You need a domain name that fits your niche, has your VPP, and that is short, catchy and brandable (see DAY 5 for ALL of the elements of a perfect domain name). Need help? Post here to get feedback on the Perfect Domain for your Solo Build It! business.

Moderator: Lyn from Canada

#1393322 by John from Gladewater
Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:57 pm
I live less than two miles from Google's main campus here in Mountain View, California. And many "googlers" are dental patients of mine. My other passion, besides dentistry, is working for the world. So, on January 15, 2018, I launched a new SBI Website, Save the World Contest. [Domain Private].

The reason I am writing is that, in your many "Proof of Concept" pieces, you often feature sites with strong business success. What this new site has is INSANE Google page rank, in less than 40 days. And all on your platform. Out of over 500,000,000+ pages indexed for the keyword string
save the world contest, we are number 2 on Google, number 1 on Yahoo and number 1 on Bing!!!

Here is how I did it:

I used my keyword phrase save the world contest for the domain name. As you know, Google loves this. I chose no dashes.
I registered this within SBI, and set the Title, tag and description to have this exact keyword phrase.
I then made a Youtube video using the program Content Samurai. The video has the title, content, tag and description to be EXACTLY my keyword string. It also had an http link in the description at Youtube straight back to my SBI site homepage. I uploaded the video to my YouTube channel, which is coming up on one million visitors.
I then embedded this video on my SBI site homepage, so all the code made sense.
I then made sure there was other content on the homepage with related uses of my URL keyword.
I then created inbound links from my authority site [Domain Private], and on other sites I have within my SBI network.
I then got entries from people around the world, and used Taboola to drive some initial traffic to the site, and from personal friends.
Then, I made sure to update everything every day, as the entries came in. Apparently, Google and Youtube want early success.

None of this would have been possible without SiteSell and SBI. And, to get on the first page, for such a popular search term, is pretty amazing. Even when I search with Incognito, the strong pagerank still exists. And, of course, when "video" is selected, we are right at the top. And, in quotes, such as "save the world contest" - there is no contest. Ha!

You can view the current entries for February here: [Domain Private].

P.S. One More Thing: I use to host the input form. What I did was make the notification system to include not only my email address, but also the text string [Email Private]. (my cell number and service provider string). Guess what? When anyone sends an entry, my phone goes "bling" in about 4 seconds, to send me their idea as a TEXT message, and to notify me that another global citizen has entered the contest. And, I also get an email, and have a log within FormSite for cross reference. The Formsite system sends the contestant a "success" message instantly, and I follow up with a "Thank You" email, usually within an hour or less.

Want to see this in action? Go to [Domain Private] and submit your entry. The first prize is up to $500 and will be rising in March as we recruit new sponsors.

Dr. John Burch
[Domain Private]
[Domain Private]
[Domain Private]
#1393351 by Jeff from
Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:08 pm
Hi John. You wrote that Google loves it when the site concept keyword becomes the domain name. That may be the case for keyword phrases like yours, but in general, Google does NOT like it when you use an exact match domain name (for example, for a site about chocolate). If we were to dissect your domain name based on what's in Day 5 of the Action Guide, we'd consider "contest" to be your site concept keyword (just like "anguilla' is Nori's), and "save the world" as the marketing angle or positioning of that keyword (just like "beaches" is Nori's).

I'm not saying any of this to put down your accomplishment of rising to the top of the rankings in a short period of time. I'm saying it for the benefit of any new SBIers who are or will be soon choosing their domain name.
#1393902 by ken-admin
Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:58 am
Hi John,

You always amaze me with what you're up to. Sounds like an interesting contest, folks may want to give it a shot.

And just a short note to clarify H.E.'s comment about "exact match domain" - it's not so much that Google doesn't like it (suggesting a penalty), They just don't like it as much as they used to.

Folks way over-estimate the impact of this, avoiding it like the plague. But there's nothing wrong with having keywords in the domain name. It's not what we suggest - better to pick a unique domain name (see in the AG) that is short, memorable, unique and suggests somewhat the point/aim of your site. If that happens to include a keyword, that's at best a small plus. So it's not a must anymore, not even recommended UNLESS you feel that's your best domain name choice.

A good example is Nori's site, [Domain Private]. She ranked #1 for that exact search term (best anguilla villas") for years, despite increasing competition for the term. And when Google announced "exact match domain" (more than once), it didn't drop at all.

Even today, it's still on page 1 of the SERPs, even though there are so many sites now competing for villa rankings. Nori's main site, meanwhile, has passed best anguilla villas (a 1-page site that has near-zero content), and is near the top for that keyword.

THAT's the way it's supposed to work. Better sites cover the term better, so rank higher. So bottom line...

It's not a penalty. It's just not worth much anymore. :-) Much of your ranking is due to the long-tail nature of the term itself, and the fact that your site focuses on that.

Hope that clarifies and best of luck with the contest. I hope some from these forums give it a shot! :-)

All the best,
#1393921 by Martin from Big Flats
Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:05 am

Sorry, but I don't think this is helpful for newbies and I'm surprised that Ken has drawn our attention to this.

SBI teaches us to "keep it real" and adopt a sustainable long term strategy.

I don't think this is a sustainable long term strategy.

I've seen very similar strategies used by "gurus" in the past (for mini sites), and the short term "success" does not last.
If this "success" lasts more than a few months I'll be amazed.

As Ken said...

Much of your ranking is due to the long-tail nature of the term itself, and the fact that your site focuses on that.

Indeed, the more obscure (long tail) the keyword, the easier it is to get an initial, high, google listing.

But how much traffic is actually coming to the site?

When I look at Alexa, [Domain Private] (which is 9 years old) is ranked 14,035,223, whilst [Domain Private] is unranked.

In my opinion, everyone will do much better in the long term if they focus on the solid, proven methods outlined in the Action Guide, and not try to "game the system" which I think this is doing.

#1393942 by Michael from New Limerick
Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:51 pm
It occurs to me (addressing Martin) that this site may not rank on Alexa as yet because of its young age. My understanding is that it takes a few months before Alexa will "take note" of a new site.

This is certainly an interesting strategy. I do not know that it would work for all sites and topics.

Wishing you all a wonderful day!