Have questions on how to read the various traffic HQs available in SBI!? Ask away! SE HQ - Need help understanding your rankings? Here is the place to post on anything that's in Search Engine HQ. Value Exchange HQ will help you trade value for value, safely. Image and video search (YouTube) is HOT! Maximize Google SERP returns, sure. But others, too! Click Data is ready to give you the stats for the Link Library (Click-Throughs) and Tracker Library (Click-Ins). Everything search-related - GO!

Moderators: Wendy from Toronto, Elly from professional-counselling.com

#1369041 by Susan from sunny (read: hot) central Florida
Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:14 pm
Hi there, Susan here.

I am contemplating deleting many obsolete pages on my established site (food dehydrating one). I would love feedback on the ramifications (SEO-wise) of deleting pages, i.e. google 301(?) penaties(?); page links in old posts that other people may have shared and are still hovering around on the net, that sort of thing ...

I also want to stop giving away all my content for free, so that's also another reason for my question.

Any and all input would be much appreciated!

Thanks!
Susan :-)
#1369044 by Jacki from Macleod
Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:25 pm
The ramification is how good it feels to get rid of all that old junk that's cluttering up your site, and giving you palpitations. Do it, and make sure your 404 (no-such-url.html) page is great, funny, entertaining, and also has a search bar or links to your most popular pages. Clap the dust off your hands and call it a job well done :D

PS: Google doesn't want that old junk cluttering up their index either.
#1369047 by Susan from sunny (read: hot) central Florida
Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:06 pm
So Jacki, (thanks!) so ... I don't need to worry about pages going bye bye ... just, like you said, have a decent "no such url" ... and if that's all there really is to it, then thanks Jacki (as always!)

Cheers,
Susan
#1369054 by Douglas from Planet Earth
Sat Apr 15, 2017 12:54 am
I've deleted quite a few pages over time. Yep, I enjoy getting rid of junk. The only annoying thing is Google keeps pretending they are there for quite some time but eventually they disappear.

Cheers,

Doug C.