Blog It! enables evergreen "Theme-Based Content Sites" to use RSS to distribute new pages via a technique we call "site-blogging!" This forum is for exchanging Blog It! ideas and tips. (If you are interested in full-blogging (ex., adding a full WordPress blog to your site), THE way to go is through Infin It!. See that forum.)

Moderator: Antoinette from Bedford

#1365302 by Bill from Talos IV
Sun Feb 19, 2017 4:21 pm
I just found that the thumbnail images displayed on my blog page are missing both the Alt and Title tags. The original images on the pages they're taken from DO have both of the tags. Can this problem be fixed?
#1365347 by David from Oxfordshire
Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:54 am
Hi Bill,

You may get away with bringing this up with SiteSell Support, but my feeling is that this is one for the Wish List.

Regards,
#1366914 by ken-admin
Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:05 am
I happened to spot this, so just a quickie note...

The Blog It! page is not an evergreen content page. Google sees it as your most frequently changing page. It has an RSS feed. It is, in Google's eyes, a blog, so of lower SEO consideration. Major benefits of the page that we originally intended to bake into the site were (and are - this page worked out really nicely)...

1) RSS distribution to Google, blog signals, and "hooks" for feed readers and content aggregators. While RSS subscriptions by visitors have a low uptake for most niches, it's still useful to let folks follow you however they prefer. An unexpected benefit is that it has proven to be of value to loads of apps (which use RSS invisibly, eliminating the "techie" perception barrier).

2) The major SEO value is getting found for your <Site Concept Keyword + "blog"" (ex., Anguilla blog), or similar type words + "blog." It wasn't intended to be "found" for much else (although they do get found for a variety of ever-changing - depending on which pages are featured - long tail searches that don't add up to much).

3) A valuable TIER 2 where "humans" go to see what's new, linking on to those pages. The "blog it" page is generally in the top 3 or 4 visited of most pages, meaning that this "hybird-blog" page has worked out quite well as a user-friendly navigational page to your freshest content.

The different nature of this page, plus the fact that thumbnails don't rank at Google Image Search (with rare exeption - I never say "never" ;-) ), makes tagging THESE images of near-zero significance.

And that's all the more true since on-page keyword usage is gradually less and less important. You really only need to use a keyword on a page enough to "give Google a hint." Increasingly, Google will be able to rank your page for "Anguilla Chinese restaurant" (in the Top 10). even if you don't use any one of those 3 words.

That trend started with synonyms, progressed to associated words, use of those words in or near inbound links and other off-site signals. AI ("RankBrain") will take it the rest of the way.

-----SIDEBAR-----
That said, if you want to be found for "Anguilla Chinese restaurant," it's still
a plus to have that phrase or the 3 words (ex., "Anguilla's Best Chinese Restaurant") in the title, meta desc, and
in a few other places optimally). In fact, the more long tail a term is, the more
important that it be on the page. But I digress...
-----SIDEBAR-----

Use the image tags for a nice image on a full, evergreen content page (value is small and getting smaller, while the value of its appearance on a quality-content page, both written and image-wise, are increasing).

Bottom line? Don't worry about tagging 1) thumbnails on the 2) Blog It! page. One day, doing that might even have a negative value ("over-SEOing"). No, just kidding, but the value is pretty darn close to nada. :-)

Hope that helps?

All the best,
Ken

P.S. Good eyes, Bill!!
#1366930 by Jacki from Macleod
Thu Mar 16, 2017 3:36 am
The other issue with the Blog It images is that they don't show on an RSS feed on another platform, because they use a proprietary url. So instead of showing a picture, it will just show a placeholder. If you make a wish for more functionality in the Blog It images, I'll vote for it :D
#1366971 by Clayton from Coe Hill
Thu Mar 16, 2017 4:06 pm
Jacki from Macleod wrote:The other issue with the Blog It images is that they don't show on an RSS feed on another platform, because they use a proprietary url. So instead of showing a picture, it will just show a placeholder. If you make a wish for more functionality in the Blog It images, I'll vote for it :D

Hi Jackie, can you contact support with an example of this please (or here, I'll be watching for replies)?

Which RSS feed platform and a specific rss feed (I'll assume it's [Domain Private] otherwise)

Thank you!
#1367004 by Jacki from Macleod
Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:38 pm
Clayton wrote:Hi Jackie, can you contact support with an example of this please (or here, I'll be watching for replies)?

Which RSS feed platform and a specific rss feed (I'll assume it's [Domain Private] otherwise)
Yes, you bet, Clayton. :D
#1367052 by Timothy from Glen Hope
Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:17 pm
Hi all, Jacki clued me into this thread. So, I did some research and made some screenshots. They are from a blog feed reader that is popular in mobile apps. The first one is from Jacki's Rss/BlogIt feed (.xml file). The second is from another different feed. They both use the same reader. But the second one is NOT made by SBI.
ImageImage

I looked at the .xml files for both and discovered the SBI .xml file doesn't even include source code for the thumbnail. While the second one DOES include the full image url in the source code.

I also discovered this can be fixed by including the full url for the image in a Bloglet. However it would be nice that SBI Rss/BlogIt at least included the thumbnail in its .xml file. Even if it doesn't get found by the search engines it would greatly improve the user experience on a mobile device.

Tim
#1367054 by Clayton from Coe Hill
Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:57 pm
Timothy from Glen Hope wrote:Hi all, Jacki clued me into this thread. So, I did some research and made some screenshots. They are from a blog feed reader that is popular in mobile apps. The first one is from Jacki's Rss/BlogIt feed (.xml file). The second is from another different feed. They both use the same reader. But the second one is NOT made by SBI.
Tim

Hi Tim,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback. The thumbnails would be a nice addition to the RSS are not present in the RSS so please add it to the wishlist and get votes!

Thank you,
Clayton

PS Would you mind letting me know which mobile app you are using for reading the RSS? We'll use it for testing.