Have questions on how to read the various traffic HQs available in SBI!? Ask away! SE HQ - Need help understanding your rankings? Here is the place to post on anything that's in Search Engine HQ. Value Exchange HQ will help you trade value for value, safely. Image and video search (YouTube) is HOT! Maximize Google SERP returns, sure. But others, too! Click Data is ready to give you the stats for the Link Library (Click-Throughs) and Tracker Library (Click-Ins). Everything search-related - GO!

Moderators: Wendy from Toronto, Elly from professional-counselling.com

#1377847 by David from California
Sat Jul 29, 2017 4:11 pm
Please help. I suspect that I have a number of orphaned pages when changing over to BB2 from HTML.

How do I find them?

Also, does Search Engine HQ list all pages or just spidered pages?

Thanks in advance :)
#1377862 by Mary from Mico
Sat Jul 29, 2017 7:50 pm
Hi David,

Good question.

I've used the Page Manager on Site Central to search for orphaned pages, yet I cannot remember exactly what I'd done.

YOURSITE/urllist.txt

Can give you a good list, too. I've seen it in alphabetical order lately.

Oh, how I wish there were a tool! I wonder if SBI could do something like this? That and automatic breadcrumbs might go together.....

Following to learn.

Mary
#1377863 by Carol from East Anglia
Sat Jul 29, 2017 7:57 pm
if concerned about a particular page having no internal links from my site I have used this site in the past...

https://moz.com/researchtools/ose/

After you put in your domain name you will see some filters you can choose from. If you select "only internal" it will show if there are any other pages linking to it from within your site.

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Carol
#1377882 by David from California
Sat Jul 29, 2017 11:03 pm
Carol and Mary - thank you for getting back to me.

What I have done:
    [list=]In Site Manager Search Engine HQ I copied and downloaded the table, pasted it into Excel spreadsheet.
    Sorted the first column alphabetically and got rid of non-URLs to give me one column with all my pages.
[/list]

Then:
[list=]Downloaded free ScreamingFrog and ran it (it spiders your site).
In the Internal tab, it returned all the spidered pages.
Copied those URLs to the 2nd column in spreadsheet and sorted alphabetically.[/list]

The URL that don't show up in the spidered list are orphaned pages.

Problem 1 is that SBI Search Engine HQ does not list C2 pages while the spider does. So you must go through and identify which are C2 and get rid of those.

Compare the two lists. It is then just a matter of eliminating the pages that appear in both lists - those are fine.

The URLs left are the pages that are orphaned.

Problem 2 - Screaming Frog free version only returns 500 pages, so if the total of your regular and C2 pages is more than 500 you will not be sure to find all your orphaned pages. But it is sure better than doing nothing.

So far I have found many orphaned pages - this is due to change of navigation when switching to BB2 as well as not catching some of the less visible links to T3 or T4 pages when redoing my pages.

PS Why is the list formatting STILL not working?
#1377894 by Mary from Mico
Sun Jul 30, 2017 1:56 am
Hi David.

Thank you for this update. You're so much handier than I am! I know that stuff is very handy, but I just cannot learn another thing right now. I would LOVE to learn Adobe and I think I "should" learn Excel. They're on the two year plan. :D

Yes, I also had quite a few orphaned pages when I changed some navigation at one point.

I used these lists as a way to offer a site map, too. I've done a bit of a site map trick that I really like (it's my own invention, so no idea if this is good SEO wise or not):

I made a reusable block on some of my T2s to list the T3s. I've not gotten this finished on my small site, but I'm happy with the few T2s I've finished. This allows me to add the new T3s to the T2 and the Site Map at the same time. 'Just an idea while you have those wonderful lists handy.

Have a great week!

Mary
#1378313 by David from California
Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:56 pm
Debs: Thanks for getting back to me :) I still am not sure how to make a list, like out of the following

I'm over 50... way over.
I don't think as clearly as I used to.
I never did think much.

Back to the subject of orphaned files.

When I began switching over to BB2, I had created a template file named .draft saved as a draft.

After not using it for awhile, I started again using it to clone for new pages.

But I forgot that in the Edit Page Info tab, I had checked the boxes ...keep out of search results and ...stop search engines.

So when I created new pages from that clone they were not being spidered. That part of the page info is hidden until you open it and I ASSUMED that it was default.

Then it finally dawned on me. Yep, latest pages were all DON'T SPIDER pages. A few were key T2 pages that linked to T3 pages, so spiders were getting confused, therefore pages orphaned.

See list at beginning of this comment;

:shock:

PS Marylyn from Melbourne - if you see this, maybe check your pages for this.
#1378404 by David from California
Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:51 pm
Well, I'm still struggling with this. I have identified a number of orphaned pages and am fixing them. However...

I checked Google, which says that I have 389 pages indexed (Peru site). However, combining regular pages and C2 pages, Site Builder says 517 pages.

So I have around 100 orphaned pages.