course it's up to you if you want to take the chance they won't realise you were paid. But if the site in question wanted advertising a nofollow link is fine, their ad will stilll reach your audience. If they insist on a dofollow link then they don't want advertising but a vote of confidence from you which you can't get if you are paying for it.

I saw a post about this recently will see if I can find it.
Here it is,
Read Will's reply here https://forums.sitesell.com/viewtopic.php?f=84&t=224316#p1386898

I hope that makes sense,
Maria