You need a domain name that fits your niche, has your VPP, and that is short, catchy and brandable (see DAY 5 for ALL of the elements of a perfect domain name). Need help? Post here to get feedback on the Perfect Domain for your Solo Build It! business.

Moderator: Lyn from Canada

#1395591 by Jana from Bernburg
Fri Apr 06, 2018 3:42 pm
Hi guys,

me again. :D
For those of you who don't know me, I want to build a business about the plastic pollution problem in our oceans.
1st part: the threat plastic poses to marine life
2nd part: the dangers to human life
3rd part: plastic-free alternatives in our daily lives (straws, plates, bottles)
4th part: green/eco/plastic-free hotels

Everything seems to revolve around the term "Plastic" as my SCK. However, I had already bought the domain "OceansCare.com" weeks before I even knew about SBI!. It was love at first sight (still is), and even now, after reading through DAY 5, it fulfills most of the required key factors. It's short + sharp, meaningful, easy to spell, easy to remember, unique, descriptive, creative (I think). My only concern is that it might be a little misleading as to what the site is about? Does it convey a clear message about the nature of my business? Yes, eventually, I want to save the oceans but most of my sites will not even mention the ocean, while ALL of my sites will talk about plastic. Do you think I can keep my OceansCare or shall I give it up in favor of a domain that has the word "Plastic" in it?

Second question: I identified my target audience as educated and intellectual young couples or families, so I should write in a sophisticated voice. Will this be a problem as a non mother tongue English speaker? I have a degree in English and I am firm in grammar, spelling etc, but I'm not sure about getting the tone right. People will always know one way or another that I'm not an English native, it's the nature of things. I just don't know how forgiving my audience will be. What do you say?

Thanks again for your help. :)
Look forward to your replies.
Jana
#1395593 by Jacki from Macleod
Fri Apr 06, 2018 3:59 pm
Your domain name is perfect! Don't overthink it, and it's not important nowadays to have your site concept keyword in the domain name.

Even though your perceived audience will be well educated, it's important to write to a lower grade level because people are busy and want quick easy to understand concepts, with lots of images to help. I use Hemingway app which tells you how to simplify and write for grade six level, which sounded crazy to me, as I write to grade 11 or university level left to my own devices. Don't assume that your audience will want convoluted sentences and hard to grasp ideas. Make it easy for them to get on board (he he, see what I did there? :lol: )
#1395598 by Jana from Bernburg
Fri Apr 06, 2018 5:07 pm
Hi Jacki,

Thanks so much for your reply. In the meantime, I completed DAY 5 and found out that the Facebook and Twitter page is already in use (though no new post since 2017).
What's more important (and more concerning), is that there is an OceanCare.org complete with Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest... They are probably not very successful so I didn't find them until using Namecheck today. :-((

So sorry, I should have checked before writing this post.
Back to the drawing board then. :-((
#1395609 by Judith from Quarryville
Fri Apr 06, 2018 6:27 pm
Hi Jana

Your topic is close to my heart. I have shared many videos on my personal Facebook page illustrating how we humans have disgustingly and irresponsibly littered up our world. And unless every single person starts to take account of their actions, then the inevitable is going to happen.

OceanCare.org has a very effective video on their home page. I am surprised they have not purchased oceancare.com as well.

You could use it. You would probably get traffic that intended to find their site. You could also ask them if they would like to purchase it from you. I would keep it at any rate even if you decide to go with another URL.

We can never have too many sites on the net that are for saving our world!

Just some things to think about. :D
#1395614 by Jana from Bernburg
Fri Apr 06, 2018 7:29 pm
Hi Judith,

Thank you. Do you really think I can use my OceansCare?

So the Facebook and the Twitter page of OceanScare is gone, plus there is a site Oceancare.org including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest.
That doesn't leave much room for me, especially in terms of social media. And if OceanCare and OceansCare happen to go to the same conventions, fairs etc? I don't know...

On the other hand, I can't find anything else that I like as much (and is still available)...

@Jacki: Checked the Hemingway app. Looks like a lifesaver to me, hehe :)
#1395692 by Jana from Bernburg
Sat Apr 07, 2018 3:49 pm
Hi again,

sorry to bother you but how do you like

Care4Oceans.com (all but YouTube and Twitter available)
RecycledOcean.com or RecycledOceans.com (all available)?

Thank you!

Have a great Saturday,
Jana
#1395694 by Jacki from Macleod
Sat Apr 07, 2018 4:16 pm
I like the first one but it depends if you're planning on getting active on those social media channels. The second ones are good, but may tend to take you off topic. Plus they're long.
#1395719 by Jana from Bernburg
Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:29 pm
I like the first one too. I'll definitely not use YouTube. Twitter would be nice, but I think I can work well with Pinterest and Instagram.
#1395786 by Judith from Quarryville
Sun Apr 08, 2018 6:54 pm
Hi Jana

What ever is suggested here Jana you will need to make the final call and live with it as you know.

It's probably best to take your time and seek out a few more options. I like Care4Oceans.com too.

TakingCareofOceans.com might be a thought. It's very clear what it would be about and only 17 letters.

Looking forward to seeing what you do with it! :D
#1396053 by Jana from Bernburg
Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:24 am
Hi Judith,

sorry for not replying sooner. I'm taking your advice to think a little more as Care4Oceans sounds great but does not convey my site concept clearly. TakingCareofOceans is a bit too long for my taste.
PlasticIslands.com might be an alternative. It contains my main SCK and hints at holidays/travelling, the sea and plastic, of course.

I'll let you know once decided.

Thanks again to all of you for your suport and help. :)
Jana
#1396063 by Jacki from Macleod
Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:06 pm
Jana from [NO DOMAIN YET]-[Bernburg] wrote:I'll let you know once decided.
Yes, please do.

Thought; could you use the word 'gyre' somehow? It's nice and short.
#1396201 by Jana from Bernburg
Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:31 am
Hi there,

can I bug you with a few more ideas? Jacki, your "gyre" idea was great, so what do you think of

Gyretopia.com
GyreScape.com
Gyre & Straw (will probably become gyrestraw.com)?

I have a favorite but what's yours?

Thanks again!!
Jana
#1396210 by Jana from Bernburg
Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:17 pm
Still searching. I think I like SeaOfStraws or Seas&Straws as well. And it's easier to understand.
#1396211 by Judith from Quarryville
Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:50 pm
Hi Jana

I like seaofstraws.com as that along with water bottles are a huge part of the problem. Gyre is not a commonly known term and may be lost for a lot of people. Care4oceans.com is still my favourite. Just 2 more of my cents. :D