Ask questions or offer tips on "supporting site pages" such as About Us, Visitor Sitemap, Terms of Use, Disclaimer, Privacy Policy, etc. Also ask or help regarding copyright protection ... what to do, how to avoid infringement, and how to enforce your copyright/Trademark. "Intellectual Property" is an important part of building business equity - be sure.

Moderator: Elly from professional-counselling.com

#1392214 by Jamesina from Surrey
Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:01 pm
Hi
This really made me feel sick! My old domain name has been bought by someone and they are using my old content which is my property on their site. Some of the links don`t work and some do. My copyright dates are still at the foot of each page and there are ads on all the pages. I checked Who Is and got in touch with the site`s host but they just sent me an email that they are looking into it and then after that an email with a blank photo.

I guess they got the content from the "Way Back Machine" which has the old look and feel before I changed it..

I was hoping in the near future to use my old content which I have saved on a disk to create a Kindle book. Can anyone advise me what to do?

Gem
#1392222 by Jacki from Macleod
Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:32 pm
Unfortunately, this happens way too often. I would file a DCMA report, and one with Google too, especially if they have Google ads on the pages. The problem here is that you didn't have the content published at the time they stole it, so it *could* look like they owned it first. I would try and get copies of the same content from the Way Back Machine, which basically proves your ownership.

If you need help, contact a lawyer well versed in copyright and intellectual property. And, don't give up! We need to take every instance of theft seriously, and stamp it out! :twisted:
#1392253 by Debs from SiteSell
Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:06 pm
You published it first, so yes you own it. Jacki gave great advice, please do follow it. You can find more about filing DMCA (copyright infringement) in Tips and Techniques HQ:

http://sbitips.sitesell.com/copyright.html

All my best,

Debs
#1392274 by Jamesina from Surrey
Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:36 pm
Thanks for your support Jackie and Debs. Yes I will file a case with the DMCA and Google. It will not take them long to figure out it is my content. The copyright dates are still at the bottom of all the pages when the domain name was my property which proves my authorship. It`s this kind of thing that steals time away from getting on with my site. But Heh hoe that`s life! Have a great day girls!
#1392277 by Jamesina from Surrey
Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:36 pm
I have a copy of the DMCA form but it says I need to provide urls of my copyright pages which is no good to me as I am not using the content online anymore. Just had a look again in Whois and the status of [Domain Private] by the registra is
clientDeleteProhibited
clientTransferProhibited
...is this significant? The registry for this domain name also ends next month. Can it be renewed while under this status?
#1392278 by Jacki from Macleod
Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:50 pm
Jamesina from Surrey wrote:I have a copy of the DMCA form but it says I need to provide urls of my copyright pages which is no good to me as I am not using the content online anymore
There is another form (I think) that gives more options.

Jamesina from Surrey wrote:Status:
clientDeleteProhibited
clientTransferProhibited
...is this significant? The registry for this domain name also ends next month. Can it be renewed while under this status?
This doesn't mean anything.
#1392301 by Jamesina from Surrey
Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:02 am
Thanks Jackie
I will look for another form. Just had an update from Pheenix. Inc;. the host company and they have basically washed their hands from it saying: Jamesina ,
We have forwarded your message to the registrant. Please work with them to resolve the matter as we are a neutral party and are unable get involved.

They might have at least given some advice. I do not have a name or and address for the registrant.