Ask questions or offer tips on "supporting site pages" such as About Us, Visitor Sitemap, Terms of Use, Disclaimer, Privacy Policy, etc. Also ask or help regarding copyright protection ... what to do, how to avoid infringement, and how to enforce your copyright/Trademark. "Intellectual Property" is an important part of building business equity - be sure.

Moderator: Elly from professional-counselling.com

#1396091 by Katia, Anastasi, Apostoli from We Love Crete
Sat Apr 14, 2018 3:39 am
Hi All,

We have numerous affiliate programs in use on our site, as we have done for years.

I am seeing disclaimers on a lot of SBI sites now.

I must have missed this memo! :oops:

Do I need to have a disclaimer section? Is it compulsory? I don't really see the point of listing all those company names and I thought I had read in the T&Cs that I was not allowed to use those company names?

If so, shall I put it on the bottom of the privacy policy page?

[Domain Private]/privacy-policy.html

I could make the anchor text 'privacy policy and disclaimer' and go to this page but the url of the page will still be only 'privacy-policy' or do I need to create a whole new page?

Kind regars
Katia
#1396115 by Kim from SiteSell Support
Sat Apr 14, 2018 4:07 pm
Here is our Tips and Techniques HQ article on "Disclaimer Example" which you can edit to suit your needs...

http://sbitips.sitesell.com/disclaimer.html

You can place your privacy policy and related pages at the bottom of each page by adding it to the Footer Sitewide Dot or the Bottom Navigation Sitewide Dot.

These Forums threads will give you more information...

https://forums.sitesell.com/viewtopic.ph ... r#p1341022

https://forums.sitesell.com/viewtopic.ph ... disclosure

The second link mentions Amazon, but if you read through the thread, you will find more information.

Best regards,
Kim
SiteSell Support Team
#1396150 by Katia, Anastasi, Apostoli from We Love Crete
Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:00 am
Thanks Kim,

I can see a great disclaimer example there on the first link - thank you this is much appreciated. That seems like a good idea.

Is the affiliate disclaimer compulsory or just seems a good idea? :oops: Does anyone dare answer this question? I am sorry but I am confused. I don't really want to list all the affiliates we use on the site! And also I thought it best not to use their company names as they are protected.

Kind regards

Katia
#1396154 by Wendy C (EelKat) from La Puente
Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:42 am
>>Is the affiliate disclaimer compulsory or just seems a good idea?

My understanding was that it was required by the FTC (US gov).

https://www.ftc.gov

https://www.ftc.gov/enforcement/rules/rules-and-guides

There was some sort of a law change (US gov) last year, that resulted in requiring a disclaimer. I forget now what exactly it said and what specifically it required. (The links Kim provided, probably mention it.)

I know at that same time, Amazon had changed their ToS because of the FTC change, and then Google also made a change, and both Amazon and Google had stated that we had to tell people ON EVERY PAGE of the website that we used Amazon and Google ads. Amazon went so far as to give us a line of text which they said we had to copy and paste EXACTLY or they would deactivate accounts.

I remember panicking over the whole thing at the time trying to figure out what to do, and asking around what other people were doing to try to figure out what I should do.

Part of the panic for me was that, I live in one of the 11 states (Maine), where use of affiliates was banned, so I had never used affiliates before, because those of us living in any of the states that banned them, had not been allowed to do so. When the FTC changed those laws, suddenly all 50 states were allowed to use affiliate links as well. So, I was VERY new to affiliates last year when this all happened.

In the end, as a result of asking what others were doing, I ended up putting the following text in my footer:

Code: Select allThe law banning affiliate marketing in the State of Maine (passed August 2013) was over ruled April 4, 2017. Yay! As of April 7, 2017, this web site is now monetized with affiliate links, something you never saw here before.

Laws require that we place this notice on our site informing you of this change.

You can find out more about the FTC Laws at:  https://www.ftc.gov

https://www.ftc.gov/enforcement/rules/rules-and-guides

“We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.”

