Planning Your Monetization Mix is covered in DAY 4 of the Action Guide. It is a critical GO/STOP step in the C T P M process. Get feedback on your chosen Monetization Mix for your new business; or get tips on which monetization options work best for your niche.

Moderator: Sheri from Uneeda

#1383623 by Judith from Quarryville
Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:55 am
Holly said
I have health challenges that are like a full time job, so they mess up my SBI schedule and things take forever it seems. But I've been able to stick to 2 updated pages per day... only about 180 more pages to go!!! Redoing one page takes me 2 days.... new image, edit, and check the next morning. Make changes... it is really time consuming... wish I were faster. Can't wait till some money comes in from all this effort.

Holly it takes me forever to get things done too. It's a refrain my husband hears often. "Why does it take me so long!". But Holly, I don't have huge health issues and it takes me forever too. For instance, I can labour over colour choices for a longtime. Juri mentioned that, I think in the One Goal a Week Challenge, that it took him a while to choose a colour for a link. Honestly, I was happy to hear someone with his talent took a while to choose something like a colour. So please don't be too hard on yourself. It does take time to build a page worth your visitors precious time.

I just popped into your site and I think you must have changed the look and feel, did you not? It is well done! Looks great!
#1383624 by Judith from Quarryville
Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:03 am
Debs, I must confess that I have entered two complete months and that is probably all I will get done until I accomplish my tasks for October. I appreciate what I have learned through this challenge. It has been a tremendous motivator. I am really hoping this thread will hang in there for sometime.

I think the best thing about the excel sheet is that it allows me to see exactly what items are selling and how often. I had a hunch that certain things were selling well but this has given me the hard data. I had tried this once before but your sheet gives some great info.

Thanks again!
#1383628 by Catherine from Ashmore
Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:37 am
Holly,

I'm a researcher by nature (getting things done is much harder for me!), but even with all the research and planning I could think of my courses hardly sell (except the free one-- and students have trouble getting through that...) Still hoping to find ways to improve them and to sell more!

It's impressive that you're keeping to that schedule of two pages/day re-done with new pins, in spite of health issues.

I think a major part of BAM is to do the best we can the first time, and then "if at first you don't succeed, try, try again!"
#1383639 by Debs from SiteSell
Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:21 pm
Catherine from Ashmore wrote:...except the free one-- and students have trouble getting through that...

Catherine, break the free one down into smaller chunks. Free for the first part, small charge for parts 2 and 3 (more or less depending on how long the current course is). You want them to get through part 1, presell at end to part 2 only, end of part 2, you presell to part 3. If you don't have a dedicated sales page for the freebie, do one, even free products should have a sales page. You will however make it only about part 1 and its contents (don't call it part 1 or anything like that, each part should have a proper title relating to its contents).

If they get overwhelmed in just one free course, they won't buy more.

Hope this helps,

Debs
#1383640 by Debs from SiteSell
Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:26 pm
Bill from Talos IV wrote:I'm not ready to implement my new monetization just yet Debs, although I have a pretty good plan as to what I will be doing.

Promoting 4 different thermometers- I own 3 now and the 4th will arrive this week. Need to take pics, build several new promo pages, and start adding links to existing pages.

Create some type of digital product to sell, then re-write some of the appropriate existing pages so that the sale of that product is the MWR. Will remove all other ads from those pages.

I have a lot of other improvements I want to make to my site before I focus on the M.

Even though I doubt that I'll be using a spread sheet, I will track sales performance by monitoring the affiliate stats and scribbling down notes.

Thanks,

Hi Bill,

HURRAH on removing other MWRs from some pages, good decision :)

It doesn't matter what you use to track, so long as you track and compare your different strategies and products. If something isn't selling after a few months and getting at least 1000 unique visitors to the sales (product) page, do some tweaking to see if you can improve the results. If no improvement, it's time to find another product.

All my best,

Debs
#1383641 by Debs from SiteSell
Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:34 pm
Janice from Creede wrote:I will definitely be looking into dog carriers that comply with the airlines.

GREAT!

One more question for anyone who does this method. I think it is called sponsorships, but not sure. I've been approached on numerous occasions and asked how much I charge for someone to provide a guest post.

Providing an article and paying for it to be published is something different. Does anyone do this sort of thing and if so, how did they come up with a policy. Or, do you think it is a bad idea?

I did this on DebtSteps; I had several articles like that. Here is how I handled them:

1. links would be nofollow as it was a paid sponsorship, no exceptions
2. annual renewable fee (if they don't renew, page is removed, or I write my own article on the same keyword) Sometimes someone would ask for a 3 mo. or 6 mo. renewal; I would say ok, but they paid a premium for it as it would involve more frequent management from me. I didn't tell them this, I just gave them the amounts, I.e. instead of $200 USD a year, they would pay $115 USD for 6 mo. or $70 USD for a quarter year.
3. their content would be original for my site only and not distributed elsewhere. I always ran their content through Copyscape, and checked it a couple times during the term of their sponsorship.

Since I had these guidelines, I gave them a break on the annual fee vs. what I would charge for just an ad placement. I was also strictly enforcing the above.

Hope this helps.

Debs
#1383642 by Debs from SiteSell
Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:45 pm
Holly from Rainbow Flat wrote:Should I steer away from the summits too? And just aim towards Amazon (which is up to $12 per month for 3 months... more than ever!!!) and my own products?

Did you do a review of the summits? If not, try that to see if you can presell them. Higher cost items require more effort. If you've never done the summits, you may want to wait until you do. It is also harder to convert to higher cost items you haven't tried yourself.

See my note in reply to Bill a few minutes ago ... if the summits fall into having had 1000 unique visitors to the sales/review page, tweak, if you still can't convert (ask for help/feedback if you need to specific to this), then its time to make them low priority or remove them.

It isn't just what you do on your site to get conversions. It is also what the merchant/product provider does on their site and what happens on sites that post reviews, or sites that track feedback.

1. Does their page convert well?
2. Do they have distractions on the page that could negatively impact your conversion to actual sales?
3. What reviews are out there about the product? Any recent negative feedback?

All my best,

Debs
#1383643 by Debs from SiteSell
Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:48 pm
Judith from Quarryville wrote:I've posted my 1 year plan here if anyone is interested.

https://forums.sitesell.com/viewtopic.php?f=65&t=223981#p1383614

Thanks, Judith. I found it very helpful :)

Debs
#1383651 by Catherine from Ashmore
Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:43 pm
Debs,

Thanks so much! I had redone and reduced the amount of content, but this sounds like it could work better-- and I could add in some content I thought would help but just couldn't give away for free. I'll make those changes and notify current students asap. (I'm also still getting that affiliate review page set up-- will post when done either task.)
#1383674 by Trent from Alberta
Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:07 pm
Debs, you have such great insight! I loved the guidelines you suggested about sponsored guest posts. I just had someone contact me wanting this and had not responded yet.

Holly, Debs had great suggestions regarsing summits and I would like to suggest one more. Offer people free bonuses for buying through your link. I am a fan of some particular motivational type blogger/speaks who are real life friends and have similar audiences. When they promit an event, including summits, they each offer free bonuses unique to them that way it does not feel like they are directly competing with each other.

Maybe some of the people in your audience who do buy are buying through other links. Give them a reason to go througb you.

----

I really like the idea of a life 'transforming' course instead of lower prices ebooks. Not sure exactly how to position that. I also like Debs' suggestion of small chunks. For my niche maybe one on meal planning, one on freezer cooking basics, and one with more advanced techniques.

~Michelle