You need a domain name that fits your niche, has your VPP, and that is short, catchy and brandable (see DAY 5 for ALL of the elements of a perfect domain name). Need help? Post here to get feedback on the Perfect Domain for your Solo Build It! business.

Moderator: Lyn from Canada

#1393968 by Anthony from Culverden
Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:46 pm
Hi everyone,

I am doing a site on travel trailers where the VPP is to teach people what to avoid and to make sure they know what to look for before they buy,

The client is between 45 and 80 years old and has their own home. Children have left home. leaving mom and dad to decide what they want to do with their new found freedom.

I have four names which I would like suggestions and feedback on. They are: (travel trailers education) (travel trailer education) (travel trailers revealed) (travel trailers unveiled)

These are the four I have come up with please let me know what you think and please be honest so I can serve my client in the best way possible.

#1394033 by Debs from SiteSell
Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:37 pm
Personally I'm not a fan of abbreviating essential words in a domain unless you turn it into your brand. The reason is because of how hard it is to read/understand what the domain name is telling you.

To me, leaving letters out does not make a brand. I would rather see the words spelled out. Alternately, come up with a real brand for your site.

What is your VPP really? What makes your site (or what will make your site) different from any other site out there in your niche? What "terms" (words) do those who love travel trailers (living or vacationing) use in their RV (TT) lifestyle that might fit?

All my best,

#1394037 by Bill from Talos IV
Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:06 pm
Unless your client wants to keep the site focus on travel trailers (towables) only, consider using "RV" instead. That would give the site the option to cover both travel trailer AND motorhomes - both have a lot of systems in common, so it wouldn't be too much of a stretch.

Using "RV" would open up a lot more short, snappy domain name possibilities.

I found one that might work, and it's available:

Have a good one
#1394045 by Cath from Italy
Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:41 pm
Hi Tony,

I'm actually in your demographic and to be honest, as Debs says, if I saw any of the names you've mentioned I wouldn't have a clue what the site was about, so I'd skip past.

RV I understand perfectly, even though it's really an American term and I'm European!

And, as Bill says, it opens the doors to a great domain name.

Hope that's helpful.

#1394063 by Anthony from Culverden
Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:10 pm
Ok Debs, I get it, my VPP is unclear which makes my domain name unclear as well?

My original thinking was to help people avoid a nightmare. A travel trailer that has hidden faults that is not obvious until you have paid out and start using the trailer. This is what happened to me and my wife.

The travel trailer has been nothing but a financial nightmare since we purchased it. This is part of the VPP along with the experiences and sights you can have when you own one. This is what we would have liked without the financial nightmare. Trying to make lemonade out of a lemon.

I thought of a domain name for this called which is more focused on the topic I would cover but this got lost in the MKL due to the variety of the subject matter. Is this a better domain name or would be better?

You clearly pointed out by asking what my VPP was Debs? So you have caused me to rethink back to my original intent which makes my site different from the rest. Is this better or is more needed? Or do I need a session with a pro to get this nailed? Let me know, thanks Debs.

#1394066 by Clare from Concepcion
Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:02 am

I'm sort of in your demographic (but have a young child) and would love to know how to choose a travel trailer with confidence!

I look forward to your site!

#1394079 by Nancy from 90% Persistence-10% Inspiration
Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:46 am
Antony, I'd stay away from URLs that contained negative words like "nightmare". I'd stick with a name that promises them exactly what they desire.
#1394265 by Bill from Talos IV
Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:58 pm
Hey Tony,

While I was taking my morning walk the thought popped into my head that "TT" is a very common abbreviation for "travel trailer", and thought that might help you in your search for the perfect domain. But I see that you've already chosen a domain. Looks like a good one! Good luck with the site.

I've been living full time in my travel trailer for the last 5 years or so, summers near Seattle and winters in Arizona (where I'm at now). I know a lot about RV problems, and have repaired quite a few things on mine myself. You'll have plenty of topics to fill your site out, I'm sure!

Have a good one,
#1394276 by Dee from Cape Cod
Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:20 am
Great name, Tony! :D

Don't forget to grab the name at FB, Twitter, Pinterest, etc. - whatever social sharing sites you plan to (or might) use in the future. Get 'em now before someone else snaps 'em up!

I wish you tons of fun and success with your site/business!

Best Regards,