Planning Your Monetization Mix is covered in Day 4 of the Action Guide. It is a critical GO-STOP step in the C Image T Image P Image M process. Get feedback on your chosen Monetization Mix for your new business; or get tips on which monetization options work best for your niche.

Moderator: Sheri from Uneeda

#1364610 by Moorea S. from USA
Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:18 pm
Hi SBI-ers, :)

Could you give me any advice on identifying my ideal site visitor? I'm partway through Day 4, and my niche is math games.

Based on my research using MerchantWords, it looks like these are my potential visitors:

parents, grandparents, aunts, uncles, etc. looking to buying their child/grandchild/niece/nephew/godchild/neighbor an educational gift
    teachers at brick-&-mortar schools
    teachers at online schools
    homeschool parents (also teachers, just a different type)
    after-school program supervisors
    retirees or their adult children

Let me know if you can think of anyone I left out. You're probably wondering why I included retirees. The reason is that "math games for adults" had the highest volume of queries in MerchantWords.

In order from most to least frequent, the categories in my MerchantWords search results were:

Apps & Games
    Toys & Games
    Books
    Trade-In
    Office Products & Supplies
    Sports & Outdoors
    Fourway tie between: electronics, Industrial and Scientific, Kindle Store, Software

How do I figure out who my ideal site visitor is? Who is looking to spend money on math games? Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Moorea
#1364617 by Jacki from Macleod
Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:28 pm
That's still a bit vague. This is what I would do. Set up bios for the ideal visitors. This would look kind of like this;
Martha is a 60 year old grandmother of four. The kids all live a long way off, so she's eager to find games for the kids either online, with her, on Skype, or when they come to visit.

She's got a pension from a company she worked for in the past, and her income is $x a month. She has $x disposable income after she pays for her heat and light, the phone and insurance and groceries. She doesn't own a car, but she'll rent one for when the grandkids come to visit...

Does that make sense? These bios need to be so realistic, you may think you know them.
#1364652 by Moorea S. from USA
Thu Feb 09, 2017 4:43 am
Thanks for that detailed example, Jacki. I just read a ton of Amazon reviews for my niche, however (as suggested in Day 4), and grandparents appear to be only a small fraction of math games purchasers. It looks like parents are the biggest buyers, followed by teachers.

Would you recommend that I choose just one of those groups? Would parents be the best bet because they appear to buy the most in my niche (even though Amazon reviews are not a perfect cross-section of consumers)?

Or were you suggesting that I write a bio to represent each group?
#1364709 by Jacki from Macleod
Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:36 pm
Moorea S. from [NO DOMAIN YET]-[Tucson] wrote:Would you recommend that I choose just one of those groups? Would parents be the best bet because they appear to buy the most in my niche
I think that you need to hone in on exactly the representation you wish to reach. Trying to appeal to a wide array of different people on different paths and in varying places is going to drive you crazy. Stick to one particular segment.

Moorea S. from [NO DOMAIN YET]-[Tucson] wrote:Or were you suggesting that I write a bio to represent each group?
That's not necessary, actually. This is something that will evolve over time - you may be surprised at the demographic that actually visits your site. It might be different than what you imagine now.
#1364710 by Mary from Mico
Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:49 pm
Hi Moorea,

I'd choose one or the other. It's very hard to talk to both teachers and parents. Actually, they buy different games, in different quantities (maybe 15-30 for teachers), with different requirements (vouchers and approvals for teachers - which might mean that your real audience here is the administrators).

If you choose parents, you might include the homeschooling parents or, perhaps better, focus on them. They're very apt to buy good games for their children and often have more than one child as well as local friends and groups.

Mary
#1364719 by Moorea S. from USA
Thu Feb 09, 2017 10:28 pm
I appreciate your advice, Mary. By the way, your printnpractice site is really visually appealing. I couldn't stop exploring it even though it was time to make lunch. I noticed that it appears to cater to parents (including homeschool parents) and teachers. So your suggestion is based on your personal experience, it sounds like?
#1364816 by Mary from Mico
Sat Feb 11, 2017 7:16 am
Hello Morea.

Yes indeed. Just when I think I should be talking to the parents; teachers write to tell me how much they love the resources, to make requests, and to let me know they're sharing.

Then, just when I think, "Hey, this is great! Whole classrooms full of children will be carrying our dot com home on their worksheets." parents will write saying how helpful the site is for them.

:shock:

Actually, I really wish I'd focused on parents alone. They're the ones who are free to spend their own money on their own children. Teachers are not usually so free.

On the other hand, teachers are super generous and buy for their classrooms out of pockets.

:shock:

Always interesting.

Mary
#1365203 by Mary from Mico
Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:22 am
Hi Moorea,

You are so welcome.

You know? I don't know why I did not think of this sooner, but Harvey of [Domain Private] has given some great explanations. I've searched both the forum and the TNT HQ briefly, but could not find the article. If I find it I'll post here. He had some really good ideas - at least for how to talk to this perfect visitor you've identified....

Perhaps the Niche section in the TNT HQ would have good ideas for you?

I found it! Ta-da! It may not be perfectly what you want, but I found it helpful. It's a fun read anyway:

Your Website: The Movie
https://forums.sitesell.com/viewtopic.p ... 0#p1287270

I look forward to seeing what you do.

Mary