We are currently testing out various affiliate monetization options, including LinkShare, Share-a-Sale, Commission Junction, Click Bank, and Amazon Associates Affiliate Program. Expect to see a variety of banner, image, and text link ads throughout this site, in various places, as we try out different sizes, styles, formats, companies, and programs, to determine which ones are a best fit for this site. This testing of new monetization options will probably be on going through out 2017. You can expect to see ads being moved and changed daily until we find the ones we feel best fits our goals.

Also new: We've been approved by Google to test out a new type of Google ad program, that displays "intelligent" and "responsive" ads based off of YOUR internet browsing search history, showing you ads based of YOUR interests. These new AI ads are part of Google's artificial intelligence program, known as RankBrain, and are displayed based on which web site you've visited in the last 28 days, as well as items you've bought off online stores, and any search terms you've typed into your browser. We at [Domain Private] have no control over what ads this AI ad program displays, as the ads are based off your browser history and not our web site topics.

It included the text that Amazon required, included the text Google required, and listed affiliates the way the FTC required, and notified readers where to find more information (the links to the FTC website).

By putting it in the footer is was on every page of the site as was required by Amazon and Google.

That covered it for me.

I've seen others do different things.

I also created a page called "FTC Compliance" and put that page in with my site info pages (About mee, About this site, Cookies policy, etc) And put a link to that in the footer as well, just in case the footer one was wrong. Over on that page I put more detailed info on how my site was monetized, including to talk about my art sales on Zazzle and my book sales on Amazon.

So that was my personal translation of the situation and how I dwelt with it. Hope that helps.
#1396156 by Katia, Anastasi, Apostoli from We Love Crete
Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:54 am
Thank you Eelkat, :)

I really appreciate your thoughts and sharing, it makes the situation very clear.

We will look into the links provided by support and your examples too.

Happy building

Katia
#1396158 by Cath, SiteSell Content Team
Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:10 am

Hi Katia,

As Wendy says, it's a requirement of US FTC laws to state clearly when links are affiliate links. The Amazon statement must (as Wendy also says) be precisely worded as Amazon instruct, but that wording doesn't have to appear on every page. Their policy states:

"You must clearly state the following on your Site or any other location where Amazon may authorize your display or other use of Content: “We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.” "

The Google Adsense instructions (this is a link) are slightly different. They are to do with the fact that Google uses cookies. Google says:

"AdSense publishers must have and abide by a privacy policy that discloses that third parties may be placing and reading cookies on your users' browsers, or using web beacons to collect information as a result of ad serving on your website. Learn more about preparing your privacy policy."

Their advice about privacy policies is very helpful.

So having an affiliate statement and a privacy policy are really two different things. The way a lot of people (including me) deal with it is:

• Have a privacy policy which includes Google's wording and links back to their privacy policy.

• Have a separate policy about affiliate links, describing what they mean and adding a section about Amazon, with their wording. I also include a list of my affiliate partners.

• Have a statement about affiliate links on any page which has affiliate links, or if you want to be on the safe side have that statement on each page of your site. It should be easily seen by site visitors, not hidden away, and it should lead back to your affiliate policy - wherever you decide to have it.

• I have a brief, personalised statement about affiliate links in a site-wide dot right at the top of the right column and I make it more personal by saying it helps give my chickens more treats... :D .

• To be even more safe (because the FTC wording is not that clear) some people put the word "affiliate link" next to any affiliate links they have. In that way, you can be sure that people who haven't seen the statement have seen some for of warning.

I put links to both the privacy and affiliate policies in my footer. That saves having to put a long statement there. If you want to take a look, feel free. [Domain Private]

All these statements are likely to have to change when the EU General Data Protection Regulation comes into effect on 25 May. SiteSell will be providing information about that in time for the May deadline.

Hope that helps.

Cath.
#1396189 by Jill from Westbury
Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:44 am
One other thing to keep in mind is the FTC disclaimer needs to be provided BEFORE the first affiliate link on your page. You need to have it as close as possible to that link (above it, not below). It also needs to be obvious to the reader and not hidden within other text (change of color or font will help it stand out).

Many affiliate companies have this in their Ts & Cs now too. If you don't comply, they have the right to drop you from the program. All of the ones I work with have emailed updated Ts & Cs to include this clause.

Here is a little more information on the FTC's website: https://www.ftc.gov/tips-advice/busines ... are-asking

Jill