Ask questions or offer tips on "supporting site pages" such as About Us, Visitor Sitemap, Terms of Use, Disclaimer, Privacy Policy, etc. Also ask or help regarding copyright protection ... what to do, how to avoid infringement, and how to enforce your copyright/Trademark. "Intellectual Property" is an important part of building business equity - be sure.

Moderator: Elly from professional-counselling.com

Solo Build It! Holiday Special - Save 33%
#1369310 by Sassy from VeganCoach.com
Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:40 pm
Hi Guys!

Hope this is in the right spot.

I've had (and been paying for) a DMCA badge on my site since at least 2011. When I first got it, I used it sporadically. But it's such a HUUUUUGE time suck! I haven't really done anything with it since 2013.

So at this point, the ONLY reason I pay per month is to have the badge on my site.

Does anyone have any thoughts about whether or not it's even worth it these days to pay for a DMCA badge?

Thank you in advance for your time. 8)
#1369319 by Nancy from 90% Persistence-10% Inspiration
Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:25 pm
Sassy, I wouldn't bother with it. If you put it on your site to protect yourself against being sued for inadvertent copyright infringement, I don't think that it would do much good.

1st) The "safe harbor" provision only exempts Internet intermediaries from copyright infringement liability provided they follow certain rules, And since you are not a hosting company or a search engine it may not apply.

2nd) In the US, anyone can sue you for anything. I'd put my money into getting an LLC instead if you don't already have one.

STANDARD CYA STUFF:
This is my personal opinion only. I am not a lawyer. I do not give advice on the law. Consult with an attorney to know for sure.
#1369320 by Sassy from VeganCoach.com
Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:30 pm
Nancy, thanks. I have it on my site to protect my content from being stolen. I was under the impression it keeps all the robbers and thugs at bay — or at least makes them think twice before stealing my stuff. :)
#1369322 by Forum Admin
Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:33 pm
Hi Sassy,

Seems like having the badge is more of a personal judgement call. If you aren't using it because of how time consuming it is to keep up with then you may already have your answer.

From what I have read, more people than not ever even see these badges on websites or know what it means if they do. The upside of having one as you know is you have recourse if/when someone copies material from your site. But of course that means keeping up with it.

Erin
Forum Admin
#1369402 by Forum Admin
Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:07 pm
Just a quick clarification, I meant to say you have recourse the moment you publish anything, button or not. We offer articles on what to do re: DMCA, should you need them. Here is one of those articles, for example...

http://sbitips.sitesell.com/copyright.html

Erin
Forum Admin
#1370516 by Paul from Mollymook Beach, NSW
Sat May 06, 2017 6:20 am
Hey Natalie

In summary, it is an online service that provides an opportunity for you to protect your content. There are paid versions that you can get but you can also get a free sticker. Here's the site http://www.dmca.com/

Probably this may be the most complete thread (worth a read past the first troublesome posts); https://forums.sitesell.com/viewtopic.php?f=91&t=173335 but if you search DMCA in the forums you will find heaps. Ken also initiated a thread on it a couple of years ago; https://forums.sitesell.com/viewtopic.php?f=91&t=200762#p1207202

Also worth a look is Copyscape.

Whether you need such services is really a personal choice.

Hope this helps
Paul
PS Nice look & feel & voice on the site!
Last edited by Paul from Mollymook Beach, NSW on Sat May 06, 2017 6:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
#1370517 by Natalie (SBI for WP user from Vincentia)
Sat May 06, 2017 6:32 am
Many thanks for this Paul, I appreciate it. I have sooooo much to learn! It can be overwhelming but I'll just concentrate on writing my content and then I'm sure I'll take action on all these other things in the right moment 😍
Thanks again
#1370519 by Natalie (SBI for WP user from Vincentia)
Sat May 06, 2017 6:37 am
Oh and thank you for the site feedback Paul! I didn't know if you could see my site as my name comes up as Natalie (SBI for WP user from Vincentia)