Ask questions or offer tips on "supporting site pages" such as About Us, Visitor Sitemap, Terms of Use, Disclaimer, Privacy Policy, etc. Also ask or help regarding copyright protection ... what to do, how to avoid infringement, and how to enforce your copyright/Trademark. "Intellectual Property" is an important part of building business equity - be sure.

Moderator: Elly from professional-counselling.com

#1378486 by Nancy C from Elk Grove Village
Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:26 pm
Today was the first time I'd ever used Copyscape, thinking naively that no one would be interested in copying my nerdy website. Boy was that wrong. I now have 443 lines of results to deal with. Basically I understand how to ask people to take stuff down, but I have four general questions that would reduce that total by quite a bit if I could understand the answers.

1. If I'm in the U.S. and I know that two of my contributors of C2 pages are in other countries, would you suggest that I just take down my two offending C2 pages and be done with it? Or would search engines look upon that as some type of admission of guilt on my part? There could be more than two pages also, but I noticed two in my quick review. Each of these two people published the same material they sent me in several other places, and I'm not going to know whether I was the first, as I didn't keep a record of when these two pages were built. Live and learn.

2. In fact, even beyond the issue of C2 contributors who are beyond U.S. law, would it be easier and just as effective to rewrite the offending text as compared to hunting down owners of other sites and waiting for them to comply or not comply? Or do search engines think that if I do that, I'm the guilty party?

3. A bunch of these, probably at least 100, are from C2 page instructions that I think are generated by Sitesell. Check out whether you think I'm right, or whether I wrote this text somewhere I cannot find right now. Copyscape reports that on several of my pages that include C2 invitations, there are a number of instances of other websites that duplicate these words:

... Add a Picture/Graphic Caption (optional) Click here to upload more images ( optional) Add a Picture/Graphic Caption (optional) Add a Picture/Graphic ... Caption (optional) Add a Picture/Graphic Caption (optional) Author Information (optional) To receive credit as the author, enter your information below.

4. In one instance that I noticed, I was using language from a major U.N. initiative and it would be wrong content-wise not to use their language pretty closely. I acknowledged the source, but didn't put it in quotation marks because it wasn't a completely exact quote. If I go to the exact quote and use quotation marks and a complete footnote, would that be appropriate and get away from the duplicate content issue?

I'm looking forward to learning more. Needless to say the Copyscape bug is now on my site, and I'm putting a regular check on my calendar. Thanks for your help.
#1378492 by Jacki from Macleod
Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:02 pm
I wouldn't worry too much about any of those. The only time I go on a rampage is if someone has wantonly stolen a whole page, or my images (very sensitive about my images). If you're sure that this is causing you issues, by all means change the offending C2's. And don't worry about it looking like 'admitting guilt'. They're not watching you that closely.

Nancy C from Elk Grove Village wrote: A bunch of these, probably at least 100, are from C2 page instructions that I think are generated by Sitesell.
There's nothing you can do about these. They're everywhere.
#1378660 by Nancy C from Elk Grove Village
Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:53 pm
Thanks, Jacki. I did take down two C2 pages that were repeated considerably over the net, and stopped worrying about things I can't control. Now I'm in the process of asking a few people to take down their stuff; one did steal my whole page without attribution. In other cases where the thievery by fairly large organizations is minor, I'm just going to reword my own page as part of a refresh. Well-meaning state and local governments, as well as non-profits, have taken my stuff without giving us credit or asking permission, but I figure interns and inexperienced staffers have done some of that. Of course the irony is that they have copyrights and sometimes strict warnings not to copy their own pages!
#1378661 by Jacki from Macleod
Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:59 pm
Nancy C from Elk Grove Village wrote:Of course the irony is that they have copyrights and sometimes strict warnings not to copy their own pages!
That is ironic! I might contact them, in the interests of pointing out, kindly, that they are hypocrites. Who knows, if it's a .edu site, that might mean a great link. :D