You need a domain name that fits your niche, has your VPP, and that is short, catchy and brandable (see DAY 5 for ALL of the elements of a perfect domain name). Need help? Post here to get feedback on the Perfect Domain for your Solo Build It! business.

Moderator: Lyn from Canada

#1393285 by Wellesley from Montego Bay
Sat Feb 24, 2018 3:05 pm
Hi Lyn and fellow SBIers!
Wellesley here from [Domain Private].

Quick question friends:

I started my site in 2007 when it was suggested we put dashes in the domain, but that has changed.
I understand that it is best without dashes now. Meaning It should have been

Unfortunately someone else has this now and is only selling for a fortune.

I have purchased an NPI for [Domain Private] so I can redirect people from it to my main site for offline promotions etc.

Question though, i have someone redesigning a logo for me.
Do you recommend that I have him design my new logo showing the .net or the old .com (with the dashes)
(Note: I hope to use the logo on souvenir items)

And it is possible to move the site over to the .net version?
Would it worth it?
Or save some money and eventually pay for the ideal .com that i had hoped for?

Your suggestions please. Thanks.
#1393289 by Jacki from Macleod
Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:01 pm
This wouldn't be the best situation and really, the .net would negate any benefit of a non-hyphenated name. Keep an eye out for the non-dashed .com version. I did the same thing, and someone had it for sale for what seemed like a high price, but in the end I paid $200 for it, which was worth it, just for the peace of mind. I just have it parked, I'll never move the site to it.

You can move a site easily to a good domain, using Move It! in Site Central. I lost all rankings and indexing took a long time and a lot of work, so my thought is, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.
#1393300 by Jill from Westbury
Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:50 pm
I agree with Jacki. I would leave it as is for now. I think having a .com is better and you only have two dashes, so I wouldn't stress about changing. Plenty of SBIers are doing well with sites with dashes.

If I were you, I would work on switching to HTTPS. Staying with HTTP could hurt your traffic moving forward. This also comes with some risks as you might lose traffic as you are re-indexed. If/when you switch, have a plan to update and/or add new content to show the SE's you are actively working on your site. This might help you get re-indexed faster. Also, follow all of the steps in the transition article to make sure you do all steps needed for the transition.

Also, in your logo, leave out the .com or .net. Just call your site what it is, My Island Jamaica.

Edit: Just reread your comment that you are using your logo on items. In that case, I would probably have a nice logo with the words and the full URL below it. Just a thought!

Edit 2: I also noticed your site is not mobile friendly. I'd add that to my list too if I were you so you can improve the experience for those on mobile devices. More than half of my traffic is mobile and I'm always looking to improve their experience as well as those on desktops.
#1393305 by Jacki from Macleod
Sat Feb 24, 2018 5:15 pm
All excellent points, Jill. I had a little traffic drop when converting to https, but it's come roaring back.
#1393453 by Wellesley from Montego Bay
Tue Feb 27, 2018 3:30 am
Thanks family.

1) I'll leave it as is
2) I'll use the [Domain Private] on the logo for branded souvenir items
3) I'll try and make the switch to https as soon as possible.

Regards and thanks.