You need a domain name that fits your niche, has your VPP, and that is short, catchy and brandable (see DAY 5 for ALL of the elements of a perfect domain name). Need help? Post here to get feedback on the Perfect Domain for your Solo Build It! business.

Moderator: Lyn from Canada

#1317097 by Maria from Holcombe
Sun Mar 08, 2015 8:37 pm

Thanks sooo much Rachel for your input! :D

To answer your questions -

Rachel from Sneads wrote:Do you have a niche within the fashion designer bags topic that you're interested in? Have you tried to narrow your niche somehow? What's the supply/demand of the handbag niche?

My target niche is to sell native handicraft bags from my country, so that it will cater to those who are looking for unique bags other than the famous brands, but are fashionable as well.
The supply/demand keywords for handbags have good profitability numbers that range from 10k to 300k.

JojiMari, and JojiMariBags do sound appealing to me! I've always liked a name with a hint of Japanese in it, don't know why. Sounds exotic maybe lol.
MariasBags would be awesome too! The, my bags' tags would appear as "Maria's" :wink:

Rachel from Sneads wrote:Of the others you posted I liked coolbagz but feel a bit unsure about it. Bagbuff is good too.

Here's some I've brainstormed and which are probably available (at least a website didn't come up when I typed them into my browser's address bar): (cute, but does it sound like baggy clothing or connected to dogs/doggiebags?) (might be a winner; 8 letters!) (I'm always partial to love )

They're all taken, except for sweetbagz which doesn't give me that "sexiness" appeal. Of course, that's just me. :wink:

Rachel from Sneads (godaddy came up and it says this domain just expired last month and is pending renewal/deletion)

My mind crossed this thought. I wanted "lovebag/s" (to go synonymous and analogous to "lovebug"), but taken. Luvbag/s might work though, will see.

Rachel from Sneads wrote:As for your question about using a brand in your URL, yes, that might be a copyright issue. Best to avoid using any copyrighted brand names. Also, since your site isn't just about Coach bags, it would be best to keep it more open.

Yes, as much as the word "coach" is a common dictionary word, I'd better do away with it.

Love yah :)
#1317234 by Rachel from Sneads
Tue Mar 10, 2015 3:14 pm
Hi Maria,

Happy to help. My domain hasn't changed, it's always been the same.

Sounds like you're on the right path. Keep at it and it will come together.

#1320520 by Yiping from Bélanger
Mon Apr 13, 2015 8:00 pm
When I am think it is good idea to using 'number' to shorten the domain by using "2" instead of "to", '4' instead of 'for'. I realize that it does not really save user's typing when they are using smart-phone to access your website.
You guys should know what I mean when you try to type "" and "" using your smartphone, you should know what I mean.

Now I am not sure if it is good idea. because you have to switch keyboard every time you type letter and then number. and switch back to letter keyboard. again.

What do you guys think?

#1320522 by Mary from Mico
Mon Apr 13, 2015 8:15 pm
I agree heartily!

That's one reason that I am so glad to have no dashes in our new domain names. Sometimes it's easier to spell two words than to use contractions for the same reasons.

I think that odd spellings are a nuisance, too, as mobiles try to correct my spelling.

#1320870 by Scott from
Thu Apr 16, 2015 11:53 am
Here it is! I put a lot of time into this but I feel it flows off the tongue, is easy to remember, contains my site concept and is easy to type for slow pokes like me.

My site is about dog food for your dog (get it?... yur dog). I am quite the character... unconventional but serious about better health for dogs through the food they eat (also chew, dental health as a result of poor food, etc.). I guarantee this site will be different than you have ever read before! No, not just another site about dog food. There are too many dogs out there that are sick and too many parents that want to help their family member but have just about given up because they are TOTALLY confused about what to do because of the influx of all the info out there along w/their own vet advice.

Good health is easy to obtain and should not be obtained through charts full of vitamin, mineral and other "nutrient" requirements. I am going to make it simple (most people will not believe it can be this simple).

My site( and book) will be one which I believe will be the first of it's kind.

I could go on and on but I will leave it at this.

I finally liquidated my real estate business and concrete businesses. I moved in w/my Mom to take care of her so no more driving back and forth 120 mi on a reg basis. No more logging. And now there is no excuse.

Scott and Nimble.

PS... a portion of (or most) of the site proceeds will go towards dog rescue.
#1323010 by Susan from Hermon
Tue May 05, 2015 11:46 pm
My current website, [Domain Private], has been up for 4.5 years. Before I set it up I had purchased (without a dash) at Go-Daddy and parked it for 5 years. It will expire the end of May. Does it make any sense for me to change my current domain name to the un-hyphenated one at that time? Or should I just leave it as is and let the other one expire (or renew it and have it point to [Domain Private])?

Thanks for your help.

[Domain Private]
#1323070 by Mary from Mico
Wed May 06, 2015 5:26 pm
Hi Susan.

I'm here to second Jacki. She's got a good note. Moving a site is huge business and if there's no other reason than the one dash, I'd stay with what you have. Oh, how I'd stay. Also, your domain name [Domain Private] might read like r vad venturing without the dash, meaning I think that the dash helps me understand your site's concept at a glance.

What a great find!

#1323072 by Rachel from Sneads
Wed May 06, 2015 5:47 pm
Andrew from Shawbridge wrote:I posted this elsewhere, but I figured I should put it here too.

I recently went from my long, 23-character domain name, "[Domain Private]" to the new, shortened, 11-character branding:

Have some more details in my main post about it:

Thanks for posting the link here, as I loved reading your story.

Your new, short 11-character URL is awesome. I think that 11 characters works quite well, as that's what mine is too. :lol:

But yours is only two syllables! So nice... and catchy.
#1323075 by Susan from Hermon
Wed May 06, 2015 6:59 pm
Jacki & Mary, Thanks so much for your replies. I was kind of thinking that was the right course and it's good to get your support. Jacki, you said "hang onto the other one" - is there a particular reason for doing that?

Thanks again!